Rosetta Stones on WM5.0

Guest SupeZero

Guest SupeZero

Short story:

I've developed program for Windows Mobile 5.0 that can read Rosetta Stones language system (right now its only available for PC). I'm looking for people that are willing to spend some time testing it (see if there are any bugs and most of all bring some suggestions). I'm not doing this for sale. You have to own Rosetta Stone software for PC and also you need to have extra memory card (50-100MB should be ok). If you are interested please drop me a line.

Long story:

If anyone ever tried Rosetta Stone language learning software you have to admit its pretty good. The problem is that everytime I'm at home I can't do it couse my schedule is so freaking tight. Now when I go to work on the subway I have around 1 hour before I get to work, that spare time I want to use to learn spanish. I already "learned" most of the files that are supplied with original CD so the program is only a "player". I've only included 3 modes. 1) Guided tour 2) Guided Tour with test 3) Test. And yes its with the voice like the original. I will make some screenshots and post them here. I own TMobile Dash so for now my program works only with 320x240 screens. I'm looking for suggestions/bug finders. If you are interested in testing it please drop me a line. Software will be free I'm not commercializing anything, you have to own original software copy of Rosetta Stones. My program does not support yet different characters. (yeah yeah I will get there I just have to read about it more)

Guest SupeZero

I'm sorry for such a late reply, I was busy with "real work". I'm trying to implement a testing part (its not that easy) but I think I'll post the link for binary on Friday, stay tuned.

Answering kirbykirbykirby3 question about versioning, Rosetta Stone executable that is installed on the PC is only a "reader", actual files that deliver the "goods" (ie. sound, images, videos) never change (at least from what I saw, as always I might be wrong). So my program should work with any version.

I did few screenshots of the program to show you (yeah doesn't look pretty but its very limited space to move)

Here are some screenshots

This is initial screen, program enumerates all directories in designated path and returns the findings into treeview control. That way if there would be more than one language you could select the one you want.

r_sshot001.JPG

This is actual learning screen, I couldn't do transparency since WM50 doesn't support that so I just drew red rectangle around the image that is being selected.

r_sshot003.JPG

Options screen, I added the sound for convinience, since (for example) not always I remember to take my headphones with me.

r_sshot002.JPG

Guest jbmatson

I'd be interested in trying this out if/when you get it going on portrait (240x320) smartphones.

I have an I-mate SP5 and the Rosetta Stone Spanish software.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cmantis

I too would very much like to try this program out. This is great! I am in the same situation where I really want/need to learn foreign languages but never have the time when home. This would be great to practice on the go! Thanks.

Guest SupeZero

Yes I know, LAME. That's how you can describe me in terms of posting actual binaries. But I still work on the program, I've encounterd lots of problems (besides the usuall work/life related crap)

1. In order to play mp3 files I had to use chunky Windows Media Player API. It was really bad since CPU is already shrinking, displaying images and text so I decided to decompress all mp3 files into WAV files. It's not actually that bad. Spanish Level I is about 90 MB uncompressed. Program performs much faster since I'm using system command to play wav's.

2. Rosetta file encoding, maybe one of you guys out there could direct me into right path? I can't figure out the right encoding (I know its UTF-8, but for some reason the characters are totally messed up) for the files where text is located, right now since I'm using Spanish only I can replace characters but thats not a point here.

Also it would be really cool if anyone would know API for .NET for converting mp3 back to wav, I could only find commercial/trial programs and I'd hate release program where you would have to go after programs like that in order to make everything work.

Thanks in advance

Edited by SupeZero

Guest cmantis
Yes I know, LAME. That's how you can describe me in terms of posting actual binaries. But I still work on the program, I've encounterd lots of problems (besides the usuall work/life related crap)

1. In order to play mp3 files I had to use chunky Windows Media Player API. It was really bad since CPU is already shrinking, displaying images and text so I decided to decompress all mp3 files into WAV files. It's not actually that bad. Spanish Level I is about 90 MB uncompressed. Program performs much faster since I'm using system command to play wav's.

2. Rosetta file encoding, maybe one of you guys out there could direct me into right path? I can't figure out the right encoding (I know its UTF-8, but for some reason the characters are totally messed up) for the files where text is located, right now since I'm using Spanish only I can replace characters but thats not a point here.

Also it would be really cool if anyone would know API for .NET for converting mp3 back to wav, I could only find commercial/trial programs and I'd hate release program where you would have to go after programs like that in order to make everything work.

Thanks in advance

Glad to hear that you are still working on this. I look forward to trying it. Wish I could help you out with the encoding. Hopefully someone here can help get this going. Thanks!

Guest Matth3w
Short story:

I've developed program for Windows Mobile 5.0 that can read Rosetta Stones language system (right now its only available for PC). I'm looking for people that are willing to spend some time testing it (see if there are any bugs and most of all bring some suggestions). I'm not doing this for sale. You have to own Rosetta Stone software for PC and also you need to have extra memory card (50-100MB should be ok). If you are interested please drop me a line.

Long story:

If anyone ever tried Rosetta Stone language learning software you have to admit its pretty good. The problem is that everytime I'm at home I can't do it couse my schedule is so freaking tight. Now when I go to work on the subway I have around 1 hour before I get to work, that spare time I want to use to learn spanish. I already "learned" most of the files that are supplied with original CD so the program is only a "player". I've only included 3 modes. 1) Guided tour 2) Guided Tour with test 3) Test. And yes its with the voice like the original. I will make some screenshots and post them here. I own TMobile Dash so for now my program works only with 320x240 screens. I'm looking for suggestions/bug finders. If you are interested in testing it please drop me a line. Software will be free I'm not commercializing anything, you have to own original software copy of Rosetta Stones. My program does not support yet different characters. (yeah yeah I will get there I just have to read about it more)

If you give me a bit of time, I can do it. I can get the software free because I am in the military. I don't have a card yet though. I have a Blackjack if it will work with that, and I would be using the Persian-Farsi / Dari / Arabic packs (those are the only languages other than English I am currently fluent in).

Guest ggrant007

Short story:

ggrant007 -

Hi I would be interested for definate, I sit on the train to work for ages, I have the spanish rosetta stone for PC, and a orange m3100. Have you opened up a blog to post errors to?? Can you email me a link to the binary.

thanks

Guest SupeZero

Just heads up for all of you who are waiting for Rosetta Stones for WM 5.0 release. Binaries will be posted on Friday May 11th, 2007 :rolleyes:.

Just to give you a little info. There will be in total three programs

1. RosettaStones for Windows Mobile 5.0

Requirements:

- Phone Screen 320x240 (Landscape) - sorry for all thoes who have bigger/smaller/vertical. If there will be interest in the project I will make another versions.

- .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 (You'll have to update your phone if you have lower version, download is free from Microsoft)

- Memory card with at least 100MB (depends really on what language you are learning and how many Levels/units you going to copy)

2. Rosetta Stones Converter

Requirements:

- Windows XP

- .NET Framework 2.0

- Rosetta Stones CD or files somewhere on the hard drive

- ActiveSync (this is needed to copy files between computer and your mobile once conversion is done)

3. Rosetta Stones Translator

Requirements:

- Windows XP SP2, .NET Framework 2.0

Getting RosettaStones files to Windows Mobile is not a "drag and drop" operation. Some files need to be converted (decoded and encoded back to Unicode), and shrinked to "adjust" for lower power processor.

This program creates and updates lang.xml file that contains all the instructions for RosettaStones Converter on how to decode files and what files to copy. Initialy since I only posses Spanish it will only support that version. If you have other languages you can run this utility and see if everything displays correctly. I was trying to do it as simple for user as possible so both translator and converter are "wizard type". I will post manual with it.

I have to wait until Friday because my internet at home is down. The service will be restored on Thursday so I should have everything up and running by Friday.

I never tested this program with any language other than Spanish, languages with different characters than latin might couse some problems... but we should find solutions as we go along.

Thanks

Guest SupeZero

Just heads up for all of you who are waiting for Rosetta Stones for WM 5.0 release. Binaries will be posted on Friday May 11th, 2007 :rolleyes:.

Just to give you a little info. There will be in total three programs

1. RosettaStones for Windows Mobile 5.0

Requirements:

- Phone Screen 320x240 (Landscape) - sorry for all thoes who have bigger/smaller/vertical. If there will be interest in the project I will make another versions.

- .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 (You'll have to update your phone if you have lower version, download is free from Microsoft)

- Memory card with at least 100MB (depends really on what language you are learning and how many Levels/units you going to copy)

2. Rosetta Stones Converter

Requirements:

- Windows XP

- .NET Framework 2.0

- Rosetta Stones CD or files somewhere on the hard drive

- ActiveSync (this is needed to copy files between computer and your mobile once conversion is done)

3. Rosetta Stones Translator

Requirements:

- Windows XP SP2, .NET Framework 2.0

Getting RosettaStones files to Windows Mobile is not a "drag and drop" operation. Some files need to be converted (decoded and encoded back to Unicode), and shrinked to "adjust" for lower power processor.

This program creates and updates lang.xml file that contains all the instructions for RosettaStones Converter on how to decode files and what files to copy. Initialy since I only posses Spanish it will only support that version. If you have other languages you can run this utility and see if everything displays correctly. I was trying to do it as simple for user as possible so both translator and converter are "wizard type". I will post manual with it.

I have to wait until Friday because my internet at home is down. The service will be restored on Thursday so I should have everything up and running by Friday.

I never tested this program with any language other than Spanish, languages with different characters than latin might couse some problems... but we should find solutions as we go along.

Thanks