Upgrading to Vista? Be aware RUUs won't work....

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

This is a Public Service Announcement.

Looking to upgrade to Windows Vista? You might just want to keep an XP partition on your machine, as ROM upgrades via the normal RUU client do NOT work from within Vista, due to changes in the way the OS accesses the device. This also prevents IMEI-check unlocks from working on Vista.

I found out the hard way, don't make the same mistake :)

Here ends the Public Service Announcement.

:D

P

Guest The Doctor
Good job I have another pc with XP :D

Lucky I haven't installed vista on my xp machine yet. I still have far too much work to do on that hurricane wm5 rom :)

Phil

Guest jimbouk

In these days of min 80gb hard disks etc... I have no problem leaving an XP partition and a Vista Partition. Thats what I did when I got the Action Pack Vista anyway - just installed it over the Vista Beta Partition... But I havent booted XP since...

Guest kipnlar
In these days of min 80gb hard disks etc... I have no problem leaving an XP partition and a Vista Partition. Thats what I did when I got the Action Pack Vista anyway - just installed it over the Vista Beta Partition... But I havent booted XP since...

Sometime this year, Virtual PC 2007 (Vista compatible version) should be available as a free download from Microsoft. You could use it to run an XP virtual machine when you to do something that doesn't work in Vista.

Guest rikwebb

:)

Found this out myself at the weekend, doesnt even work in compatability mode!!

Running the RUU put the phone in bootloader, but goes no further.

Better leave one of my machines on XP.

Rik

Guest genaldar
Sometime this year, Virtual PC 2007 (Vista compatible version) should be available as a free download from Microsoft. You could use it to run an XP virtual machine when you to do something that doesn't work in Vista.

The beta is out and it works great (not that it will help in this instance). Since pretty much anything that doesn't work in Vista doesn't work in xp 64 either there is nothing stopping me from upgrading :).

Guest tobyanscombe

Just remember that us Mac users still need an XP box kicking around! - Even Parallels (which does almost everything) is not quite enough.

I've had Vista for a while and to be honest would go back to XP as I dont think that it is worth it just now. The prospect of re-installing everything puts me off...

Having had more OS's than I can shake a stick at (from 8088's upwards and not just Windows but early linux and OS 9 etc as well....even BeOS for a bit) I cannot see the point in it. I don't agree that the OS should drive the machine and not the machine driving the OS.

Ho Hum, least my Trinity is running the Dopod test rom now ;-)

Guest The Doctor
Just remember that us Mac users still need an XP box kicking around!

This is why I need an intel mac, so i can dual boot OS X (for general use) and XP (for phone/rom stuff)

Guess IMEI Check are gonna have a busy few weeks ahead!

Yep they will, I'm also curious as to whether mtty1.42.exe is still able to comunicate with the phone in bootloader running under vista tho, i know the SPV-Services client we all know and love doesn't work :)

Sounds like vista isn't worth me upgrading from XP yet then :D

Phil

Guest Confucious

My main box runs SBS2003 - which lots of things don't rub on. My laptop was running Vista beta(slowly) but has gone bang - not sure whether it's worth repairing or just getting a new better spec one. so I have an old box running XP (and it is an old one) just to overcome all the compatibility issues. I really need an older box running DOS so I can play the discworld games....

Guest Swampie

It might help with doing some things, but not anything which communicates with USB devices. Unlike VMWare which has had USB support for years, Virtual PC 2007 still hasn't got USB support, so you cannot communicate with USB devices from within a guest OS.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.