The 40 day £6 1GB World Cup Data Bundle

Guest finisterre

Guest finisterre

The O site says "Orange World Cup bundles begin 1 June 2006 and last for 40 days."

If I get it added today, does it stop 40 days from now? Or 40 days from June 1?

Thanks.

Guest pd.ryder

This is much talked about on the MoDaCo site, so take a look :)

When I signed up I didn't ask 'em exactly when it would finish, but it's there for World Cup data primarily so I guess it's tied in to finish after the final?

Who cares when it's ?6 for 1000Mb rather than ?4 for 4Mb!! O's gotta catch up with T-Mob in terms of data pricing or there'll be none of us left :D

Guest finisterre

Thanks.

It's a shame O won't keep this flat rate package going. I'm probably gonna go to T-Mobile with Web n Walk when their HTC Hermes handset is released. If O don't respond they'll surely lose a bundle of customers.

Guest finisterre

Well, I still haven't received a text to say it's active, and it's about 27 hours since I ordered it.

Should I be worried?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I asked for it to be activated last night, unfortunately the guy in the indian call centre seemed to be fairly new and left me a little worried that its been properly applied, and that my existing 4MB bundle has been removed. Roll on my billing date!

If you already have a data package, you can upgrade to the 1gb one.

I have 4mb normally for ?4 and could upgade for ?2 to 1gb.

With an upgrade apparently it only runs up to the World Cup final, not 40 days. The person I spoke to did not seem to have an abundance of info/knowledge on it.

Chiz

Guest pd.ryder

Once it's up and running you'll get a text notification to that effect. You'll also start receiving World Cup updates from "177000000" which will tell you all about the football match you've been sat watching for the past 2 hours :)

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I've been getting the WC text updates (i requested them weeks ago). Still nothing confirming the data bundle though! *checks online account*

Guest pd.ryder

The message I received from "247" :-

Hi from Orange: Your World Cup package is now live. Follow the link to Orange World to claim your free wallpaper...

Video content is actually d/l to the device rather than streaming, although quality is absolute pants mp4 rubbish (I've never seen 'quality' mp4....) and the free wallpaper doesn't fit :)

Apart from that, it's great :D

I would imagine O will be watching usage trends carefully before they release a competetive data package of their own. (Well, I hope they are...)

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

The signup page says its not SPV compatible :)

2.5G Video clips are shite to keep them small. If you download the same clip from Orange World on a 3G device it looks fantastic! I have a series of 24 (i think) i encoded to mp4 _decently_ and it looks fine :D

I reckon we won't be seeing anything decent in terms of Orange data packages for a while, not so soon after the Windows Mobile Data bundles have been launched :P

Incidentally, did anyone hear on Radio1 news about TMob's blocking VoIP on WnW?

Guest pd.ryder
The signup page says its not SPV compatible :)

That incompatability is to do with the SMS sign-up, I think. It all works fine on my SPV C550 :D

Which mp4 encoder do you use, and do you know if there's an mp4 codec for TCPMP yet. Clips won't run on TCPMP and I can't find the ruddy codec (got an AAC one tho... :P )

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I used Virtualdub (iirc) for mp4's. But PocketDivx encoder is my current encoder of choice. I've not encoded a dvd for a while though tbh, not got any worth keeping on my PC recently!

Guest pd.ryder

Mono - I don't want to go too far off the thread, but I use PocketDivX and I'm sure the only output options are .avi with mp3 audio or an ogm file with ogg audio. No mention of mp4. Maybe there's a new version.... or maybe I just don't know what an ogm file is :)

Guest sporkguy
Mono - I don't want to go too far off the thread, but I use PocketDivX and I'm sure the only output options are .avi with mp3 audio or an ogm file with ogg audio. No mention of mp4. Maybe there's a new version.... or maybe I just don't know what an ogm file is :D

Paul, you can encase an MP4 encoded video inside an AVI container - with mp3 audio, that's as good as an mp4 file or mov for that matter :)

Guest pd.ryder
Paul, you can encase an MP4 encoded video inside an AVI container - with mp3 audio, that's as good as an mp4 file or mov for that matter :D
Whaooo, brakes on a minute. Do what with a which :) ? Errrm, just when this old brain thought it knew what was what, you throw something like that into the mix! I think I'll go start a topic about mp4's encased inside avi's..... :P

/*stops hijacking thread*

Guest pd.ryder

Ooooh, I see. Very handy :)

But back to...

Which mp4 encoder do you use,
So what do I use to encode to mp4 before changing the file type extension?

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Sorry for insighting so much confusion! I should have added that i use pocketdivx to encode divx's, a little ot, i know :)

Guest rufusa

Going back on topic - sorry!

I subscribed to this World Cup Data bundle two weeks ago, mainly so that I could surf the web whilst on holiday. Brilliant - apart from the annoying "World Cup" texts - hope Orange make this a permanent feature.

This afternoon I got a text from the usual 177000000 number saying "From Orange: Your Dolphin free content subscription has come to an end, go to Orange World for more great offers."

Worrying as I'm on a "OVP Virgin" tariff, so I'm now a little suspicious / reluctant to use GPRS!

Did anyone get the same message? Does it relate to the free data, or World Cup texts. Any ideas why it's ended before the World Cup or 40 days have finished? etc.

Rufus (wanting to avoid battle with an Orange call centre for now!).

Guest pd.ryder

Nope - I've had nothing relating to any lurvely animal tarrif (which I'm not on) and as far as my billing indicates I get the 1Gb for forty days from sign-up (that's 7th June to 17th July) :)