May I remove something from my windows folder?

Guest zesci

Guest zesci

Hi guys!

I was wondering (have low storage space on my device) is it possible to delete something from this list?

Me don't have much clue what is for what purpose and my windows folder is more than 60MBs big (iMate SP5)... Here is a list...

;)

listuh0.jpg

Edited by zesci

Guest Disco Stu

The Windows folder is rewritten by the phone's ROM every time you restart.

There would be no point in deleting files which, in any case, can lead to serious problems.

You should look at deleting your Internet Explorer cache though and clear out old messages.

Guest mwright
You should look at deleting your Internet Explorer cache though and clear out old messages.

Yes - I agree. That is probably the major cause of your space problems.

The Windows folder is rewritten by the phone's ROM every time you restart.

There would be no point in deleting files which, in any case, can lead to serious problems.

Hmm - whilst I would agree that deleting files from here can be dangersous - I am not sure I agree with your other comment. I don't think that he \windows directory is rewritten every time you restart the phone. I install all sorts of stuff and quite often files get added to the \windows directory by these installs. If the directory was rewritten each restart surely these files would dissapear?

It does seem, however, that SOME files that appear to be in the \windows directory are actually contained in the ROM and are (somehow) made to appear in the \windows directory. Perhaps this is what you meant.

Edited by mwright

move emails and internet files to your storage card (With a reg hack)

in addition - move any pictures/videos etc... to your storage card and install apps there also. Removing things from the Windows folder - how would you expect the device to function? It's important that you dont remove it otherwise its your fault that the device may not work correctly! ;)

Guest Disco Stu
It does seem, however, that SOME files that appear to be in the \windows directory are actually contained in the ROM and are (somehow) made to appear in the \windows directory. Perhaps this is what you meant.

Exactly.

As Tech points out, removing files from the Windows directory is very dangerous and zesci does admit he's not an expert at this. Although we may add and remove our own files from this location (eg. alerts on Pocket PCs) I wouldn't delete anything that was already there.