"Switching to T-Mobile, getting MDA Pro"

Guest mewcenary

Guest mewcenary

Hi,

The time has come to leave Orange. Their failing CS and the fact that they can't offer me the Orange equivalent of the MDA Pro means they are no longer the provider for me.

So I'm going with T-Mobile:

XDA Pro - ?69.99

Web 'n' Walk + Flext 35 - 42.50 per month (35 for first 3 months)

If anyone has any comments or ideas for a better deal, please let me know!

I would have signed up today, but unfortunately they are out of stock :)

Guest pd.ryder
Would you not prefer waiting for the Vario II, or is it too big?
Is the Vario II really bigger than the MDA Pro? The Pro is quite a whopper really speaking and the original Vario is nowhere near that size. Surely the II is comparable to the original?

Guest mewcenary
Is the Vario II really bigger than the MDA Pro? The Pro is quite a whopper really speaking and the original Vario is nowhere near that size. Surely the II is comparable to the original?

What's the Vario II? If it is the equivalent of the M3100 on Orange, then I imagine it would be smaller. It's also not 3G and a lower screen resolution?

Guest mewcenary

Thanks all. Hmm, having a real difficulty in deciding between the two phones now !!!

I note the Hermes seems to have a slower processor, which could perhaps be cause for concern. I am not sure....

Guest dr who
Thanks all. Hmm, having a real difficulty in deciding between the two phones now !!!

I note the Hermes seems to have a slower processor, which could perhaps be cause for concern. I am not sure....

I suspose it may depend what is important to you. The Universal is bigger with a better res screen and is a more mature product, so hopefully most of the bugs have been ironed out of the ROM. Hermes is smaller and has high speed 3G.

Guest mewcenary
I suspose it may depend what is important to you. The Universal is bigger with a better res screen and is a more mature product, so hopefully most of the bugs have been ironed out of the ROM. Hermes is smaller and has high speed 3G.
Well, as the Hermes is newer (even if not more powerful), I would hope it was a more mature product in its own way. That said, they both run Windows Mobile 5, from what I can tell.

I currently have an SPV C550. I've had a play with the M5000 in shops (well, a dummy model) and it never struck me as fitting into the "too big" bracket. I definitely want something with touch screen and a keyboard -- surfing the web with a "normal" sized phone never felt particularly comfortable.

However, both the M5000 and M3100 offer this :) Arrrrgh, why can't these things be simple :D

I suspect I'd rather go for the bigger screen and enhanced processor power though.

Guest dr who
Well, as the Hermes is newer (even if not more powerful), I would hope it was a more mature product in its own way. That said, they both run Windows Mobile 5, from what I can tell.

I currently have an SPV C550. I've had a play with the M5000 in shops (well, a dummy model) and it never struck me as fitting into the "too big" bracket. I definitely want something with touch screen and a keyboard -- surfing the web with a "normal" sized phone never felt particularly comfortable.

However, both the M5000 and M3100 offer this :) Arrrrgh, why can't these things be simple :D

I suspect I'd rather go for the bigger screen and enhanced processor power though.

Certainly on the HTC Tytn, the non-operator Hermes, there are issues with the touch screen and possibly the A2DP stereo bluetooth output. Also, some keyboard faults are being reported. No idea of the foibles of the MDA Pro, though.

Guest confucious

Pros of Hermes over Universal:

Size

HDSPA

Cons:

Screen is smaller and lower Res

Keyboard not as good (although still very good or so I believe)

Micro SD do not come in large sizes (yet)

Headphones use a propriety adaptor so you can't use standard headphones.

For me, I'll stick with the universal for now, :)

Guest fleabag
Pros of Hermes over Universal:

Size

HDSPA

Cons:

Screen is smaller and lower Res

Keyboard not as good (although still very good or so I believe)

Micro SD do not come in large sizes (yet)

Headphones use a propriety adaptor so you can't use standard headphones.

For me, I'll stick with the universal for now, :)

I would recommend the Vario II - I have used every T-Mobile MDA (besides the V2) :D.

Screen may be smaller, but so what that's the price you pay.

Keyboard is just as good, you don't need huge keys anyway.

Micro SD will come in high capacities soon enough - the fact that it's a smaller card also means it uses less battery - SD's will suck your device dry just being plugged in.

Headphone adapters will be available soon enough - but who need that anyway when you can have stereo over bluetooth.

Guest confucious
I would recommend the Vario II - I have used every T-Mobile MDA (besides the V2) :P.

Screen may be smaller, but so what that's the price you pay.

Keyboard is just as good, you don't need huge keys anyway.

Micro SD will come in high capacities soon enough - the fact that it's a smaller card also means it uses less battery - SD's will suck your device dry just being plugged in.

Headphone adapters will be available soon enough - but who need that anyway when you can have stereo over bluetooth.

I find the Hermes screen just to small - I love the VGA on the Universal.

Keyboard just as good? - with no seperate no keys. Depends on your usage. But yes, it is good.

MicroSD- larger capacities "soon" - Iwant and I want NOW :D

I just use my normal in ear headphones with my Universal - I would have to buy BT sterio headphones - something I've not looked into.

Just my opinion, the Universal is to large for most people but it's ideal for me :)

Guest fleabag

I can understand, if it wasn't such a beast in size I'd use it myself. But it wouldn't do my street cred any justice. My S200 on the other hand, does. :D

I can see where you're coming from with screen size also, it does annoy me with browsing - but not with media or general use.

As you say, every phone has a different fit. :)