phone exchange on orange

Guest rocks

Guest rocks

ho peeps, got the n80 about 3 weeks ago with orange, had the first one 14 days on the nail and took it back as i kept getting the low memory error bug thing. they exchanged it there and then. the second phone is now doing the same thing, and i have read that this is a fault with orange and there os on the phone. why cant they leave well alone, no other network is having this prob that i know of. anyway there is no point taking it back to swop it for nother one based on the memory error, as the new one will be the same. however the second one i got the slide has a lot more movement from side to side than the first one, and i'm not that happy about. where do i stand if i ask for a exchange for another one, do have to give me a new one, or can they fob me off woth a recon, or send it away for repair job... i am still within my 28 days of purchase..

cheers

stuart

Guest dr who

My understanding is that the low memory error is on every N80, not just the Orange version, and is due to the ROM version. Until Orange issues phones with an updated ROM you will keep getting this error. The latest ROM AFAIK is 3.0617.0.6 There is a method for flashing the ROM at home, although it is a bit of a brown trousers job by all accounts. You *may* be able to get it flashed at a Nokia service centre or the carphone warehouse.

As regards the slide mechanism it would seem there are two 'batches' - one is more wobbly that the other.

If you can get O to issue a replacement then I would, but they will probably charge you ?15 for the priviledge and it may not be the latest ROM version anyway.

Guest sporkguy

There's a certain requirement list for getting an RA/Fault Code to send back the phone for a 28 day exchange - and I'm pretty sure that "wobbly slide" isn't on the list.

You may be able to do a 14dmb and get your contract cancelled - as you dont need to have a fault with the handset to do this (you can just say you changed your mind after having a second dodgy handset).

Guest motty

within 28 days you can keep taking new ones all you like, after 3 replacements you will be offered a change of handset..the n80 on orange is fully generic, orange havent touched the rom (for once) there isnt even branding on the casing or box!

ive not tried with the n80 but the 6280 is certainly "sim free" aswell!

Guest rocks

my n80 from orange has branding on the back case, the battery cover has there logo on it. the phone i have has rom version v3.0614.0.3 so not the latest

Guest dr who
my n80 from orange has branding on the back case, the battery cover has there logo on it. the phone i have has rom version v3.0614.0.3 so not the latest

I would think you might be able to make a case that since you returned the first handset with the out of memory fault, then the 14 day period should then be reapplied, so if you phone them and say you still have the same fault you may be able to convince them to let you cancel your contract. The only other option is to get them to alert you when they are issuing phones with the new ROM and have them send you one of those.