T-Mobile banning IM on Web 'n Walk is like...

Guest finisterre

Guest finisterre

BT could use the same argument to say the use of IM from home is banned 'cos they want you to phone or text from your landline instead.

It's just a non-sensical argument.

I'm thinking of moving from Orange to T-Mob (with Web 'n Walk) when the MDA Vario II is released - but if one aspect of the internet is to be off limits, maybe I shouldn't.

They could at least charge IM separately, outside of the ?7.50 bundle, so I could at least use it without risking them taking action against me.

Guest pd.ryder

I know this argument is in their T&C's, but being a not-so-techie Smartphone user, how can they differentiate the traffic? Do they have the time / resources to monitor all the data traffic which will be whizzing around their servers? Would they / could they 'wall' the MSN (or other) IM servers? I can only presume they haven't stripped their devices of MSN Messenger.

Dunno. It would seem to be a hell of a job for not a lot of data use.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Guest Jasonkruys

As is stated in the other thread about this, there are two things...

1. IM is not listed in the T&C's for the 7.50 option, just the PRO version.

2. It is still not sure that when they list IM, they are referring to MSN-type applications, and not push-to-talk or some similiar technology..it seems people are being told different things when they phone up!

I don't know a smartphone/windows mobile user that does not use MSN once in a while, and I am yet to see a post/indication that someone has actually been spanked by T-Mobile for using it, so I guess the abov two points ring true, and we are safe for the moment. The other thing to consider is that T-Mobile ship their phones with MSN installed.

Guest tsutton

Where do you hear that?

I was told by T-Mobile, saying that IM is no-no on the ?7.50 a month but is OK on the Professional.

Guest pd.ryder

I never contemplated the push-to-talk stuff, never having had a device that has it. Does that system use the net as carrier? Maybe they do mean PTT. I really can't see why they would get upset about MSN, it's not exactly data-intensive, especially the mobile version (I have managed to send files 3-400Mb over MSN on the PC).

Guest xspyda

It's down to what T-Mob class as IM. I use IM regularly and have not been warned in any way, shape or form. IM after all is only text and uses minimal data. It would make sense to ban the use of voip but that's not IM.

Guest sporkguy
It's down to what T-Mob class as IM. I use IM regularly and have not been warned in any way, shape or form. IM after all is only text and uses minimal data. It would make sense to ban the use of voip but that's not IM.

I use MSN heavily on my SP5 as well and i've not heard a squeek out of them yet.

When they include 900 texts in my tariff I can't see why they'd complain about losing out to MSN when I barely even use the full 900 messages and wouldnt even if I didnt have MSN on there!

Guest pd.ryder
Hiya,

Spoke to tmobile, who said that im is banned, it is counted as binr "mobile telephony".

So now we know....

Did you specifically ask about MSN Messenger, which is apparently bundled with T-Mob devices?

Guest confucious
Did you specifically ask about MSN Messenger, which is apparently bundled with T-Mob devices?

Is it? It isn't on the MDA Pro AFAIK

Guest pd.ryder
As is stated in the other thread about this, there are two things...

2. It is still not sure that when they list IM, they are referring to MSN-type applications, and not push-to-talk or some similiar technology..it seems people are being told different things when they phone up!

I don't know a smartphone/windows mobile user that does not use MSN once in a while, and I am yet to see a post/indication that someone has actually been spanked by T-Mobile for using it, so I guess the abov two points ring true, and we are safe for the moment. The other thing to consider is that T-Mobile ship their phones with MSN installed.

Apparently so...

Guest confucious

I could be wrong but I know the only MDA Pro I've seen din't have itand I'm fairly certain the compact II doesn't either (the two guys in the office with them are both out this afternoon so I can't check).

Does anyone have a T-Mob phone that came with MSN already installed?

Guest confucious

Thanks for that tsutton - strange how some do and some don't.

T could really do with clarifying this. I must admit I tend not to use MSN on myphone but that's only because it's not reliable when you're on the train going in and out of reception and I have missed chats. But that doesn't mean I don't want the ability to use it.

Then again Push email works almost as well :)

Guest confucious

I've just confirmed that the lady at work had to buy MSN to install herself - it def. wasn't on her Pro when she got it not long agoRom 1.12.42 WWE

Rom Date 8/23/05 (I sume that's US format!)

radio 1.00.02

Protocol42.33.P8

ExtROIM 1.12.126 WWE

Guest Pondrew

Think the MDA Pro is the only T-Mobile device to have had Pocket MSN removed.

My MDA Compact II definately has it (and MSN Messenger is included in it).

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Think the MDA Pro is the only T-Mobile device to have had Pocket MSN removed.

My MDA Compact II definately has it (and MSN Messenger is included in it).

is this confirmed? new pro's dont have it?!

Guest muggy
is this confirmed? new pro's dont have it?!

I got my Pro 4 weeks ago - just squeezed my order in before the end of April to get the discount but had to wait another 2 weeks before delivery. Pocket MSN w/Messenger was installed.

Guest muggy
Muggy - can you confirm your ROm / Radio versions etc?

Thanks

I've got:

R 1.06.00

G 42.40.P8

D 1.20.43

I haven't upgraded, this is what was installed out-of-the-box.

Guest confucious

Interesting - a later version than my coleagues. So it didn't have MSN but then they added - and now they're saying you can't use it. I'm confused :)

Guest impy78
I could be wrong but I know the only MDA Pro I've seen din't have itand I'm fairly certain the compact II doesn't either (the two guys in the office with them are both out this afternoon so I can't check).

Does anyone have a T-Mob phone that came with MSN already installed?

T-mobile's repsonse was that msn was banned and the fact that msn is installed on my MDA is an oversight, which is "beyond their control".

Guest RobertCeuppens

Hi Guys, I got my MDA Pro last week but it locked up and wouldn't reset so I downloaded the TMobile ROM to install and it came with Pocket MSN and Messenger installed.

RADIO: 1.06.00

ROM: 1.20.32

PROTOCOL: 42.40.P8

Guest creamhackered

well i'm using the new Windows Live Messenger Mobile Beta on my phone and it's working fine on T-Mobile. If they call me then i'll explain that Pocket MSN is installed by default on my phone.