MoDaCo.TV: HTC S710 'Vox' + Toshiba G500 (+ more)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Following up from my 'Ask me about SMARTPHONES' topic, i've posted a short video of the devices with some of their peers.

Check it out... tell me if you love it / hate it... I suspect I don't have another career in Television ;)

P

PS Soapbox is great :(

PPS I've now decided this is the first item in a new 'MoDaCo.TV' feature :D

Video: HTC S710 'Vox' + Toshiba G500 Preview

Guest nickcornaglia

I like the videos Paul...they should be a regular feature on the site!

(And I really like the VOX...if I go back to Smartphones from PPCs....thats the one for me!)

Guest Microsoft

Lovly video!

Edit:

How about some high res photos of the vox?

Does it feel any bulky?

Any cons so far?

Edited by Microsoft

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I admit I wasn't impressed with the Vox until i saw that vid, its REALLY nice, thought it would be a lot more bulky in the flesh. The G500 looks good too, nice features but i think the Vox is a bit more practical. Didn't realise quite how thin the Excalibur was either ;)

Guest nickcornaglia

Side Note....Is Microsoft a microsoft employee?

Imaging a video review of your next phone.

Where one would have the option to read a review...or watch the video....or both.

(More work for you though! ;))

Either way...I think regular vids would be a HUGE hit!

Guest mwright
Following up from my 'Ask me about SMARTPHONES' topic, i've posted a random short video of the devices with some of their peers.

Check it out... tell me if you love it / hate it... I suspect I don't have another career in Television ;)

P

PS Soapbox is great :D

Umm - I get a black box with the message "Sorry, no videos can be found"!

Guest Microsoft
Side Note....Is Microsoft a microsoft employee?

Not really, i just thought it was cool to grab the name when i registred! But now, how to change name?

Hurry up with thoes high res! =)

Guest Paul (MVP)

Good point Tony, hadn't considered the accessibility perspective.

I'm gonna go and eat curry now, but on Monday i'll post a transcript, and be sure to do it in future.

P

Guest Syphon Filter

Paul,

Fantastic addition to the reviewing process I think. The video quality of soapbox is far superior to that of say YouTube et al.

It's great to see devices being held and manipulated by hand and with other devices close by for reference, its much more informative than giving dimensions or even photo comparisons. Sizeasy is great, but I think seeing someone using and holding the devices adds that extra bit of context.

Good work!

Guest tsutton
Is there a tool to let you subtitle a DivX or a WMV?

The only thing I can think of is this as it's a tool that I've seen a few people use to create subtitles for their videos:

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/subtitle_studio.html

I use VobSub to watch movies with a *.sub file, so the text appears as overlay on the movie. This way, you do not have to re-encode the videos you made all over again.

But obviously this is something that I have not used to create subtitles so I'm the wrong person to ask. ;) Perhaps someone here have done it before.

Thanks, Paul.

Guest kiran_mk2

Based on what I've seen of the S710, it looks like my replacement for my trusty C500 will be the S730 3G/HSDPA version. I take it the cameras don't have autofocus - I don't care what resolution a camera is, but if you can't focus it it's surprisingly useless for me.

It's a shame I don't like slider phones cos the G500 looks pretty decent and I've read that Toshiba have included a few extra features when you use the phone in conjunction with a laptop (such acting as a slideshow control).

Guest dm.wood

After having a good run with my Qtek 8310 it was time to look around again and my needs were answered by the excellent video (Nice Work Paul!)

So of I go to dig up all the details of the rather lurvely looking HTC S710.. then dismay hit me when I realised that this unit does not have HSDPA.. :D not even UMTS ;)

Come on HTC its a nice phone compact with good looks, WM 6.0 a thumpad etc etc.. but why stick with GPRS and EDGE?

I guess I will have to wait for the Imate 8150 (If it actually turns out to be the size they claim!) unless there is something else out there that would replace my 8310 that is compact has Wifi and at least normal 3G.

I know this is slightly off track for this post but can anyone make a suggestion as to what could be viable replacment for my Qtek?

Hmm looks like my moans were answered in the post above (nice one HTC) anyone got pics of the s730 ?

Edited by dm.wood

Yeah, I might include at least a short video in all reviews in future.

P

That's would be Great ..Nice video Paul ;) Best pocket pc Site ever :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.