MoDaCo is undergoing planned maintenance. Site functionality may be reduced - follow @modaco or @paulobrien on Twitter for updates.

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software
      Nintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)

CUSTOM ROMS

You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not be hosted directly in topic via the MoDaCo attachment system
      ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)
      ROMs must give full credit to the original author
      This decision has been taken in light of the huge amount of interest in this area of device customisation within the community, and member feedback! Please note that custom ROM discussion should be kept in specific device sub-areas, (e.g. Kaiser.MoDaCo.com for Kaiser based devices). ISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact me directly via PM. P
    • Support MoDaCo by signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold membership

To sign up to an annual MoDaCo Silver subscription which will eliminate all ads from the site (as well as giving you access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchens for Android) for only £9.99 using PayPal, Credit or Debit Card, ensure you are logged in to the site, and then click the link below, which will take you directly to the subscription store! You can also sign up to an annual MoDaCo Gold subscription for £29.99, which adds the benefits listed below! PURCHASE A MODACO SUBSCRIPTION - FREE Titanium Backup Mobile for Android worth $5.99! - FREE 1 year PrivateInternetAccess.com worth $39.95! - FREE 1 year LastPass Premium worth $12! - FREE CalcConvert for Pocket PC from Binaryfish worth $17.95! - FREE Calendar Bar for Pocket PC from OmegaOne worth $9.99! - FREE CamerAware for Pocket PC and Smartphone from MoDaCo worth £19.99 / $30! - FREE Chronos for Pocket PC from ActiveKitten worth $14.95! - FREE CodeWallet Pro for Smartphone and Pocket PC from DeveloperOne worth up to $24.95! - FREE Concentrix for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE FlexMail for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE FTouchSL for Pocket PC from Vekoff s.r.o. worth 10 euro / $12.50! - FREE Jewel Challenge for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE John Cody's Alerts Pro for Smartphone from Omnisoft worth $14.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Dutch for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> French for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> German for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Italian for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Spanish for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Dutch for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> French for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> German for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Russian for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Turkish for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE Note2Self for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $19.90! - FREE Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Opera Software worth up to $48! - FREE Pocket Informant for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE Pocket Launcher for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Conduits worth $9.95! - FREE PTab for Pocket PC and Smartphone from z4soft worth up to $60! - FREE Resco Explorer for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Resco worth up to $49.90! - FREE Safemode for Pocket PC from monocube worth $12.95 - FREE SplashPhoto for Pocket PC and Smartphone from SplashData worth up to $59.90! - FREE Sprite Backup for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Sprite Software worth $29.95! - FREE Teksoft Glyphs UI for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €9.95! - FREE Teksoft HeadsetRemote for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €4.95! - FREE Traffic Jam for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE unlock (1 per year) from imei-check.co.uk - DISCOUNT of 10% at MoDaCo FairDeal - DISCOUNT of 10% at Semsons.com - FORUM - AD FREE SITE - FORUM - custom rank / title - FORUM - double competition entries - FORUM - double post attachment space - FORUM - no search flood control - FORUM - priority event registration - FORUM - triple PM space
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspensions / ban.

Network message....

12 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Just a few mins ago got a text whose message was

'network message, please delete!'

it is sent from 'pers' - a name/pseudonym I don't know.

If indeed it was from T-mob then surely it would say the text was from T-mob, would it not.

anyway just wondering of anyone else had got this message?

and any way of finding the number it was sent from? as all I have on my hermes is the option of tapping the name and adding it to my contacts, not something I want to do.

Posted · Report post

I received it this morning!

Posted · Report post

This is indeed from Tmob.

They send them out when updating your services on the network, or when they are altering some of your settings.

Posted · Report post

I had it this weekend too!

P

Posted · Report post

The fact that it just says from "pers" is a bit concerning - I'm sure Orange had something better.

Wow! I've just said O had something better than T - Is there no end to my lunacy?

Posted · Report post

O ones used to say "SIM UPDATE"...

P

Posted · Report post

O ones used to say "SIM UPDATE"...

P

that's right - a bit more informative! pity the rest of there service isn't - lol

Posted · Report post

It's just a system message.

They're common across all networks, and they're called OTAPS - Over The Air Programme Settings messages. My mate who used to work for Virgin Mobile had to write some different OTAPS for phones which weren't officially supported (like some of the Motorolas which wouldn't correctly accept the GPRS settings) and he said it was a pain in the arse to do.

Dumb phones just receive the message, apply the new network settings instantly then delete them when your phone reboots. However, WM being as WM is, it regards them as a regular text message and keeps them in your inbox even though they're a system message. pers is just the system identifier, disregard it.

I'm sure Vodafone's otaps are just as bizarrely-named ;)

Posted · Report post

Do you know what sort of things they update? I have just received my replacement O2Exec which I run on T-Mob - do these OTAPs change anything I need to change? Or will having the latest ROM fix anything these OTAPs do? Or can't you tell?

Posted · Report post

Do you know what sort of things they update? I have just received my replacement O2Exec which I run on T-Mob - do these OTAPs change anything I need to change? Or will having the latest ROM fix anything these OTAPs do? Or can't you tell?

OTAPS (at least in my opinion) have always been for dumber, regular phones - smartphones ironically won't accept the settings forwarded by these messages to handsets, so you have to set them yourself. 'smart'phones, heh.

All the OTAPS messages contain are things like server settings, MMSC details, APNs and gateways for GPRS/3G connectivity, etc - network customisation for the phone. Nothing like fixes for hardware bugs or anything like the kinda patches or updates you'd see in an AKU update. On the T-Mobile site, there's a self-service section where you can send your (smart)phone particular settings, but I think they just push wap a CAB file with the appropriate settings to your phone.

Posted · Report post

These messages are SIM update messages... they can be used to update things like your voicemail number (the number actually called whe you press and hold 1) as well as updating your preferred PLMN list... this is the list of preferred foreign networks that T-Mobile would like you to use when you're roaming. These updates work across all the handsets I believe and it's more than likely that it was one of the above types of things that was being updated... as at the time of posting we were approaching the summer (the time most peeps go abroad for their holidays).

Posted (edited) · Report post

Interesting coincidence. I just accidently dialled a voice call to 90273 and I'm sure I heard it ring once before I was able to disconnect the call. Just a few seconds later I got one of these messages from "per" saying "Network message, please delete!". I'm on t-mobile too. Anybody else want to try dialling that number and see if the same happens to them? Go on, I dare ya!

UPDATE: Called the number again and it is t-mobile's voice mail system, and it does send an update message.

Edited by yoda6