HTC Vox Caught In The Wild!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

[teaser]

thumb_17-Jan-2007_htc_vox_1a.jpg

Why is it that the people prepared to leak shots of unreleased devices always do so using dodgy cameras that produce blurry shots!? Bah :)

Anyway, what you see before you is said to be the upcoming HTC Vox, a Smartphone with a (semi-automatic :D ) sliding QWERTY keyboard!

Specs for this device are as follows:

• WM6 (Crossbow) for Smartphone
  • TI OMAP 850 200MHz CPU
  • ROM 128MB / RAM 64MB
  • 2.4" QVGA Screen
  • Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz
  • WiFi 802.11b/g
  • MicroSD
  • 2MP Camera
  • "Semi-automatic" sliding QWERTY keyboard

More blurryness after the jump...[/teaser]

thumb_17-Jan-2007_htc_vox_1.jpg

thumb_17-Jan-2007_htc_vox_2.jpg

thumb_17-Jan-2007_htc_vox_3.jpg

thumb_17-Jan-2007_htc_vox_4.jpg

thumb_17-Jan-2007_htc_vox_6.jpg

thumb_17-Jan-2007_htc_vox_5.jpg

[Source]

Guest awarner (MVP)
where in the uk can i buy this, and how much dose it cost?

As the first post explains it's not ben released yet so there is nowhere in the UK you can buy it and no idea what the retail cost will be.

Guest Stuart_S

Wow!!! Please say this will replace the failed c700!!!!

Orange, if you ever see this post... sell this!!!!

(lthe looks remind me of the old nokia 6600)

I don't know about this...

Its a Candybar form factor (when the keyboard is not extended, at least), but it seems to have a bit more girth and width than we're used to HTC candybar phones having.

I love candybar form factors because I beleive phones should be PHONES. That's why I ditched all my PPC's and won't even touch a blackberry device. For me, the Qwerty phones just don't work, and I know I'm not alone in this (lot of Tornado fans here to agree with me).

So, I was excited for the idea of this phone; a smartphone with a hidden keyboard so you can keep the ideal form factor without losing out on a keyboard for those hard-to-t9 moments. However am I the only one who thinks that this phone seems wider and thicker than any candybar form factor phone should be? There aren't any shots of the side so its hard to tell, but it definently looks too wide... anyone get the dimensions on this?

By the way, I don't know if anyone else caught the irony in the name... it sounds very similar to the failed Sierra Voq. Anyone remember the Voq? Well, it was the first smartphone to have a numeric keypad with a hidden Qwerty keyboard. How appropriate that HTC's first device like this share a similar sounding name.

Anyone think it was deliberate?

Guest The Doctor

As this thing has Crossbow, it will also have the office suite thats built into Crossbow :) So your going to find that keyboard very handy for typing word documents etc :D

Phil

Guest bennish

sa

weeeeet

I'm glad to see it has a dpad. what a nice device! still, wouldn't it be nice to have some non-landscape qwerty? like, maybe a version that has a treo-style keyboard that slides out the bottom, but numpad normally?

C'mon, bring out 2 models. a landscape one and a portrait one. twice as many customers!

Guest nedge2k

Yeh, fully agree there. I'm not a great fan of having to turn the phone round to slide out the keyoard...tis a pain! That's one of the reasons I loved the g-Smart so much and why I was looking forward to the original design of the i760.

However, you have to remember that this is a Smartphone, not a PPC and therefore will be smaller, easier to handle and therefore less of a hassle to flip round in order to use the keyboard :)

Hey ho.

Guest bennish
Yeh, fully agree there. I'm not a great fan of having to turn the phone round to slide out the keyoard...tis a pain! That's one of the reasons I loved the g-Smart so much

Man... if the gsmart had predictive text i would totally have bought it. that's the same as the stealth right?

Guest nedge2k
Man... if the gsmart had predictive text i would totally have bought it. that's the same as the stealth right?

Minus the TV tuner yeah :D Oh and with 192MB ROM instead of 64MB :)

Looks like a winner to me!

this will atract people who think the buttons of (for instance) a treo/blackberry are to small to handle (me being one of those people).

only time will tell...

Pigo

Guest HerpezP

These informations are from some different places, can't remember them all, but here goes:

Size: about 100 mm x 50 mm x 18 mm (a little wide but actually pretty small)

Weight: 130 g

Release date: March 2007 (first phone with WM6 (Crossbow))

Why do we have to wait until Q3 for this form factor to get 3G (HTC Wings), HTC...?

Btw, I think semi-automatic slider mechanism just means that it's spring loaded like most normal vertical sliders are nowadays.

Edited by HerpezP

Kinda disappointed in the 200MhZ processor. Can't HTC splurge a little and go with 300 like the mteor? I shudder to think of the portrait to landscape switching speed when jetisoning the keyboard. Whats the deal with HTC's 3G? Is it all going to be standard 2100MHZ UMTS, or is HTC building phones with support for 850/1900/2100 for us USA folks on Cingular and T-Mo?

Guest paholman
These informations are from some different places, can't remember them all, but here goes:

Size: about 100 mm x 50 mm x 18 mm (a little wide but actually pretty small)

Weight: 130 g

Release date: March 2007 (first phone with WM6 (Crossbow))

I've got a QTEK 8500 (StrTrk) and those dimensions above looks similar to the StrTrk (a couple of mm either way) when closed, so it does look small. If they put a keyboard in this too, within these dimensions, that would be something.

Smaller than the SPV C500, but I didn't like the numeric keypad on that, too small to operate with one hand, This one looks pretty similar :)

Edited by paholman

Guest chucky.egg
Why is it that the people prepared to leak shots of unreleased devices always do so using dodgy cameras that produce blurry shots!?

Presumably that's because they use Smartphone cameras to take the pictures.

I heard there was a new MS concept called "Blurred For Sure"

A 2MP camera on this thing probably won't improve matters much. I do wonder why they bother - why not just sort it out or ditch the camera?

Strange but on the pda database (http://pdadb.net) and other leaked photos they were under the impression that there was no D Pad but a jogger scroll whell instead, either way I guess its still gonna be a hit.

rgds

Jim

Edited by jfran

Well after doing a quick bit of research, it seems that this will be released in march... I wonder what networks it will be available on, if any?

Where did you find that out? The release date that is

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.