Connecting M700 GPS to TomTom

Guest Brownstone

Guest Brownstone

I got my M700 yesterday from the Orange shop in the Metrocentre, and I've tried and tried to run my TomTom 6 on it with no luck. I used a registry editor to 'unhide' the GPS settings icon in the settings menu, but can't figure out what settings I need to use to get it to speak to my TomTom. No matter what I try, I get 'No GPS Device' in TomTom.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

BS...

Guest pugzi

OK, in tomtom, goto Preferences, then go to SHow GPS. Then press configure. Select the "Other NMEA GPS reciever" set baud rate as "4800" and then "GPS in COM9". That should do it. It will take upto 3-5 minutes for the GPS to find itself especially if you are not outdoors

Pugs

Guest Brownstone

Thanks for the reply Pugs. I tried that and left it for 30 mins, but it still says 'No GPS Device'. I remember on my old C550 it used to say that if it wasn't actually connected to the GPS unit, if there was no GPS signal it would say 'No Valid GPS Signal'. This has me baffled. What should I be choosing for the GPS Program Port? I have the COM9 port selected.

Thanks again,

BS...

Guest Neil5459

You need to open the GPS Control Panel setting, and see which hardware port and baud rate are selected in the hardware tab- it should be COM9 and 57600 Baud. TomTom can't use the GPS Program port unless another program has already opened it, so is best set to use the COM9 hardware port.

If you haveln't already, download TTN V6.03 from TomTom (which recognises built-in GPS devices); Now go into the TTN6 settings/GPS config and do one of 2 things- either select Built-in GPS, in which case it should pick up the configs automatically, or select 'Other NMEA GPS Receiver' and select COM9 and 57600 Baud, then Done. TTN ought to pick up the GPS devcie in about 30 seconds, and will get an initial fix (outside) within about 5 minutes

If this doesn't work, then it could be a faulty device.

Guest Brownstone

I have downloaded and installed the update to V6.03, and now have the opportunity to select Built-In GPS in TT. I have tried the settings you mentioned and it still says 'No GPS Device'.

When TT is trying to aquire a signal, does it say 'No Valid GPS Signal', or 'No GPS Device'? I'm sure my old version said 'No Valid GPS Signal'.

Thanks for all your help chaps,

BS...

Guest rekall

Have you enabled the GPS in the settings screen. THere is a reg hack for this. Think its in HKLM\ControlPanel\GPS Settings. Change the hide setting from 1 to 0. THen add another DWORD Group and make that = 2.

Reboot device and try again. More info elsewhere on modaco or xda-dev.

HTH

Guest Neil5459

Brownstone says in his first post that he has 'unhidden' the GPS Control panel. This is only really needed if you want to see which are the default settings, or make some changes. GPS is enabled whatever the 'hidden' state of the control panel.

When TT is trying to aquire a signal, does it say 'No Valid GPS Signal', or 'No GPS Device'? I'm sure my old version said 'No Valid GPS Signal'.

It should definitely say 'No Valid GPS Signal' if the TTN settings are correct. Without a GPS device, as you say, the message is 'No GPS Device'

Sounds suspiciouly like a hardware fault. Mine worked 'out of the box' with no changes to any of the settings. Same for some friends with HTC Trinity and HTC 3600 variants (using Dopod ROM)

Guest HowardB

I picked my M700 up at the weekend and havent got around to buying TomTom yet, but having seen a lot of posts about the GPS on this unit i decided to see if i could get it working.

I did a search and came across VisualGPSce from http://www.visualgps.net/ which I installed on my M700.

I ran the software and selected COM9 running at 4800Baud and after a few minutes I got a fix from inside my house. I had no need to tweek any registry settings etc, just run the software and set the serial port up.

This wont help the OP with his TomTom, but if he tries the above software he can prove his GPS alive and kicking.

Guest Neil5459

Good advice HowardB!

In fact, there is an alternative solution nearer home ;)

Download a trial of Modaco's own Cameraware, the safety camera warning system. This has a trial mode in which the GPS system is tested; you can keep all the settings at 'Auto' and the GPS will be detected if present. After a few minutes, teh number of 'visible' satellites will show in a small panel, followed by the fix status once aquired.

Shame the M700 doesn't have a flashing LED for the GPS system like other devices do :D

It seems the baud rate isn't critical for some apps, but needs to be correct for others. In reality it makes no difference- the actual data transferred would still be OK at 500 Baud, as it's a very small stream.

Guest Brownstone

Thanks for all your help guys, however I'm afraid it still will not work. It just doesn't seem to connect to the GPS hardware in TT or VisualGPSce. I think I'll take a little trip to the Orange shop at the weekend.

Just to clarify, I used a regedit program to 'unhide' the GPS settings icon, installed TT, and the update. Is there any other registry edits needed to actually 'activate' the GPS receiver?

You guys rule,

BS...

Guest Neil5459

Just to clarify, I used a regedit program to 'unhide' the GPS settings icon, installed TT, and the update. Is there any other registry edits needed to actually 'activate' the GPS receiver?

No, the actual GPS hardware just sits waiting for an application to call it, as long as it calls the correct COM port, The GPS Setting control is simply to find out which settigns are in use, and to change them if needed. Beware though that another poster has found that the GPS Program port only seems to work when set to COM8 on the SPV M700.

Good luck with the Orange monkeys- most of them don't even know there is a GPS chip in the device, so you may get some conflicting advice!

Guest john66

It may be worth doing a hard reset. I had a problem with my M700, it said no bluetooth device when trying to pair it with my headset. Orange said I should send the phone back as there must be a fault with it. As I did not want to be without the phone for a few days I rang HTC and although they dont help with Orange branded phones, he said a hard reset may work. IT did.

I also had to do the same last week when trying to get tomtom and CA to work at the same time.

Guest Brownstone

Tried that John, still did work. I then flashed it with a Dopod ROM and guess what, TT and VisualGPSce connected to the GPS hardware straight away and got a signal indoor in under a minute. WTF's that all about? Gonna look into what I need to do with the Dopod ROM to get it to work with Orange.

Thanks for your suggestions guys,

BS...

Guest Neil5459

That's a bummer!

Sounds like one of the very early Orange M700's may have slipped through the net- preproduction and demo examples didn't have GPS enabled, but the release versions all should have been OK.

I don't think the Orange UK ROM is downloadable yet, so you can't reflash it and ask for a replacement that works correctly.

To get the Dopod ROM to work with Orange, you just need to enter all the Orange connection settings- I wrote a guide to the settings Here and I think they are still current!

If you send POP3 email direct from the M700, remember that you need to set the SMTP to Orange, or use the Authentication settings if using your ISP's SMTP.

Guest Brownstone

Thanks for those setting Neil. I read somewhere that there are two areas of memory where ROM files are stored. You can flash the 'live' ROM with anything, and your original ROM is still stored somewhere so you can reflash it at any time. Anyone know anything about this, as I would love to get Oranges ROM back on and get it replaced.

Cheers,

BS...

Guest Brownstone

Actually, just found some info on XDA-Dev about reconstructing a dumped ROM, and found a couple of dumped Orange ROMS. Anyone have any experience with doing this sort of thing? If so, what should I look out for?

Regards,

BS...

Guest Neil5459

For the Orange Specific stuff, you need to look in the Extended ROM (or Ext_ROM). This may have been overwritten by the Dopod ROM, but some ROM images don't have an Ext_ROM. There are registry hacks to 'unhide' the Ext_ROM, or you can use Total Commander, the free File Explorer.

The Ext_ROM contains all the cab files needed to customise the 'Orange' parts of the device. If you still see Orange files in your Ext_Rom, you can just run them (but try and find out what they all do first, as some need to be run in a specific order- look also for the config.txt file, which should specify the installation order). If these fiels are no longer in your Ext_ROM, someone may be able to extract them from their own M700 and send them to you. You can run them from any location and they must install to Main Memory.

These files will include the Orange Today interface, the Orange connection settings, and the Orange PIE Favourites.

Guest Brownstone

Marvelous! Thanks Neil. I'll try that tonight. The thing that will bugger an exchange up for me is the HTC then Dopod boot screens. I wonder if I can get those back to the Orange one.

Again, thanks to everyone for all of your help.

BS...

Guest Paul (MVP)

What do you REALLY want from the Orange ROM tho? The Dopod ROM is much better. You could try 'The Doctor's MoDaCo splash for Trinity, that'll get rid of the HTC and Dopod start screens and replace them with something much more pleasant ;)

P

Guest Brownstone

I'd have no problems using a Modaco start screen once I have a fully functioning device, however I need to get my phone back to its 'out of the box' settings so I can take it back to the Orange shop for an exchange.

BS...

Guest Neil5459

If you've now got a fully functioning device, do you need an exchange? The hardware will be the same, and you've proven that the GPS works OK, so it would be difficult to ask for an exchange on the basis of a non functioning GPS, as they will ask you to open a GPS application to demonstrate.

To be honest, I think you burned your boats when you flashed the ROM, with respect to returning the device; you can't get it back to the 'out of the Orange Box' state without access to an official ROM, which hasn't yet been released (unless you try to get the M700 ROM from the Orange France website, though this also has the GPS enabled, defeating your argument for a return!)

Guest Brownstone
If you've now got a fully functioning device, do you need an exchange?

Yes, as the device did not have it enabled from the off, which, as pointed out, could mean it was a demo or preproduction model. I did not see the guy in the shop open the box in front of me. Gonna mess about with the extended ROM business, which definitely has the Dopod stuff in there now. If someone could furnish me with the contents of their Orange extended ROM I may be able to get an exchange.

Cheers,

BS...

Guest Neil5459
Yes, as the device did not have it enabled from the off, which, as pointed out, could mean it was a demo or preproduction model. I did not see the guy in the shop open the box in front of me. Gonna mess about with the extended ROM business, which definitely has the Dopod stuff in there now. If someone could furnish me with the contents of their Orange extended ROM I may be able to get an exchange.

Cheers,

BS...

.....And here's a copy of my ExtROM in zipped form. Look in the config.txt file to see the order in which to run- the exe file enables the Orange today theme.

ExtRom.zip