Two speed tweaks reviewed

Guest vwbdrick

Guest vwbdrick

I have recently started my own blog that more of less focuses on the Samsung Blackjack. I have just done an in depth review of two speed tweaks to see if they actually helped or not. If your interested go and check it out at the address below:

http://ricksrrr.blogspot.com

I hope to be of help to everyone here in the future with everything that I have learned about this phone and operating system, as my last phone was a treo 650. I love to tinker with smartphones so keep an eye out on your posts, I will try to help anyone if I can.

Guest mikeeey
I have recently started my own blog that more of less focuses on the Samsung Blackjack. I have just done an in depth review of two speed tweaks to see if they actually helped or not. If your interested go and check it out at the address below:

http://ricksrrr.blogspot.com

I hope to be of help to everyone here in the future with everything that I have learned about this phone and operating system, as my last phone was a treo 650. I love to tinker with smartphones so keep an eye out on your posts, I will try to help anyone if I can.

thanks vwbdrick. these results were actually quite helpful! i was not aware of Omapclock version .04, i only knew of .02.

now when u did the registry hack, what areas did it help in? what areas did it make worse?

i see it helped write and read on the storage card faster?

but it took away some ram?

i wonder if this hack would provide better video recording...

btw, u should also tell the origional value for the second registry edit. just incase people want to change it back.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\ (Change limit from 16384 to 32768)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS (Change CacheSize from 0 to 4096)

i just added the 0 on the second one.

EDIT: i just tried OmapClockPlus .04 and it didnt seem to work on smartphone. well it did, but it was very hard to use, and i couldnt even get it to overclock, i could only set a number. i think it's ment for pocket pc.

EDIT: for anyone who tries omapclockplus .04 and cant delete it cause it's always in use, try an alternative task manager and ending the process, then delete the file. that's what just happened to me

Edited by mikeeey

Guest vwbdrick
thanks vwbdrick. these results were actually quite helpful! i was not aware of Omapclock version .04, i only knew of .02.

now when u did the registry hack, what areas did it help in? what areas did it make worse?

i see it helped write and read on the storage card faster?

but it took away some ram?

i wonder if this hack would provide better video recording...

First off, your welcome! Glad it could help you. The 1.5 Megs of ram that are sacrificed for the cache is really not a problem unless you are constantly using up all your available ram by running multiple programs. The registry hack seems to be the most useful when it comes to accessing the micro sd card as it is a much slower access medium then the built-in ram.

If you are recording video directly onto your micro sd card, then the registry hack should definately help you to some extent. It will allow a bigger buffer for writing and reading information to the card, but I'm not sure as to the extent of the help it would provide. Maybe that is something I should test in the near future. I am quite sure that it will help in video playback off of the card, as I have seen the results myself.

Guest mikeeey
First off, your welcome! Glad it could help you. The 1.5 Megs of ram that are sacrificed for the cache is really not a problem unless you are constantly using up all your available ram by running multiple programs. The registry hack seems to be the most useful when it comes to accessing the micro sd card as it is a much slower access medium then the built-in ram.

If you are recording video directly onto your micro sd card, then the registry hack should definately help you to some extent. It will allow a bigger buffer for writing and reading information to the card, but I'm not sure as to the extent of the help it would provide. Maybe that is something I should test in the near future. I am quite sure that it will help in video playback off of the card, as I have seen the results myself.

well before i go into this about the video i should probably say something i noticed. if you go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS and click on EnableCache, youl see that it's automaticly set to 0. perhaps to make the cache take effect u need to set this value to 1. i just did to be safe.

i cant quite tell if my video is worse or better.. so im charting my results...

so far, with this option on cool camera, i was able to get the audio and video to sync with eachother.

with reg hack

Processor was set to 252mhz

quality was set to record at 80%

max framerate was 12fps, yes (read below)

4:3 aspect ratio

320 x 240 resolution

AVI (MJPG 420)

without reg hack

max framerate was 12fps, no (read below)

320 x 240 resolution

AVI (MJPG 420)

*about the framerate thing... i didnt set it to max, because if u do that it wont sync right. for example... if u tell it to record at 15fps but it can only manage to get 12fps, then it wont sync right. it's a good idea to set it to something that your phone is able to reach, (such as 10 or 12fps).

yes ment it was able to stay synced, no ment it didnt sync.

funny thing tho...without the reg hack, it still seemed to record the same. they both said 12fps and acted the same. but once i played it back the audio and video didnt sync.

could it just be a coicidence? il record some more with the reg hack and see.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest vwbdrick
well before i go into this about the video i should probably say something i noticed. if you go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS and click on EnableCache, youl see that it's automaticly set to 0. perhaps to make the cache take effect u need to set this value to 1. i just did to be safe.

i cant quite tell if my video is worse or better.. so im charting my results...

so far, with this option on cool camera, i was able to get the audio and video to sync with eachother.

with reg hack

max framerate was 12fps, yes (read below)

320 x 240 resolution

AVI (MJPG 420)

without reg hack

max framerate was 12fps, no (read below)

320 x 240 resolution

AVI (MJPG 420)

*about the framerate thing... i didnt set it to max, because if u do that it wont sync right. for example... if u tell it to record at 15fps but it can only manage to get 12fps, then it wont sync right. it's a good idea to set it to something that your phone is able to reach, (such as 10 or 12fps).

yes ment it was able to stay synced, no ment it didnt sync.

funny thing tho...without the reg hack, it still seemed to record the same. they both said 12fps and acted the same. but once i played it back the audio and video didnt sync.

could it just be a coicidence? il record some more with the reg hack and see.

You really went all out on the testing of video recording didn't you? Great! First for your edited post about omapclockplus v0.04, I understand why your having problems getting it to work. On the blackjack's screen the bottom of the window is cut off. How I get it to work is by starting the program, pushing down to set the speed, then pressing back up on the D-pad to get back to the egister button. Once the pogram has it registered, just use the built-in task manager to manually exit the program. For your testing on the video recording, if I understand you correctly, the reg hack helps the recording to stay in sync with the audio when you manually set the framerate. My uneducated guess would be that the extra cache must give the recorder the edge it needs to collect the data fast enough and not lose its sync. I'm very curious as to what else you find out with your continued testing. Thank you for your efforts on this subject. Have fun.

Guest mikeeey
You really went all out on the testing of video recording didn't you? Great! First for your edited post about omapclockplus v0.04, I understand why your having problems getting it to work. On the blackjack's screen the bottom of the window is cut off. How I get it to work is by starting the program, pushing down to set the speed, then pressing back up on the D-pad to get back to the egister button. Once the pogram has it registered, just use the built-in task manager to manually exit the program. For your testing on the video recording, if I understand you correctly, the reg hack helps the recording to stay in sync with the audio when you manually set the framerate. My uneducated guess would be that the extra cache must give the recorder the edge it needs to collect the data fast enough and not lose its sync. I'm very curious as to what else you find out with your continued testing. Thank you for your efforts on this subject. Have fun.

yes that's what it seems like. and id like to believe it's 100% true.

i wonder what else this hack does? we need some more people to try this out and say what it did for them.