Dataviz brings Office document editing to Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
post-1-1168362080_thumb.png

Dataviz, developers of the 'Documents To Go' suite of Office editing software for Palm OS, have announced a beta release of Documents To Go for Windows Mobile [Landscape] Smartphones! Finally... owners of Motorola Q, Samsung i320, HTC Excalibur devices etc. can make the most of their keyboards with Office editing ability!

DocumentsToGo is available to download immediately as a Preview release from the Dataviz website. Here's the pitch...

Word, Excel, PowerPoint & PDF files on your Motorola Q, Samsung BlackJack, T-Mobile Dash & Other Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphones.

Documents To Go is the first and only mobile office editor for Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone Edition on the market today. Now you can view, edit and create Microsoft® Word, Excel and PowerPoint® files, view Adobe® PDF files as well as unzip files on your smartphone no matter where your personal or professional life takes you.
  • Documents To Go is a powerful word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, PDF and decompression application all in one complete package, designed to help you get your work done anytime, anywhere.
  • Your original desktop documents will never lose formatting when you make edits on your smartphone using InTact Technology™.
  • Easy to use - Documents To Go has the familiar look and feel of the programs you have on your desktop.

Do you have a supported device? Then what are you waiting for... head over and get downloading! :)

I'm particularly impressed by the 'InTact Technology' feature, which promises to allow you to edit the document on your device, without affecting the original formatting (something Pocket PC users for example have always struggled with)... come on Dataviz - where's the Pocket PC version? :D

More about InTact Technology...

Because of this, making sure the complex formatting and layout of your original desktop documents are maintained, once they've been edited on the smartphone, becomes all the more important. This is why InTact Technology was developed and built into Documents To Go. By making sure that your desktop documents and the formatting associated with them are always kept to their original form, you can be completely confident in using your files on your smartphone and never have to worry whether the original has been compromised.

Nice!

P

wordtogo_main.gifsheettogo_main.gifslideshowtogo_main.gifpdftogo_main.gif

Guest Jamma14

This is awesome..finally! Thanks to everyone at Dataviz!

James

EDIT: Okay it isn't working...just comes up with "This preview has expired" straight away??? I've tried to find any registry entries or files that affect this but there isn't any obvious ones...

Edited by Jamma14

This is awesome..finally! Thanks to everyone at Dataviz!

James

EDIT: Okay it isn't working...just comes up with "This preview has expired" straight away??? I've tried to find any registry entries or files that affect this but there isn't any obvious ones...

What about non-landscape displays?

Does it work on the "classic" smartphone too?

:) ....whoa!

I've just tried the Word and PDF parts on my Cingular 3125, very briefly. (Or the HTC Star Trek as it is also called.)

Unlike the ClearVue PDF program that was bundle with it, The DataViz DTG program was able to open and go through the entire PDF manual for the 3125 without any problems! The ClearVue to this day continues to choke when trying to open this file and locks my phone up.

The Word program was just awesome. Yeah, you have to fiddle with viewing and sizing to read the docs, but the fact that I was able to edit a couple of documents, was just awesome!!! I haven't transfered it to my PC, to view it on my desktop Office, yet.

So, my opinion at the moment is again: ...whoa!!!! :D

Try it, you'll like it!!!

Guest Sonicr360

Does anyone happen to know if this would work on the PPC Phone edition device (aka EXEC).

I know the PPC has softmaker versions, but its too heavy on memory, that by the time you launch a document, the memory is down to 2MB and makes the device unusable!

Simon

Guest Sonicr360

May have answered my own question .... finally able to get a connection to download the .cab and its installing now.... so I will happily report back the outcome :-)

Greetings

Simon

Guest Sonicr360

Well its installed, done a reboot, and to my surprise it works !!!!!!!

Is there a downside??

Well yes.... although it works and functions, it is clearly not designed for PPC :-( and this is a REAL shame, because not only does it use LESS memory, but it does exactly what it says on the site !!

Will have a play around more, but as Paul states, sadly it does appear to be smartphone use only.

Does anyone else know or a GOOD product like this, other than softmaker and the build in WM5 apps?

I have aPDF reader, but DTG is very, very good and I for one would be happy to pay for it !

Of course, if there was a WM5 VGA mode that allowed you to increase the screen size, this could also do the trick !!!

Great product, and makes me want to get a smartphone, because its something like that that makes a PDA/phone even better!

Although I do treat my XDA EXEC as my laptop, I am interested in the Samsung I320 - PAUL STILL WAITING FOR REVIEW MATE :-)

Simon

Guest Sonicr360

Paul

Editing would be nice. I have the Clearvue suite so I am happy with this, but the DTG is quite nice, memory friendly and quite quick!

the Samsung I320 looks like the device I want, but I did hear there was an I620 or something with 3G and Wi-Fi - if this is true, then I will hold out for that.

But you have a I320 - and that is why I have been holding off, waiting for your review on this model.

Are we going to see it, or have you dropped it?

Simon

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm probably going to have to drop that review i'm afraid due to time pressures.

I can however answer any question you like, and I DO currently have a Samsung Blackjack, to be released in Europe as the i600!

P

Guest Sonicr360

Hello Paul

Ok, well maybe its the I600 I am referring to. am I allowed to ask questions on this device in here?

If so.....

Whats it like

Any pics?

spec

Wi-Fi and 3G and Bluetooth?

Does Doc To Go work on it?

where can you get one?

I am a nice guy :)

Guest Paul (MVP)

- It's quite nice, unfortunately my unit has a dodgy spacebar, but it's good.

- Deets: http://www.samsungblackjack.com/

- No WiFi in US version, Euro should have. 3G and BT.

- Yes

You can buy on SIM free sans WiFI from gsmphonesource.com, or wait for the Euro release :)

My biggest complaint, stupid samsung proprietary connector :D

P

Guest Jamma14

Grr..why is it working for everyone else! Reinstalled and it is still saying it has expired... :) I'm really annoyed, I've been wanting an app like this for ages, I've e-mailed the developers but no reply yet. :D

Anyone have any suggestions?

Guest Sonicr360

Just an update after installing on my XDA EXEC.

software install ran perfectly, no problems there.

Clearly as Paul states its for the smartphone users of WM5 (grrrrrrr!) but I have to say its a very impressive package.

Although it does work on the XDA, there is obviously a design in the application to make it work on a specific screen. I have tried portrait and landscape, and although the data IS there, and CAN be edited, some of the documents (specifically word) cannot be seen in the correct view.

The zoome option offers 50, 100, 150% and that is it!! Cannot yet find a way to change this, because if I could, that would definetely sort out the problems I am seeing.

For smartphone users, this has to be a good product to have. For now, as it expires in March 2007 I am going to retain it, and try some other stuff!

Does anyone know anything about this so called VGA screen fix for PPC ???

Simon

Guest My_Immortal

I installed it on my Qtek 8500 (aka Star Trek) and it works fine. However, my documents are in the Greek language and I can't read them. Is there a setting that can make the program read and display unicode characters? Because if there was, I would be the first one to buy this amazing application in March!!!

Edited by My_Immortal

Guest My_Immortal
I installed it on my Qtek 8500 (aka Star Trek) and it works fine. However, my documents are in the Greek language and I can't read them. Is there a setting that can make the program read and display unicode characters? Because if there was, I would be the first one to buy this amazing application in March!!!

ANYONE...? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.