SkinProject: OS X

Guest Jamma14

Guest Jamma14

index.php?automodule=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=2062

File Name: SkinProject: OS X

File Submitter: Jamma14

File Submitted: 9 Jan 2007

File Updated: 3 Mar 2007

File Category: QVGA Landscape ( Moto Q )

THE FILE IS NOT BROKEN, DOWNLOAD PART2 IN THE SUPPORT TOPIC!!!

READ THE BLINKING DESCRIPTION BEFORE YOU MARK SOMETHING AS BROKEN!!!

04/02/2007: Forgot to inlcude the Sliclock plugin in the rar!

It is now included..

03/02/2007: SkinProject OS X!

The new version of OS X for landscape smartphones is officially ready for download!

And with the new version, we bring to you a new name: the SkinProject.

Our team members are:

--Jamma14 - xml coder/layout designer

--echostats - graphic designer

And we hope to bring you lots more exciting skins in the future!

As for this release...the new features are:

--New graphics - looks almost identical to OS X now!

--OS X fonts!

--Smartmonitor battery icon changes according to battery power etc!

--All shortcuts in the dock link to files in Storage CardProgram FilesSkinProjectOS XShortcuts, so they are easily customisable!

--Dashboard!

--Missed Calls!

There are probably more too, but that'll do for now.

I'll update this topic with an animated gif tomorrow.

Things to do for the next release (which should take less time :D):

--Startup/shutdown screens

--Redo dashboard design

--Other suggestions?

We weren't 100% happy with everything in this release but we've kept you waiting so we released it anyway! In particular Dashboard will probably be changed in upcoming revisions - but a note for how it is at the moment: The tasks are customisable - search for "Tasks" in the xml and you can edit each one!

The filesize is slightly over 1Mb (the max MoDaCo dl limit) so you have to download this file, plus the one attached in the first post of the support topic). Read the readme for installation instructions!!

the

SkinProject team

19/01/2007:

Okay, fixed the cab file and made a few other tweaks - hopefully to fix any problems people are having.

The cab should hopefully work with all landscape smartphones now. Please uninstall all previous versions and install the new file.

18/01/2007:

Cab file update, now installs bitmaps to SD Card!

09/01/2007:

First release of OS X for landscape smartphones! Does NOT need the orange plugin! :D

Does require RJShortcut and Smartmonitor, and currently it must be installed manually.

By the way, I apologise for the use of bitmaps but different plugins render jpegs differently and it fuined the dock. But at least I didn't use the orange plugin! :D

Tested on the T-Mobile Dash but should work on all landscape qvga smartphones such as moto q, samsung blackjack etc.

For all you Dash-ers out there enable your JOGGRS! This is what it was made for!

You can download the utility HERE, honestly try it!

I've tried to make really functional and pretty homescreen and it's a good one to impress you're mates.

Would like to hear your feedback...:)

James

www.jammasoft.tk

PLUGINS:

SmartMonitor

RJShortcut

To-do list:

--Extra Screens

--Other suggestions??

Click here to download this file

SkinProject_OS_X.part2.rar

Edited by Jamma14

Guest sesro1978
index.php?automodule=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=2062
File Name: JammaSoft OS X

File Submitter: Jamma14

File Submitted: 9 Jan 2007

File Category: QVGA Landscape ( Moto Q )

09/01/2007:

First release of OS X for landscape smartphones! Does NOT need the orange plugin! :D

Does require RJShortcut and Smartmonitor, and currently it must be installed manually.

By the way, I apologise for the use of bitmaps but different plugins render jpegs differently and it fuined the dock. But at least I didn't use the orange plugin! :D

Tested on the T-Mobile Dash but should work on all landscape qvga smartphones such as moto q, samsung blackjack etc.

For all you Dash-ers out there enable your JOGGRS! This is what it was made for!

I've tried to make really functional and pretty homescreen and it's a good one to impress you're mates.

Would like to hear your feedback...:)

Hi,

Looks like an excellent screen! Any possibility of it working on a Cingular (HTC) 2125?

~S

James

www.jammasoft.tk

To-do list:

--Cab file

--Extra Screens

--Other suggestions??

Click here to download this file

I love your work, realy nice.

i have a bug! can you see it, possible to fix this?

My phone is a MotoQ

I have the exclamation in all rows, except message,MRU, all the rest have this exclamation (?)

ss000ms5.th.gif

regards

Edited by xvicx

Guest Jamma14

Ahh okay xvicx thanks for pointing that out, I wondered if that might happen on non excalibur landscape phones - I think it's because they have no wifi and therefore no wifi plugin.

Please try the new attatched xml, if that works then I'll update the main post with two versions.

@sleepdoc - install both the plugins linked to in the original post - you are missing rjshortcut which you need for this to work.

James

EDIT: Okay I assume this was the problem with the MotoQ - you can now find the MotoQ version linked to in the first post.

osx.home.xml

Edited by Jamma14

Guest sleepdoc

Thanks for the quick reply.

I actually did a reinstall of the support files and then your file. That worked to get all of the screens working. Now I'll try your new update.

Cheers!

Guest highfinance

Dash user here having a problem. When trying to load this theme I get "The layout you have selected cannot be loaded. Please select a different layout using the Home Screen item in settings"

Any help would be appreciated this layout is very clean (just what I was looking for)

Guest Jamma14

Okay xvicx, I think I've fixed your problem - I think you were using an older version of RJShortcut (not the one linked to in the thread) but it should now work with your version anyway.

Sleepdoc and Highfinance - I messed up the previous cab, (sorry)! but this one should work fine. Please everyone uninstall the old versions and reinstall the new one and let me know if it works??

It does on my Dash so I think it should....

James

I seem to be having the same problems as xvicx, but I am on a dash. I am going to reinstall the two plugins with the ones that you linked and reinstall with the os x cab file. I will let you know if the problem persists.

Guest sleepdoc

Now I just need to get File Explorer and Core Player. Having trouble locating them. Any way to change the links to different programs? Maybe a preferences page?

TIA, and keep up the good work.

Guest echostats

This is by far, BY FAR, the best home screen available. I was VERY skeptical because it just looked too good to be true. Well, I have looked and looked and it is 99% perfect. The ONLY thing two things that could make it better is to have the bluetooth logo go to black when bluetooth is activated and the other I am not sure if it's just me or not but when I am not scrolling through the dock, at the top left it says "Home Ser". Not sure why...

Also, and if this is even possible I don't know but this would be the most amazing thing and I am sure you already thought of it... but having the airport actually show the phone signal strength. I will feel real dumb if that is what it's doing because I can't seem to get it to lower but yea.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can't wait to show this to everyone!

Guest sleepdoc

Jamma,

Would it also be possible to change the default click response, ie. when i hit select i am brought to the wireless manager. That, and the above suggestions would make this simply the best!

Also, is it possible to get rid of the windoze start menu at the bottom of the screen. Seeing that logo really ruins my enjoyment of "mac os" on my phone.

Thanks again!

Guest jorginity

Hello it seems when I change profiles on my blackjack monitor plugin breaks and also file explorer and itune short cuts dont work any ideas?

Thanks!

Guest echostats

Alright... I fixed my own problems. Check it out! The file is attached.

The following is all you have to do:

1. Take the attached file and put it in the "\Application Data\Home" folder on your Q. ( osx.home.xml.zip )

2. Either restart your Q or in Settings, change your home screen to another home screen and then back to the Jammasoft OSX. This just makes the phone read the xml file that you just copied.

The following is what is changes/fixes:

1. It removes the "Home Serv" words at the top and instead reads "Finder File Edit View Window" just like OSX

2. It uses 12hr time as opposed to military time.

3. It changes the Finder icon link to the Resco File Manager, which I like a lot better than the stock file manager.

Just so the creator of this knows, I did not remove any of the credits that you placed in the xml file. And thank you very much for making such an awesome skin. I have looked everywhere and this is the most real OSX file ever.

I will be adding new wallpapers here soon and new desktop icons that read from the smartmonitor plugin.

Why try to beat something that's already the best? Just make it better. Feel free to ask me questions or make requests. I think I can figure the rest of this skinning stuff out.

Edited by echostats

Guest echostats
Hello it seems when I change profiles on my blackjack monitor plugin breaks and also file explorer and itune short cuts dont work any ideas?

Thanks!

Uhm the blackjack probably has the Windows Media program and the File explorer either named something different or in a different file. Basically, those icons at the bottom are just links to your file on your blackjack. It was made for a Q so it follows the Q's file structure. About the monitor plugin, I have no idea.

The only way to fix the links is to edit the xml file, which if you have to ask, is probably a bit too tricky. If you could tell me the exact location on you blackjack those programs are, I can make the file for you.

Guest echostats
Jamma,

Would it also be possible to change the default click response, ie. when i hit select i am brought to the wireless manager. That, and the above suggestions would make this simply the best!

Also, is it possible to get rid of the windoze start menu at the bottom of the screen. Seeing that logo really ruins my enjoyment of "mac os" on my phone.

Thanks again!

As you see above, I have done the changes that I was asking about. Just download the file and follow the easy instructions.

Basically, I just got this phone and I am really excited to get it looking and working exactly how I want it. This skin is by far the best and I am gonna work to make it better. I also have plans for a "dashboard" like home screen and some other ideas for this skin as well.

About the start menu, I totally agree. My goal is to figure out how to just hide it BUT the only downside of that is it will not show up that you have a missed call or message. Jamma has it setup to show that in the bottom right, which is perfect. So we will see...

As I said above, I am new at this but I'm a quick learner. I will see what I can come up with.

The idea setup would be remove the start menu and have the new messages and calls show up as icons on the desktop. But who knows if I can pull that off.

Please feel free to give suggestions.

Guest Jamma14

First off, thanks for all the comments. :)

No thanks to whoever gave the theme 1 star but failed to post saying why...but anyway I'm not bitter or anything...:)

At anyone who is having problems...just try uninstalling everything then reinstalling the plugins and file linked to in the thread as that should all work fine - if something still isn't working, then feel free to shout at me. :D

At sleepdoc: No there is no way to change the default response because there can only be one selectable plugin on each page - which is the wifi plugin on the first one, which automatically links to the comm manager. You could take out the wifi plugin and put a rjshortcut of your choice in the xml above it but I felt I'd rather have the wifi plugin for more info on the first page.

At everyone wanting to change the shortcuts: It really isn't actually that hard. Everyone's phones will be different so I can't release hundreds of versions so all the shortcuts work with everyone, but if you want to change them yourselves it is actually very easy. Go to \Application Data\Home and move osx.home.xml to the pc. Open it in wordpad and within the xml there are lots of "shortcut target=" which are links to the programs. Whichever programs you want it to link to, just type in the path. CorePlayer is the only third party program but I included it because I think it's awesome and everyone should get it - the developer has put loads of effort into it so support him and buy it! (There is a free version called TCPMP as well though...)

At echostats: The bluetooth and signal icons cannot be used because of the limits the smartphone homescreen design has, it might've been achievable with the orange plugin, but I wanted to make this more accessible than some of my previous efforts. Also, I like your positive attitude in wanting to make it exactly like the real thing and more functional with missed calls, messages etc. but...

--Hiding start menu - impossible. It's not part of the homescreen it's an integral part of the whole smartphone os.

--New messages as a desktop icon - impossible without the orange plugin, so for this theme, impossible.

--Missed calls as desktop icon - missed calls plugin will come in the next release. It is possible to have it, but only on the first page (as for the dock to scroll properly there can only be one plugin per page) and it'll have to be under the smartmonitor icons.

Also the top left is a plugin for your carrier, eg if you are on T-Mobile it should say T-mobile, I'm just guessing you're on the carrier Home Serv...?

Well done for getting in there and editting it yourself! But I just want to make a few comments on the modifcations :D:

1. I could've changed it to the file finder etc. menu but thought it might be weird since they could not be selected, plus on the first page I wanted to have lots of information: wifi, sd, time, battery and carrier, so I decided to put in more plugins the plain text. Not sure about Home Serv, what carrier are you on?

2. I prefer military time and I believe it's the default on OS X.

3. I was wanting to make it more accessible, so all the shortcuts in the dock link to programs that are installed on default (apart from CorePlayer because I think it is the best smartphone application available and thought I would encourage its usage)!

So not so sure about "improvements"..maybe for you but not for everyone..:D

Like I said though echostats I really do appreciate the comments, and the work you're putting in to get it how you want.

However...I put a lot of work into this in the first place and made it generic because I wanted it to be open for everyone. If you look at the comment in the rar and on my website, you'll see that I was offering total recustomisations of the theme. I'm saving up for university next year but even after putting lots of work into the theme really didn't want to sell it because I wanted lots of people to be able to use it and appreciate it. So I instead left people with the option that if they do appreciate it and want a few things personalised (eg personal wallpaper, other links, plugins and icons on the dock and desktop) then they can contact me and I'll redo it to their design for a minimal fee.

When you say:

"I will be adding new wallpapers here soon and new desktop icons that read from the smartmonitor plugin."

"Feel free to ask me questions or make requests."

"But who knows if I can pull that off."

"Please feel free to give suggestions."

It may sound stupid, I don't know, but it kinda feels like you're stealing a bit of my thunder when I was the one asking for suggestions and trying to improve my theme for everyone in the first place, and then if it was appreciated then maybe some people would donate or if they didn't want to donate, request a custom to help support it.

I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm outta line at all here considering it is a free theme, and echostats please don't feel like this is a personal attack or anything I really do appreciate what you've said, but thats just the way I feel. I totally don't mind anyone customising it at all, in fact I encourage it but I'm just not happy with anyone trying to take over the updates etc and basically take over the theme. If you have any requests or suggestions (or comments on this post!)...please let me know.

James

EDIT: Just to clarify, please everyone do feel free to edit it how you like, just don't start saying you're on a crusade to improve the theme or asking for requests or suggestions etc. And anyway, I have the psd so I can do all those things better than you, tens of times quicker. :D Let me update the theme myself. Although it's free, I still feel it's mine to give to the smartphone community.

Edited by Jamma14

Guest echostats
When you say:

"I will be adding new wallpapers here soon and new desktop icons that read from the smartmonitor plugin."

"Feel free to ask me questions or make requests."

"But who knows if I can pull that off."

"Please feel free to give suggestions."

EDIT: Just to clarify, please everyone do feel free to edit it how you like, just don't start saying you're on a crusade to improve the theme or asking for requests or suggestions etc. And anyway, I have the psd so I can do all those things better than you, tens of times quicker. :) Let me update the theme myself. Although it's free, I still feel it's mine to give to the smartphone community.

I totally understand what your saying and those comments that I made, although I did not mean to sound like I was "stealing your thunder", I clearly was. I'm sorry about that. Of course you know more about this, and that's why I really wanted you to respond. Please understand that just today I realized I was looked at the JOIN DATE under your name in your posts rather than the POST DATE. I basically thought you abandoned this theme. I feel retarded now that I see that you joined in 2004 and just responded like the other day! Very sorry about that but most forums the post date is there. My mistake.

About the military time, that is certainly NOT default on OS X but it's to each his own.

Just so you understand where I am coming from, I graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh with a bachlors in Graphic Arts/Design and currently head up the art division as the Art Director of a national marketing company. I cannot stand when people, outside of work, tell me how I can do things better but never try to do it themselves. Because I thought you hadn't posted since 2004, I figured you'd abandoned it. I sat there upset because it's perfect but not PERFECT because of Verizon putting "Home Service" everywhere and the military time, etc. I looked around for an xml file because I figured that's what these ran off of and sure enough, it was easier to edit those small things than I thought!

Again, I apologize for seeming to take over the updates. I certainly was not intended to. Please understand that I was simply posting because I thought you had abandoned the project.

I look forward to recent updates. Thank you for everything you have done for the smartphone community. We all appreciate your work! It's the best, seriously.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.