Rosetta Stones on WM5.0

Guest SupeZero

Guest SupeZero

Just heads up for all of you who are waiting for Rosetta Stones for WM 5.0 release. Binaries will be posted on Friday May 11th, 2007 :rolleyes:.

Just to give you a little info. There will be in total three programs

1. RosettaStones for Windows Mobile 5.0

Requirements:

- Phone Screen 320x240 (Landscape) - sorry for all thoes who have bigger/smaller/vertical. If there will be interest in the project I will make another versions.

- .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 (You'll have to update your phone if you have lower version, download is free from Microsoft)

- Memory card with at least 100MB (depends really on what language you are learning and how many Levels/units you going to copy)

2. Rosetta Stones Converter

Requirements:

- Windows XP

- .NET Framework 2.0

- Rosetta Stones CD or files somewhere on the hard drive

- ActiveSync (this is needed to copy files between computer and your mobile once conversion is done)

3. Rosetta Stones Translator

Requirements:

- Windows XP SP2, .NET Framework 2.0

Getting RosettaStones files to Windows Mobile is not a "drag and drop" operation. Some files need to be converted (decoded and encoded back to Unicode), and shrinked to "adjust" for lower power processor.

This program creates and updates lang.xml file that contains all the instructions for RosettaStones Converter on how to decode files and what files to copy. Initialy since I only posses Spanish it will only support that version. If you have other languages you can run this utility and see if everything displays correctly. I was trying to do it as simple for user as possible so both translator and converter are "wizard type". I will post manual with it.

I have to wait until Friday because my internet at home is down. The service will be restored on Thursday so I should have everything up and running by Friday.

I never tested this program with any language other than Spanish, languages with different characters than latin might couse some problems... but we should find solutions as we go along.

Thanks

Guest SupeZero

Just heads up for all of you who are waiting for Rosetta Stones for WM 5.0 release. Binaries will be posted on Friday May 11th, 2007 :rolleyes: .

Thanks for all your links and help, just to give you a little info. There will be in total three programs (best part you won't need to download any external tools)

1. RosettaStones for Windows Mobile 5.0 - this is actual engine on WM 5.0 that tutors and tests.

Requirements:

- Phone Screen 320x240 (Landscape) - sorry for all thoes who have bigger/smaller/vertical. If there will be interest in the project I will make another versions.

- .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 (You'll have to update your phone if you have lower version, download is free from Microsoft)

- Memory card with at least 100MB (depends really on what language you are learning and how many Levels/units you going to copy)

2. Rosetta Stones Converter - this software "Converts" existsting Rosetta Stones files to the format that can be read by Windows Mobile 5.0

Requirements:

- Windows XP

- .NET Framework 2.0

- ActiveSync (this is needed to copy files between computer and your mobile once conversion is done)

3. Rosetta Stones Translator - this software creates "Instructions" for Rosetta Stones Converter on how to "read and decode" particular language. I will post manual with it.

Requirements:

Getting RosettaStones files to Windows Mobile is not a "drag and drop" operation. Some files need to be converted (decoded and encoded back to Unicode), and shrinked to "adjust" for lower power processor.

This program creates and updates lang.xml file that contains all the instructions for RosettaStones Converter on how to decode files and what files to copy. Initialy since I only posses Spanish it will only support that version. If you have other languages you can run this utility and see if everything displays correctly. I was trying to do it as simple for user as possible so both translator and converter are "wizard type". I will post manual with it.

I have to wait until Friday because my internet at home is down. The service will be restored on Thursday so I should have everything up and running by Friday.

I never tested this program with any language other than Spanish, languages with different characters than latin might couse some problems... but we should find solutions as we go along.

Thanks

Edited by SupeZero

Guest Matth3w
Just heads up for all of you who are waiting for Rosetta Stones for WM 5.0 release. Binaries will be posted on Friday May 11th, 2007 :rolleyes: .

Thanks for all your links and help, just to give you a little info. There will be in total three programs (best part you won't need to download any external tools)

1. RosettaStones for Windows Mobile 5.0 - this is actual engine on WM 5.0 that tutors and tests.

Requirements:

2. Rosetta Stones Converter - this software "Converts" existsting Rosetta Stones files to the format that can be read by Windows Mobile 5.0

Requirements:

- Windows XP

- .NET Framework 2.0

3. Rosetta Stones Translator - this software creates "Instructions" for Rosetta Stones Converter on how to "read and decode" particular language. I will post manual with it.

Requirements:

Thanks

Question...say I have Persian-Farsi...will the directory structure have to be indentical to the CD or what? If you have ever backed up a copy you know how finicky they can be.

Guest cmantis

This is excellent news! Thanks for all your hard work I know it will be appreciated! I can't wait to try this out and maybe learn a new language or two in the process.

Guest SupeZero

Can someone help me figure out Rosetta Stones scoring system? I'm not quite getting it, if any of you guys could take a look at it I would really appriciate it!

Thanks!

Edited by SupeZero

Guest cmantis
Can someone help me figure out Rosetta Stones scoring system? I'm not quite getting it, if any of you guys could take a look at it I would really appriciate it!

Thanks!

The user is offered either text, sound or image (and later, video), to match against four possibilities. With a mark and/or sound chosen by the reader from the preferences menu, the program indicates whether the right or wrong choice was selected. A score from 0 to 100 is kept; it is visible during the exercise in practice mode but not in test mode. The first choice in a group of images nets four points for a correct answer, the second three, the third two and the last one.

Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...
Start the countdown ;) I'm packaging files and doing final tests, tommorow will be the first release!

Would it be possible for me to get a copy of your program as well? I want to learn arabic and I have a motorola Q9C

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest SupeZero

Hello everyone,

Almost two years has gone by and Rosetta Stones still didn't do anything about mobile market, I don't understand but oh well. I will be restarting this project, of course looking for testers. My old website is gone (justanotherdeveloper, didn't had time to keep it updated) so I will use modaco for communication.

I will post new cab in around two weeks form now. PM me if you are instersted in testing.

Cheers!

Guest SupeZero

Looking closer looks like Rosetta Stones v3 is out of the questions (new file format, new encryption) I think we are stuck with v2, but hey, still should be good

• 3 months later...
Short story:

I've developed program for Windows Mobile 5.0 that can read Rosetta Stones language system (right now its only available for PC). I'm looking for people that are willing to spend some time testing it (see if there are any bugs and most of all bring some suggestions). I'm not doing this for sale. You have to own Rosetta Stone software for PC and also you need to have extra memory card (50-100MB should be ok). If you are interested please drop me a line.

Long story:

If anyone ever tried Rosetta Stone language learning software you have to admit its pretty good. The problem is that everytime I'm at home I can't do it couse my schedule is so freaking tight. Now when I go to work on the subway I have around 1 hour before I get to work, that spare time I want to use to learn spanish. I already "learned" most of the files that are supplied with original CD so the program is only a "player". I've only included 3 modes. 1) Guided tour 2) Guided Tour with test 3) Test. And yes its with the voice like the original. I will make some screenshots and post them here. I own TMobile Dash so for now my program works only with 320x240 screens. I'm looking for suggestions/bug finders. If you are interested in testing it please drop me a line. Software will be free I'm not commercializing anything, you have to own original software copy of Rosetta Stones. My program does not support yet different characters. (yeah yeah I will get there I just have to read about it more)

I'm interested =)