2 week cancellation period?

Guest whitster

Guest whitster

I was just wondering, if I get a contract phone from T-mobile do I still get the initial 2 weeks in which I can decide if I want to take the phone back and cancel it? I know I could do it when I got a PAYG mobile from Orange so wondered if it applied With T-mobile on contract too.

If so would there be any costs or would they just accept the phone back?

Guest dr who
I was just wondering, if I get a contract phone from T-mobile do I still get the initial 2 weeks in which I can decide if I want to take the phone back and cancel it? I know I could do it when I got a PAYG mobile from Orange so wondered if it applied With T-mobile on contract too.

If so would there be any costs or would they just accept the phone back?

Do you mean initially or on upgrade? Do not buy a contract in store, TMob offer no sort of money back guarantee if you do. If you buy online you have 7 days, as offered under distance selling regulations. I believe they do not offer any option of returning an upgraded handset either.

Guest whitster
Do you mean initially or on upgrade? Do not buy a contract in store, TMob offer no sort of money back guarantee if you do. If you buy online you have 7 days, as offered under distance selling regulations. I believe they do not offer any option of returning an upgraded handset either.

Well I was going to buy it instore.

So youre saying there isnt a "two week cooling off period" (which is what I think i've heard it called) if I buy it instore?

Guest sporkguy

If that is indeed the case, then that's a dear shame.

Orange offer a 14 day money-back promise on all new connections (except NT3 transfers, MNP and Upgrades). Seems Orange have the best moneyback policy around (tho you're more likely to use it with orange!)

Guest whitster
If that is indeed the case, then that's a dear shame.

Orange offer a 14 day money-back promise on all new connections (except NT3 transfers, MNP and Upgrades). Seems Orange have the best moneyback policy around (tho you're more likely to use it with orange!)

Yea, thats why I wondered if it was something the whole industry had to abide to or just something Orange was doing.

Right then. Well whats the stance on getting a phone on contract and then swapping the phone to something else half way through the contract but keeping all the terms of the contract. So basically same sim card and monthly price but changing the phone. Is that possible?

Guest dr who
Yea, thats why I wondered if it was something the whole industry had to abide to or just something Orange was doing.

Right then. Well whats the stance on getting a phone on contract and then swapping the phone to something else half way through the contract but keeping all the terms of the contract. So basically same sim card and monthly price but changing the phone. Is that possible?

Nothing to stop you buying a SIM free handset at any time, but obviously they cost a LOT. The handset you get with your contract is massively discounted. No operator will provide you with a subsidised handset without renewing your contract. Time was I could get Orange to do that for me every 9 months..............

Personally I am planning to get a data device from TMob in the next few months, then unlock my current phone so I can use it with TMob (currently Orange). I will then swap the SIM if I want to take the phone out with me, to a club or a festival for instance.

Guest whitster

Another question but theres no point creating another topic...

Would you say it was worth taking out insurance? I only ask because in the 6 or 7 years that i've had mobile phones i've yet to have one stolen or break down on me as I take very good care of them.

It would be ?7.99 a month. If there's no insurance and the phone did conk out after the warrantary had expired would they charge me full price for a new phone if it needed to be replaced?

Guest dr who

Would you say it was worth taking out insurance? I only ask because in the 6 or 7 years that i've had mobile phones i've yet to have one stolen or break down on me as I take very good care of them.

It would be ?7.99 a month. If there's no insurance and the phone did conk out after the warrantary had expired would they charge me full price for a new phone if it needed to be replaced?

I think phone insurance is probably worth it, but then I have been through about 7 handsets in the last two years!

Might depend on the phone and manufacturer but it would be a bit annoying to have an 18 month contract and a 12 month warranty - if the phone develops a fault outside the warranty period then you would have to pay the full replacement cost of the phone. If you are indeed very careful, and don't believe that you will ever drop your phone or have it stolen then you might want to wait to insure it until the warranty has expired. Time was insurance was great, pay ?5 a month and if there was a problem of any sort you got a new handset, at least on Orange. Now its all different, they all charge an 'admin fee', or as I prefer an 'excess' when they replace the phone.

TMobs insurance is expensive at ?8 a month and they charge hideous fees, ?30 for the first claim, ?60 for the second and ?90 after that. If your phone was just a standard phone and not a fancy topend model or data device it may well not be worth insurance. If you phone, unsubsidised, costs around the ?400 mark it probably is.

Guest whitster

Right, thanks for that.

But are you saying its possible to take out the insurance after the 12 months warrantary has expired? I thought I wouldnt be able to do that. If so then it's what I probably will do.

Guest dr who
But are you saying its possible to take out the insurance after the 12 months warrantary has expired? I thought I wouldnt be able to do that. If so then it's what I probably will do.

To be honest I have no idea, but I would be surprised if they didn't give you the opportunity to give them money. The warranty doesn't really replace the insurance, as it gives no cover for loss, theft, damage, etc, etc only for hardware failures. So I would guess you can add it whenever you feel the need - they might get a bit sniffy if you then claimed on the insurance the next day I suppose, so there may be a minimum period before you can claim.

Guest sporkguy

with orange, for example, you can take what we used to call 'emergency care' in the event you smashed your device and needed an urgent replacement. this would cost 30quid for non-spv handsets and tied you into a 12 month insurance term from that date onwards.

Guest Swampie

You'll probably find you're already covered under household insurance. Whilst it might have a ?50 excess and cost you a little in higher premiums later, you're saving at least ?60 (?5 x 12) per year.

I've never broken a phone in the 10 years I've owned one. If I'd taken out separate insurance, I'd have paid at least ?600 over that time...

Guest confucious

I lost my phone (on a drunken night out) and claimed off my household insu=rance for the price quoted by O for a new replacement handseyt (?300) plus the cost of a new memory card.

I then went back to O who told me that I could get it for (IIRC) ?100 if I tok out their ins for the rest of my contract (3 months) at ?5 / month. By which time I already had the cheque from my household ins and it seemes a shame to send it back....

Guest moroni

judging from the price of the insurance i would ask are you buying the phone from phones4u?

if so then you have 14 days to decide if you like the phone/contract, even on a t-mobile phone.

i think they are the only major retailer that offer that on t-mobile contracts.

and a quick ps.

the insurance with 4u is very good indeed expensive but very comprehensive!

Guest hotphil

My local T-Mobile shop suggested that if I took their ?7.99 insurance then I could get the handset even cheaper. And the insurance (unlike the handset itself) has a 14 day cooling-off period. Bit crafty but might be an option for some folk.

Personally I don't bother with the insurance anymore. Never needed to claim on it and figure the money I've saved over the years would be less than that I'd have to shell out for a new handset. Especially now they seem to have a ?30 minimum excess.

Should really check my house insurance I guess.

Guest dr who

Trouble with house insurance is that if you were unlucky a couple of times your premiums are likely to go through the roof. Have enough claims over a 3 year period and you may find it very difficult getting insurance at all.

Guest Swampie
Trouble with house insurance is that if you were unlucky a couple of times your premiums are likely to go through the roof. Have enough claims over a 3 year period and you may find it very difficult getting insurance at all.

True, which is why if you're an unlucky person (ie. lose, break phones often) then it might be better to have separate insurance - but if you're like me - treat your phone with care, never leave it around etc, then you're probably better off with house insurance.

House insurance isn't likely to cover unauthorised use either - but, for me, household insurance is best.

Guest confucious
but if you're like me - treat your phone with care, never leave it around etc, then you're probably better off with house insurance.

But if you're like me - treat your phone with no care, drop it, leav it arround etc, but just happen to be lucky, then household ins is still best. I've made about 4 claims in the past 15 years and only one of those was phone related.

Guest dr who

If you're like me and own a C500 for 2 years and have had to replace it because of various non-warranty issues such as dust or failures out of contract then house insurance would have sucked.

• 1 month later...

I managed to take mine back on the 15th day - even though I requested return after the 4th day! They initially refused the return even though they said I had a 14 day policy (which turned out to be 7)..Basically I couldnt get 3G coverage which is all I wanted the device for for high speed data.

Had to go through to TMob customer relations to get them to arrange the return!

Guest dr who
I managed to take mine back on the 15th day - even though I requested return after the 4th day! They initially refused the return even though they said I had a 14 day policy (which turned out to be 7)..Basically I couldnt get 3G coverage which is all I wanted the device for for high speed data.

Had to go through to TMob customer relations to get them to arrange the return!

Excellent. Glad you got to return it Amo. So that was it, contract cancelled then?

Guest fleabag

On T-Mobile there is only a returns period if you order online or via telesales. There is no returns period instore, AT ALL. Only '3' is legally required to offer a 14 day period due to their hideous T&C. If you order a new connection or upgrade (it doesn't matter which, as the DSR legislation covers equipment - it is nothing to do with your contract) online or over the phone, you get 7 working days from the receipt of the goods to inform T-Mobile of your return request. You are then required to have it back within 7 days of receiving the returns packaging (pre paid) - you can request they pick it up from your house, but this is then at your own cost.

If you buy a Nokia, Sony or MDA handset on T it comes with a 24 month manufacturer warranty for faults - which covers nothing but faults (surprisingly). You get the 24 months regardless of your contract length.

T-Mobile insurance is available up to 14 days after connection, after which point you must go directly to Fonesafe who will only insure certain models, and for a period of what I believe to be 45 days from the beginning of the contract. The pricing previously in this thread is wrong, if you have a non-data 'integrated' handset, i.e. it's not a PDA - it is ?5.99 per month. Insurance for MDA's or 'integrated' handsets is ?7.99 per month. It's also a ?25 first claim excess and the second and third claims excess is smaller than stated here, I just don't recall what it is off hand. The insurance gives you cover for loss, theft and accidental damage, breakdown not covered by warranty, and airtime abuse to the value of ?1000. If you go direct through Fonesafe, the monthly charge and excess is higher.

If you are being told instore they can give you the handset for less if you take the insurance, then you are being mis-sold the service. It is illegal, under FSA guidelines to offer a service or product cheaper by subscribing to an insurance product. If they have offered it for less instore if you take the cover, I guarantee they can give it to you just as cheap without. Just mention the illegality of their proposal to them and I'm sure you'll get a good price - they are just trying to maximise their commission.

amo, you are lucky getting them to take it back that late. They are not legally required to do so, and you mention you requested it on the 4th day - did you put it in writing? Because if you didn't, it doesn't make the slightest difference. The fact you have no 3G coverage is also irrelivant, it is your responsibility to check prior and 3G is not the 'main' service your contract is sold as, so having no coverage again, leaves T under no legal obligation to end your contract.