Spb Software House launch Spb Mobile Shell

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Spb Software House, MoDaCo Plus partners and purveyors of such fine software as Spb Pocket Plus, Spb Diary, Spb Weather etc., have just released their latest application, 'Spb Mobile Shell'.

Spb Mobile Shell is a cross between the mother-of-all Today plugins, and a brand new menuing system, with a 'now' screen (that displays on startup), a photo contacts plugin, a contacts picker, a weather plugin, integration with a bunch of other Spb applications and a whole lot more thrown in too.

In their own words...

Spb Mobile Shell introduces the next generation user interface while keeping all advantages of a Windows Mobile device. Enjoy your Pocket PC!

Features

• The most important information at one screen
  • Phone style menu
  • Weather forecasts
  • Photo speed dial
  • World time
  • Launcher
  • Big dynamic tabs on Today
  • Color based themes
  • Smart contact search
  • Auto-hide mode for Today plug-ins

I've just started having a play and have literally scratched the surface, but I already know it's an awesome application that is destined to stay on my device!

Head over to the Mobile Shell homepage to find out more, or to download a free trial. I'll leave you with some SpbMS eye candy :)

P

1a.gif200.png302.png

I have an imate sp5. Downloaded this app from the web to trial it as it looks like exactly what I'm after.

However, it fails to install. Any ideas why this could be ?

Guest pisquee
I have an imate sp5. Downloaded this app from the web to trial it as it looks like exactly what I'm after.

However, it fails to install. Any ideas why this could be ?

Isn't the SP5 a smartphone, and not a pocket PC?

Guest Syphon Filter

Guys,

Is it possible to have the "Now" screen on ALL the time and have the device locked etc?

Also, can you customise the items that are in the "Home" tab?

Guest mavisdavis
Guys,

Is it possible to have the "Now" screen on ALL the time and have the device locked etc?

Also, can you customise the items that are in the "Home" tab?

Yep everything is customisable Syphon Filter. And yes you can have the Lock in your today Items and after a while a really nice analogue clock appears, Its a bloody great piece of kit inded, The contacts dialer is ace

Guest mavisdavis

in the 3hrs Ive had it installed on my M600 with nothing else running (just played around with the menus & setup) my battery has gone down from 50% to 31% AND ITS BEEN PLUGGED IN TO MY PC !!!! Has anybody experienced this shocking discovery???

EDIT :

After a couple of resets and a bit of playing Its all OK now.. PHEW!

Hats off to SPB for this one. guys at work have been really impressed wth my new look ;-)

Edited by mavisdavis

Hmmm, I have only recently purchased SBSH iLauncher and PocketBreeze, as I preferred these to the SPB versions.

I wonder if SBSH will be doing something similar.

This looks remarkably similar to the jgui app that came out a few weeks ago though.

Guest Syphon Filter
Yep everything is customisable Syphon Filter. And yes you can have the Lock in your today Items and after a while a really nice analogue clock appears, Its a bloody great piece of kit inded, The contacts dialer is ace

I have an unregistered version running on my M3100, I cant see the options to change which items are available in the tabs etc. Do I have to purchase to get full functionality?

Guest Syphon Filter
I'd like to be able to have the 'now' screen as my today screen :)

P

Yeah you and me both!! That is exactly what I would like too.

Also, what I mean by customisability is that I want to chance the items that appear in the "home" tab of of the mobile shell plugin etc...

It would be great to be able to switch between a normal today screen and the "now" screen properly...as paul says...having the NOW screen as the today screen would rock.

Guest kurtfhouse

P

If you want something like that why don't you try Wisbar Advance 2 and Wisbar Advance Desktop?

You could get something looking a lot better with a bit of tweaking as its totally customisable.

Take a look at the forums over at:

http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/forum/index.php

P

Hmm, how about rlToday + either SBSH iLauncher or SPB PocketPlus with their respective weather plugin as the first tab.

That way you get a nice clock and calendar, the weather, you will see your default notification icons for missed things anyway, and have quick easy access to your other tabs for launching things.

Guest stormuk

To get the most out of it it feels like you have to add the rest of the spb software liabrary to replace each dumbed down tab options. Which is a shame if your trying to reduce the resource overhead...

Guest Syphon Filter
To get the most out of it it feels like you have to add the rest of the spb software liabrary to replace each dumbed down tab options. Which is a shame if your trying to reduce the resource overhead...

What do you mean? It works just fine as it is.

One gripe I have, its not really that customisable. How do you change the items that appear in the "Home" tab for example? Why can you not make the "Now" screen a more permanent feature? I paid $30 for it and its not half as customisable as I hoped it would be.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest stormuk

Home Tab - Only 12 Large Icons even though if its the only app on the homepage there is room for lots more, its not easy to get them in any personal order and no simple way of pining them on via a directory - resolution by spb Today

Weather Tab - Unable to change to any other city than the predefined ones - resolution spb weather.

No actual dumbed down Diary tab so need to get spb Diary to get any.

Alarm - okay this is fine as it is (well it is for me) but if you want more spb Time

Contacts - not enough contact slots - though I admit on this one spb dont have an alternative to make this better (unless its in the pipeline)

Dont get me wrong though I love it just wish it was just a little more able to stand on its own two feet

Edited by stormuk

Guest Syphon Filter

Ok, heres what I want.

1. Adjustable the height for plugin, fixed can be restrictive

2. Customisable "items" in the "Home" tab as opposed to just most recently used

3. More than 5 dial/picture contact things

4. As mentioned before "Now" screen as Today or better yet...a "Now" tab.

5. Missed Calls etc in a "Phone" tab

6. A proper messaging tab to show emails, voicemails and SMS

Now, I understand that this is a shell application and most of the above can be achieved by using 3rd party apps and then having the tabs in loaded in the shell.

But a bit more flexabilty is definitely needed.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest shanedean

It would be nice if 'Now' screen would appear after a certain time as a screen saver type thing...or does it do that already? Haven't noticed if it does! And if it had a 'seconds' hand too.

Has anyone else spotted that the little analogue clock tab actually tells the correct time? I think that's cool...you know what they say about small things and all that... :)

I agree in part with what others have said about the 'Now' screen being a little basic and not customisable enough but I'm sure SPB will work on it and take our comments on board. Besides, you wouldn't want it too crowded would you?

Had a quick look at that rlToday link. Nice...

Guest Paul (MVP)

stormuk - you mention 'SPB Today' as the answer to issue 1 - how does that work?

re: "no actual dumbed down Diary tab so need to get spb Diary to get any", you can insert the standard diary plugin as a tab no?

re: "Contacts - not enough contact slots - though I admit on this one spb dont have an alternative to make this better (unless its in the pipeline)", would you like a scrolling list then?

P

Guest Syphon Filter

SPB Today??

Whats that??? Can't see it on their site...

Edit: Found it...its just a collection of all the apps in a bundle?!

Edited by Syphon Filter

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.