No Orange service (GPRS or tel); reinstal WM?

Guest PeeBeeF

Guest PeeBeeF

I am really fed up with my M600 and with Orange.

Recently travelled to US, NZ etc; M600 worked fine in US (email and tel), but no service from then on. Orange says it does not guarantee any service overseas!!! Local partner in NZ (Vodaphone) said not their problem. Now back in UK, still no service. Have had to rely on Orange website for orange.net email - another absolute disaster, website down more often than not, and far slower than my other webmail (Madasafish!) and so much spam.

Orange UK says failure to connect to service is MW software problem, (I have hard reset, no joy), phone thinks it is switched off and doesn't switch back on. Any advice or comments please. If necessary where can I download WM (via ActiveSync and laptop)??

And external speaker seems to have finally packed up, used to work after jiggling GRRRR.

Any advice please before I bin the damned thing, Martin

Guest The Doctor
I am really fed up with my M600 and with Orange.

Recently travelled to US, NZ etc; M600 worked fine in US (email and tel), but no service from then on. Orange says it does not guarantee any service overseas!!! Local partner in NZ (Vodaphone) said not their problem. Now back in UK, still no service. Have had to rely on Orange website for orange.net email - another absolute disaster, website down more often than not, and far slower than my other webmail (Madasafish!) and so much spam.

Orange UK says failure to connect to service is MW software problem, (I have hard reset, no joy), phone thinks it is switched off and doesn't switch back on. Any advice or comments please. If necessary where can I download WM (via ActiveSync and laptop)??

And external speaker seems to have finally packed up, used to work after jiggling GRRRR.

Any advice please before I bin the damned thing, Martin

Hey Martin,

You could try installing the i-mate JAMin ROM onto it (you can get it from ftp://ftp.clubimate.com).

This may solve the radio issues you are experiencing.

Phil

Guest PeeBeeF
Hey Martin,

You could try installing the i-mate JAMin ROM onto it (you can get it from ftp://ftp.clubimate.com).

This may solve the radio issues you are experiencing.

Phil

Thanks Phil, eventually I downloaded ROM (why did it only download at 8kbps when I have 2.2 Mbps broadband service??). Will the new rom erase all the Orange stuff? I wouldn't mind that if I can move to another mobile company, but is that possible and still get support (not that Orange really offered anything useful). Fairly bitter and twisted as you can gather, having bought the M600 specifically for a round the world trip! Many thanks, Martin

Guest Neil5459

PeeBeef- have you managed to sort this yet?

Your 1st question- how to download WM, is irrelevant. Doing a hard reset automatically reinstalls the whole of the WM operating system, plus Orange's enhancements, like the connection settings, colour schemes etc.

How old is the M600, and how long has your contract to run with Orange?

Did you actually succeed in a full hard reset (eg did you have to go through the mini tutorial again after starting?). If you still can't connect, then this strongly suggests either a SIM card failure, or a device failure. Can you try the SIM card in another phone to see if it works? If the SIM card is OK, then the ball is in Orange's court assuming the M600 is less than 1 year old and still under warranty. Don't let them fob you off with lame excuses.

Regarding other operators: Orange tend to SIM lock all their devices, so you would need to unlock it to use another Opertor's SIM card. You would alos be tied to any remaining contract with Orange, during which their customer support should still be avaialable, but obviously they can't support non-Orange ROM's.

Although you have done a hard reset, it might still be worth going into the phone settings/Networks control panel and make sure you select either 'Automatic Network selection' which should connect to Orange in the UK, or select Manual, then see how many operstors are listed (this can take 2-3 minutes of network searching). Hopefully Orange might be amonh them, and you could then manually select it.

Guest PeeBeeF

Neil thanks yes I still have the problem. I hope you had a good Christmas, I forgot temporarily about IT which was just as well, my landline went out of action too!

Re yr questions, I bought the M600 off ebay, boxed brand new last April/May, I unlocked the orange setup to continue with my existing service (Touch). However as planning a round the world trip I need an international service and changed back to Orange Pay-as-you-go. Everything worked fine in UK and the USA picking up local provider, but no service in NZ or anywhere since. Orange said it was the local provider's problem, local provider said it was Orange's problem. Return to UK, Orange shop say it is Microsoft problem. Still no service.

Have done full hard reset with recalibration stuff. When I attempt to use the phone it says the phone is switched off, would I like to turn it on Yes PLEASE, but it doesn't turn on. I can't get into settings because I get the phone is turned off message!

[Now I am having a hassle trying to pick up my accumulated voicemails via landline, which I cannot access because I get a message which says I have not enough credit, although it is £35+.]

Anyway I have downloaded the iJAMIN ROM software as Phil suggested which I hope will restore the telephone and GPRS services, with or without Orange. I am plucking up courage to instal it when I have some peace and quiet, probably tomorrow. Do you know, do I drag the file over to the M600 and unzip it there, or do I unzip it on my laptop first? Once installed is that it or do I have to change any settings for it to work with the Orange SIM card as before? I guess from your comments as the phone is already unlocked I can swith to another service without any problem (!!), stupid question I expect but is the M600 compatible with any mobile service for emails etc Thanks, Martin

PeeBeef- have you managed to sort this yet?

Your 1st question- how to download WM, is irrelevant. Doing a hard reset automatically reinstalls the whole of the WM operating system, plus Orange's enhancements, like the connection settings, colour schemes etc.

How old is the M600, and how long has your contract to run with Orange?

Did you actually succeed in a full hard reset (eg did you have to go through the mini tutorial again after starting?). If you still can't connect, then this strongly suggests either a SIM card failure, or a device failure. Can you try the SIM card in another phone to see if it works? If the SIM card is OK, then the ball is in Orange's court assuming the M600 is less than 1 year old and still under warranty. Don't let them fob you off with lame excuses.

Regarding other operators: Orange tend to SIM lock all their devices, so you would need to unlock it to use another Opertor's SIM card. You would alos be tied to any remaining contract with Orange, during which their customer support should still be avaialable, but obviously they can't support non-Orange ROM's.

Although you have done a hard reset, it might still be worth going into the phone settings/Networks control panel and make sure you select either 'Automatic Network selection' which should connect to Orange in the UK, or select Manual, then see how many operstors are listed (this can take 2-3 minutes of network searching). Hopefully Orange might be amonh them, and you could then manually select it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest shanedean

Hi, I know it's been a while since you posted about your Orange network problems but I seem to be suffering something similar.

I bought an M600 from ebay as water-damaged.

I managed to get it all to turn on and installed a newer Radio ROM but it made no difference to the fact that it couldn't even FIND the Orange network.

It showed o2, Voda and T-Mobile but only on rare occasions Orange and even then it couldn't register.

I have since flashed the complete ROM with one from another site :) but this too makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I'm using a contract SIM from my SE K800 and no the M600 isn't blacklisted

Guest The Doctor
Neil thanks yes I still have the problem. I hope you had a good Christmas, I forgot temporarily about IT which was just as well, my landline went out of action too!

Re yr questions, I bought the M600 off ebay, boxed brand new last April/May, I unlocked the orange setup to continue with my existing service (Touch). However as planning a round the world trip I need an international service and changed back to Orange Pay-as-you-go. Everything worked fine in UK and the USA picking up local provider, but no service in NZ or anywhere since. Orange said it was the local provider's problem, local provider said it was Orange's problem. Return to UK, Orange shop say it is Microsoft problem. Still no service.

Have done full hard reset with recalibration stuff. When I attempt to use the phone it says the phone is switched off, would I like to turn it on Yes PLEASE, but it doesn't turn on. I can't get into settings because I get the phone is turned off message!

[Now I am having a hassle trying to pick up my accumulated voicemails via landline, which I cannot access because I get a message which says I have not enough credit, although it is £35+.]

Anyway I have downloaded the iJAMIN ROM software as Phil suggested which I hope will restore the telephone and GPRS services, with or without Orange. I am plucking up courage to instal it when I have some peace and quiet, probably tomorrow. Do you know, do I drag the file over to the M600 and unzip it there, or do I unzip it on my laptop first? Once installed is that it or do I have to change any settings for it to work with the Orange SIM card as before? I guess from your comments as the phone is already unlocked I can swith to another service without any problem (!!), stupid question I expect but is the M600 compatible with any mobile service for emails etc Thanks, Martin

You will have to re-enter the orange gprs setting etc manually but should fix your radio problems.

In response to shanedean, first off, its water damaged, secondly, your radio only upgrade may have corrupted the IMEI? It's possible to rewrite or restore your prophets imei by patching the radio section but its decidedly illegal in the UK :)

Guest jimbouk

Erm - I dont think you can just run the rom upgrade to the imate one without some other mucking about first. The M600's ID will not allow the imate rom to run... have a google re installing a different rom on a prophet - there will be a patch or another app you will need to run first.

Guest The Doctor
Erm - I dont think you can just run the rom upgrade to the imate one without some other mucking about first. The M600's ID will not allow the imate rom to run... have a google re installing a different rom on a prophet - there will be a patch or another app you will need to run first.

Sometimes you can get away with running the update twice ala Hermes with BL 1.04 :)

With regard to CID unlocking, check the xda-dev's wiki on the matter HERE and then HERE

Phil

Guest Neil5459

Sorry about the lack of reply PeeBeeF- my notifivations stopped working for a while !

Your problem is unlikely to go away with a new ROM, if the hard reset didn't fix it (it's unlikely that the ROM image and the installed OS would suffer the same fault if it was working at one time- if it had never worked, that would be a different story).

But you've got nothing to lose by trying the ROM update. This must be run from the PC, with the Hermes attached via the cable, and activesync running. The process will stop activesync, then check the ROM version, and whether your device can be updated (as The Doctor says, you can get around this if you get an error message); if alls well it will then update the ROM, which takes about 15 minutes. You MUST have the USB cable attached direct- not via a hub, and you MUST disable any power management or screensavers on the PC, otherwise the update could fail.

You symptoms of the radio refusing to turn on suggests a hardware fault with the radio chip- I hope I'm wrong :)

ShaneDean- your problem is strange. Orange and T-Mobile use the same band of frequencies, so if you can get T-Mo, you ought to be able to get Orange. Possibly Orange has a weaker signal, and maybe your device's early bath has damaged the antenna?

The IMEI number is linked to the physical chip, so that ought not to be a problem, unless Orange has blocked access for some other reason.