How soon will Orange let you get a NUK (Network Unlock Code)

Guest shadamehr

Guest shadamehr

As per the title...

My brother is thinking of porting over into Orange from O2 to take advantage of the Unlimited texts offer on Panther ?35.

He is after a 6280 handset.

I already have spare 6280 handsets myself, but fancy a look at a Nokia n80.

So he was gonna get one of these, have me pay the cost, and then swap with me for one of my 6280's.

Problem is, from talking to an Orange phone trainer, when I asked how quick he could get a NUK code so I could obviously use the n80 he gets with my O2 sim, I have been told that unlike O2, Vodafone, and T-Mobile, who will give you one after at most three months, for a admin fee, that Orange won't give you one until the entire 18 month contract has been paid up/seen out.

What gives? Is this true and yet another crappy example where Orange are lagging behind the other three Networks, or did the P.T. not know his stuff??

Anyone know?

Also, is the unlimted texts offer, truly unlimited without caps or fair use restrictions?

Thanks in advance for any answers - though I suspect it is indeed just another example of Orange being behind the other Network's way of doing things.

Cheers.

Guest shadamehr

200 views, ZERO replies...?

Come on someone?

Surely someone works for Orange, or is not too embarressed to admit Orange do this worse than the other nets???

Or are there any other ways to unlock the n80? Then stuff Orange... :)

N80 is a BB5 platform. It is imposible to unlock outside of official methods regardless of what anyone may tell you.

Guest Jasonkruys
and only when the contract has been completed/paid off.

That is simply not true. Orange provided me with my unlocking code for my M5000 in June, when my contract does not expire until November. They did not ask me why, or provide any resistance. The phonecall was over in a minute, and two days later I got my email.

I gues it is because, whether you unlock your phone or not, you are still tied into the contract and have to pay for it, whether you are using the phone on another network (like me on T-Mobile) or not.

That is simply not true. Orange provided me with my unlocking code for my M5000 in June, when my contract does not expire until November. They did not ask me why, or provide any resistance. The phonecall was over in a minute, and two days later I got my email.

I gues it is because, whether you unlock your phone or not, you are still tied into the contract and have to pay for it, whether you are using the phone on another network (like me on T-Mobile) or not.

Most networks do 3 months, 6 months or 9 months because depending on the phone tarrif thats when the clawback expires. (Clawback is the when the revoke comission from the retailer who sold the tarrif because the contract conditions were not met).

You're right they know you're tied to the contract, but they do it because some unscurpolous people sign up using large 'off the shelf' companies (or fake details), split the phone and sell it. The contract is then worth nothing since they can't legitimatly tie it to anyone.

Guest shadamehr

Well, despite jason's experience, I am on to my sixth attempt to worm a positive response out of Orange.

I've rang two stores, direct support, been in to two stores, and fired off an email.

And every single one of them says the same...

"When contract is expired"

So it simply 'is' true in a general sense, and any that have proved different, have been LUCKY - the exception, NOT the rule it seems.

Besides, taking a CHANCE and getting an 18 month contract, only to find I am stuck with a handset that is useless to me.... I am sure my brother wouldn't be best pleased at that.

So unless Orange can PROMISE me a code BEFORE taking out the contract (and after six attempts they are 100% that they won't), then I'd be a fool of the highest order to go ahead.

So my brother is taking out a T-Mobile Flext 35 instead... Especially when he found out the unlimited texts offer with Orange is actually a straightforward 3000 texts. So why call it unlimited if it is actually 3000?

Additionally, whilst this is still better than T-Mobile's Flext 35 offering, he needs unlimited data.... not off peak like Orange, so Orange is a none starter for him.

So bye bye to the idea of going to Orange. That's still another port over to T-Mob despite the revised ad 'improved' Orange Tariffs.