Get the iPhone style for your Pocket PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Swampie
If they didn't want it to be seen why release it to the press six months before it will be made available? - stupid marketing stunt IMHO.

Quite simply, because they were due to do the FCC filings, and as that's public information, it would effectively leak the product. Better to do it in a big blaze of glory and publicity, than have misinformation and confusion leak out when the FCC gets the details.

Guest Swampie

The ultimate issue I believe was down to use of Apple copyrighted icons. As with any copyrighted media (images, audio, video, documents etc) the owner of the media has the right to stop unauthorised users from using them.

Whilst it may see over the top, certainly with the regard to trademarks, if a trademark owner fails to enforce their trademark then they can end up with an unenforceable genericised trademark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark)

If someone decided to write their own CameraAware application (calling it CameraWarez or something), copying the application's icons and layout, and distributing it for free - I'm sure Modaco might try doing something about it. Maybe it might be a skin/add-on for TomTom (I know, TomTom doesn't have skins!) which gives the same layout and icons as CameraAware.

Or maybe the other way around - if CameraAware had used icons taken from TomTom - I'm sure TomTom would have tried to enforce the copyright issue.

I agree that it sounds very heavy handed - however, they're not doing anything wrong - they have the sound legal justification that the icons are their property (not to mention being used on 'competitor' devices). MS themselves is not unknown for employing similar style tactics on occasions.

I've no idea about whether the copyright covers layout/design etc - and whether using your *own* icons layed out in the iPhone style would be okay - but certainly, the images I've seen showed Apple icons being displayed without Apple's permission, and copied around. Reporting the information is one thing, providing a link to the source is a grey area, providing screen shots is certainly an issue.

wonder when apple with tell paul that the apple section is not legal , on the serious side i hope microsoft dont blame modaco for just reporting news ( which is all it was ) and take the mvp status away from its mvp members , bet bill has the homescreen anyway :)

Guest Stuart_f

The ironic thing is that by posting the Apple legal email the link to the site where the actual files are hosted is still available. Even better is that the www.macnewsworld.com story that is inaccurate in so many ways also manages to reproduce the link to a certain site where the actual files are still available. Bit of an own goal from the Apple legal team I think....

Guest bennish

careful... that looks like a windows mobile table to me!!! :)

(slightly off-topic observation):

also, isn't it amazing, even when we're talking about how apple's being moneygrabbing and bullying and microsoft's not, people still say 'M$' - yes, it's a dollar sign, we get it. i'm sure i wouldn't get far calling apple 'crapple' each and every single time i type it anywhere. i'm fairly sure the company is called microsoft, and MS for short.

or shall we start $ymbian? Ni$san? Ma€?

Guest pd.ryder
careful... that looks like a windows mobile table to me!!! :)

(slightly off-topic observation):

also, isn't it amazing, even when we're talking about how apple's being moneygrabbing and bullying and microsoft's not, people still say 'M$' - yes, it's a dollar sign, we get it. i'm sure i wouldn't get far calling apple 'crapple' each and every single time i type it anywhere. i'm fairly sure the company is called microsoft, and MS for short.

or shall we start $ymbian? Ni$san? Ma€?

Personally, I refer to 'em as Microsaft :D

Guest pisquee

Apple's only real claim to ownership of this design, is that the icons were their artwork.

If apple are claiming to have invented, or have the ownership of a grid of icons which launches computer programs then this is going to be an interesting battle, even on a mobile phone this has been done before, let alone on real computers.

I am sure that apple cannot be claiming copyright on a computer or phone having a black backround to its screen.

So, I would say that you can have a home screen on your win mobile which has a black background and a grid of icons which launches programs, as long as the icons are not apple's, or bear too much resemblance to them.

If apple are claiming to have invented, or have the ownership of a grid of icons which launches computer programs then this is going to be an interesting battle, even on a mobile phone this has been done before, let alone on real computers.

Certainly not on a phone - I'm sure that wonderful companies that gave this ability to WM like SPB, SBSH - and even smaller ones like cLaunch etc would definitely have a claim to the look and functionality of things like that. The difference is, companies/people like this are open to their work being changed/improved with skins/icons etc. Apple typically gets too big for it's boots claiming things like "it invented the mobile phone with a touchscreen" and crap like that. To sum up, Apple are full of s**t (censored to avoid any "Apple Legal" issues).

I own a 40Gb iRiver MP3 player and wouldn't swap it for an iPod under pain of death...never mind swapping my WM phone for something that is all style and no substance.

Guest Swampie
Swampie... we weren't distributing anything, we were just reporting on something from another site (how many times do I need to say that?)

P

I thought the Modaco news post included a copy (or a displayed image linked to) a screenshot of the copyrighted images.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cop...pyrighted_works

"If you know that an external Web site is carrying a work in violation of the creator's copyright, do not link to that copy of the work. Knowingly and intentionally directing others to a site that violates copyright has been considered a form of contributory infringement in the United States (Intellectual Reserve v. Utah Lighthouse Ministry)."

This to me would fit into Modaco's rules on piracy:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=announ...p;f=89&id=1

"Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if:

- They link to other illegal content or sites hosting them (eg Smartphone ROMs, Illegal Smartphone games etc. etc.)

Of course, there are those that argue homescreens / ringtones are a grey area - this is true - but I have made an executive decision to let these be posted, and should the copyright owner take issue, they can contact me and I will deal with the offending post immediately."

It sounds like this would fit in with it being a link to another site providing the copyrighted images, and the copyright owner contacting you to request the post be removed.

As I said though - it does seem very heavy handed by Apple.

Apple have truly jumped the shark on this one. Even the slashdot apple fanbois are being outnumbered by the "this is not cool" types. Believe me, that is a first for slashdot IMHO.

Hell, I've been active in those discussions and normally it's a huge karma (moderation) hit when you defend windows mobile. Right now I'd say over those threads my posts have been non-moderated, which is good as anything said pro-MS or anti-apple is normally committing suicide over there. I've managed to say both in the same post and get general agreement.

Apple, you messed up big this time. Even your astroturfers cannot save you now. You'd better watch out; like google your company depends upon the perception of "cool". Lose that and you are worthless. I can see myself writing an obituary article on Apple in a few years about how they had it all and lost it, much like Yahoo did.

Well as you know I do truly love a certain nameless recently-previewed GUI, and as youve seen earlier I set about reproducing it on my X50v.

Using Wisbar Advance Desktop I was finally able to get it all tricked out in VGA(480x360) and TrueVGA (640x480), portrait and landscape both.

http://angelswithcellphones.com/iSkin.jpg

:)

Edited by kiint

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.