I feel let down by Windows Mobile and Orange

Guest moonshot

Guest moonshot

I feel let down by Windows Mobile and Orange. There is now a large gap in the Windows smartphone market and it is being filled by Symbian and Blackberry.

Orange was the leader in introducing Windows to the mass market with the SPV range and now it is going to kill the market it created. My local Orange shop does not have any Windows Mobile phones, it has stopped selling them; apparently this is the new Orange policy; I would have to go to an Orange business centre to get a WM phones. For three years I have been loyal to both Windows and Orange, (c500, c550 and now c600). So what do I upgrade to now? How long do I have to wait for the next WM smartphone to appear?

The reason us C500, c550 and c600 owners have these phones is because of the size and weight otherwise I guess we would be going for the new m700. Orange told me that they dropped the C700 because it did not meet their high standards. I wonder!

Many of us who have taken the Orange free broadband now feel a bit tied to Orange and would change the mobile brand rather that the company. But I would change if Vodafone, o2 or t-mobile had something better then the c600 on offer but I have looked and there does not seem to be much.

Orange are now offering the Blackberry and the new Symbian 9 touch screen phones. I have had the SE m600i for two days now on a seven day trial. It does not have a camera or wifi but @ 112g it is packed with features and to buy the software that is included in the m600i for my c600 would at a rough guess cost me £60. And Sony Ericsson's tech help line is very good.

I don't think Orange see a future in Windows Mobile smartphones. You only have to read the complaints about Orange in this forum and you can put two and two together, it is not a viable option for Orange. Ok, they have the f600 on the way but hardly ground breaking stuff.

I still have a few days before I have to return (or keep) the m600i and I am still keeping a bit of an open mind, if anyone thinks I'm wrong, I would be pleased to have your comments

Guest The Doctor
Looks like the XDA Graphite on O2 (http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=250567) could be what you're looking for?

The M700 actually isn't much bigger than the M600i though, nor is the MDA Compact III on T-Mobile...

P

I've also noticed the HUGE lack of smartphones available on non-business contracts, seems to be limited to the C500 and C600 on orange. There is also NO smartphones on PAYG except the Lobster 700. All in all I'm disappointed in all of the network providers in this country for not providing some form of reasonable consumer smartphone solution.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sxywill2005
I've also noticed the HUGE lack of smartphones available on non-business contracts, seems to be limited to the C500 and C600 on orange. There is also NO smartphones on PAYG except the Lobster 700. All in all I'm disappointed in all of the network providers in this country for not providing some form of reasonable consumer smartphone solution.

Phil

Lets face it, OK the Lobster has DAB-IP, but the device is bloody fugly and uses the cheap red and black Virgin Mobile branding, it doesn't look cool at all! Why do they choose to call their own handsets LOBSTER???? It is cheap and horribly tacky.

In response to not much choice. I sorta agree.

The problem with Windows Mobile handsets is that all the ODM's are using customers as a play ground to experiment with concept designs. OK there have been a few which have been excellent such as the HTC slider range for PPC and smartphone which wipes the floor with Nokia's keyboard brick. SPV C500 very nice and small handset, why don't we see more of that? HTC ruined the the C700 by giving it that horrid slanted design.

Look at Nokia and SE, they all have nicely designed handsets particularly SE and Samsung has come a long way too. Moto continues to have a plastic "going to snap soon" feel to them. Yeah they have the concept, now refine it for the consumer and not the business and thats why retailers such as Carphone and F4U wont stock Win Mo handsets and nor will the networks.

Cameras are a big selling point to consumers on a phone, need I say more about the current state of HTC cameras? The noise is awful!

Microsoft really needs to change its approach to Win Mo and focus more the consumer. I have always said that a basic 3D phone interface which matched Windows Media Centre would be quite popular especially with media playing a big part. Microsoft should then market the handset as being totally intergrated with media, hotmail, MSN or Live, blogs and being able to store your calendars and practically anything on a Windows Mobile. I am not saying the current interface should be ditched, but that can be kept to businesses.

I think Nokia has totally lost it on concepts and design. Please may we see more Win Mo handsets having a "must have" design and branding? Not some cheap immitaion of RAZR and SLVR (even though I like the SPL). Windows Mobile handsets seem to be 2 generations behind while the OS is a generation forward which is a real shame.

I hope that we see more WI-FI in handsets and that we see samsung do a D900 with Win Mo!