SPV M3100 OR SONY ERICSSON P990

Guest The Grim Reaper

Guest The Grim Reaper

Hi all

I am about to start a new contract with orange, as they currently have better deals than vodafone.

However i am not sure what phone to go for at the moment its a toss-up between the m3100 or the p990

I was just wondering what you thought about the two in question and also the diff between the operating systems ,windows and symbian??

Thanks

kev.

Guest The Grim Reaper
Hi all

I am about to start a new contract with orange, as they currently have better deals than vodafone.

However i am not sure what phone to go for at the moment its a toss-up between the m3100 or the p990

I was just wondering what you thought about the two in question and also the diff between the operating systems ,windows and symbian??

Thanks

kev.

Can't believe 13 views and no comments :D

c-mon you guys somebody must have some pros and cons to say :)

Guest jimbouk

It would be fairly rare to find someone who can speak with total knowledge about both of those devices. Most people tend to fall into either the Windows or Symbian camps and few jump between them.

When anyone does, its usually followed by a thread that says why doesnt my new windows device do what my old symbian device did and vice versa.

FWIW I am in the windows camp - and if you want a damn good ppc device that interacts wells natively with a windows pc, then the 3100 is the answer...

But I just dont like symbian so I am biased.

Guest Incarniac

What jimbouk said, really.

I've not used the P990 (I've tried it briefly from colleagues and friends who have it, but not really used it, so I can't judge it), but I had a P800 and a P900. I decided to go with the M3100 when I moved to Orange a couple of months ago. For someone who's used to Symbian it takes perhaps a couple of days to get used to and learn where certain things are and how to do certain things. I am very happy with the choice I did, but I know people who are equally happy with the P990.

The M3100 is also perhaps slightly less a "phone" in that there is no number pad like the P990 has. There are shortcuts to get to your contacts, your recent calls, your speed dials and so on, but no one-hand way of directly typing a number. For me that was not a big thing as I had already got used to the P900 without the flip (it broke around a year ago and I never bothered having it replaced). Actually, technically that's a lie - the P900 has a "virtual flip" (which I used), and the M3100 has a similar thing, so you can use the fingers to tap number directly on the screen.

Both devices are excellent and offer almost exactly the same set of features, so at the end of the day it mostly boils down to personal preference. If you have not used either type of OS before (Windows Mobile and Symbian), then you should perhaps ask in a shop if you could try both handsets to try get a feel for them.

Edited by Incarniac

Guest The Grim Reaper

Thanks guys for the response.

I have in the past owned a Sony Ericsson p800 and a p900 (don't remember any probs with them)

However i have held the p990 as a few people at work have them and although it is lighter than its predecessors i also think it’s a little to plastic for me and not really keen on the keyboard on the screen.

I have also in the past owned a spv m1000 windows mobile, so i suppose i am aware of the difference between the two operating systems, the only gripe i had with the m1000 apart from size was sometimes it locked up and had to be re-set via the stylus or it wouldn’t sync properly with the p.c.

I know the new m3100 has the NEW windows mobile 5 software but not really herd any bad comment about it locking up.

Also i really love the look of the m3100 and went to local car phone warehouse to look at one but sadly no stock as yet :)

Think i might just bite the bullet and BUY THE M3100

Edited by The Grim Reaper