Ask me about SMARTPHONES!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
It's about time there was some decent smartphones... there appears there could of been a drought since the C600.

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=146075 - Toshiba G500 for £350 inc VAT ;)

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=145682 - HTC VOX S710 for £280 :D

Please drop your prices... I don't think £200+ on a phone is justified anymore, however I would pay that for a PDA Phone.

On a SIM free phone, that's the going rate, and the pricing of the S710 at £280 is actually pretty impressive!

P

Guest RSkillz

Hi Paul,

It was nice to see the comparison between the QTek 8310 and the new Vox,

I was afraid the Vox was a bit bigger and thicker compared to the 8310, but after seeing

your movie I have to say the Vox will probably be my next phone ;)

How does the screen quality compare to the 8310? Thats one of the best features of the 8310,

it's amazing screen quality and I hope the Vox won't let me down on that part.

I also have the P4350 and I know you also have/had one, which one do you like more?

Guest sisniper

Hi Paul

the vox looks really cool. Just a quick question though

what ratings are on the batteries for these - i really hope the vox is a 1200mAH or higher

Si

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi Paul,

It was nice to see the comparison between the QTek 8310 and the new Vox,

I was afraid the Vox was a bit bigger and thicker compared to the 8310, but after seeing

your movie I have to say the Vox will probably be my next phone ;)

How does the screen quality compare to the 8310? Thats one of the best features of the 8310,

it's amazing screen quality and I hope the Vox won't let me down on that part.

I also have the P4350 and I know you also have/had one, which one do you like more?

The screen on it is awesome... the .2" really makes a difference and it's very bright and sharp!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi Paul

the vox looks really cool. Just a quick question though

what ratings are on the batteries for these - i really hope the vox is a 1200mAH or higher

Si

It's the normal 1050mAh!

P

Guest leftofcentre

Hi Paul thanks for the video review.

I am trying to decide between getting an excaliber or getting the vox.

Which one would you go for?

My main concern would be ease of use of the keyboard, the excaliber one looks a bit cramped.

Also do you think t-mobile will take up the vox?

Would apprecaite your opinion.

Thanks

Brian

Guest psybill

Hi Paul!! Thanks for the video,nice job!!

If you still have in hands the S710, I'd like to try something for me. It may be interesting for non native english people.

First of all, I suppose you have a wwe english rom and you can write only in Engish language with the qwerty keyboard. right?

Is it possible to try the AE Keyboard Mapper and tell me if it works? This app is well known in ppc users and it supoprts up to 4 different keyboard layouts. On their web site, they say that we can try it in smartphone platform and the Vox is the fisrt one with a real qwerty keyboard.

I am from Greece, and having both languages in the qwerty is important for me. Otherwise I have to wait some more for the greek distributor to release the phone..

Thanks in advance

Bill

Guest chucky.egg

Can we have some screenshots of the improved WM6 calendar on the bigger Vox screen please?

I've been a Papyrus user for some time, so does this new calendar match Papyrus (I doubt it really) and just how nice is that big screen?

Also, in due course, can you let us know how the Vox battery lasts - I get about 1.5-2 days out of my SP5 at the moment. Hoping for the same or better.

Guest Paul (MVP)

To be honest, the keyboard on the Excalibur is probably easier to use IMHO, although if that'll change as I get used to the Vox I don't know.

Which would I go for of the two? Vox ;)

P

Hi Paul thanks for the video review.

I am trying to decide between getting an excaliber or getting the vox.

Which one would you go for?

My main concern would be ease of use of the keyboard, the excaliber one looks a bit cramped.

Also do you think t-mobile will take up the vox?

Would apprecaite your opinion.

Thanks

Brian

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi Paul!! Thanks for the video,nice job!!

If you still have in hands the S710, I'd like to try something for me. It may be interesting for non native english people.

First of all, I suppose you have a wwe english rom and you can write only in Engish language with the qwerty keyboard. right?

Is it possible to try the AE Keyboard Mapper and tell me if it works? This app is well known in ppc users and it supoprts up to 4 different keyboard layouts. On their web site, they say that we can try it in smartphone platform and the Vox is the fisrt one with a real qwerty keyboard.

I am from Greece, and having both languages in the qwerty is important for me. Otherwise I have to wait some more for the greek distributor to release the phone..

Thanks in advance

Bill

I'll try and give this a go when I get time...

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Can we have some screenshots of the improved WM6 calendar on the bigger Vox screen please?

I've been a Papyrus user for some time, so does this new calendar match Papyrus (I doubt it really) and just how nice is that big screen?

Also, in due course, can you let us know how the Vox battery lasts - I get about 1.5-2 days out of my SP5 at the moment. Hoping for the same or better.

Yep, will do this in a bit.

The screen is luvverly, and battery life is about on par with my SP5.

P

Guest markdotpeters5

Hi Paul, did you get your Graphite in the end? Got a mate that keeps bending my ear about whether to get it or not and thought i'd wait for your review you see.

Guest Dster

I posted this question on the howard forum, and got no responses. I appreciate any feedback.

When my Blue Angel/SX66 was still working, I often would have it running GPS software, playing mp3s through the car stereo with beta player, and would answer phone calls on speakerphone all at the same time.

Usually it worked fine, crashing maybe 1 out of 10 times a phone call came in (WM2003SE).

Can I expect to be able to multitask like this (except for the crashes, hopefully) with the S710? I plan on getting Copilot for my GPS software.

Edited by Dster

Guest Dster
I've never had a problem with multiple BT devices on a Windows Mobile 5 device (iirc). WM6 should be the same ;)

Not worried about the multiple BT -- the only one will be the GPS receiver. More worried about memory and cpu resources required to play mp3, display GPS mapping info, and answer phone calls all at the same time.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Bear in mind the S710 is the lowly 200MHz TI OMAP 850. Not a problem in general use, but might feel the strain if you load it up with all that...?

P

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I'd say it should be fine. Modern processors are a lot more robust than the older ones. Never had any probs with call management when playing mp3's so the added hit of gps shouldnt be too bad.

Guest chucky.egg

I find that my SP5 (same processor I think) grinds along really slowly if I'm using Route66 (or other satnav) and try to open Contacts (200 people) for example.

I tend to have Messaging, Papyrus running, and when I open R66 and set a route it really struggles to open Contacts - to the point that I generally stop R66, find the contact address, restart R66

Is that a processor or a RAM issue though?

Guest Dster

I guess one way to put my question is whether the 32bit Intel XScale PXA263 running at 400 MHz really outclasses the 32bit Texas Instruments OMAP 850 at 200 MHz. I would hope after 3 years we'd see big improvement: lower clock speed, but way more transistors on the chip and better design.

Also: I hope there is big efficiency/stability improvement from WM2003SE to WM6.

Anybody else out there with GPS multitasking on a smartphone? Copilot smartphone experience?

Edited by Dster

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Mixture of both. The processor intensive applications (like rerouting in a gps) will obviously be cpu limited, and accessing stuff (eg looking up contacts) will be limited by the speed of the memory, which is slower (but persistant) in WM5 devices.

By comparison, the Vox and Excalibur both have an additional 64MB of ROM but the same RAM. They also have the same CPU as the SP5. The Tosh however has a faster (but not necessarily more powerful) cpu.

MP3 playback is a cpu intensive task, gps i would imagine is too (graphics rendering). Combined you're always going to have slowdown. Like i say though i would say the newer devices should be able to cope, more or less ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.