Paul (P)Reviews the HTC S710 'Vox'

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest brunob

Hello Paul,

thank you very much for the good review, very professional and complete.

Two questions to you directly, because it seems that you are the only person that has this product already in your hands:

- it is possible to change the language of the o.s. (it should be, almost it was possible in smartphones with WM 5.0)

- it is possible to change the two letters Z and Y on the keyboard (not the logical way, but on a HW level). This because it seems that is impossible to get the German version of this device (and in Germany we have a QWERTZ keyboard layout instead of the normal QWERTY). I hope you still have the device and that you want to test for me (but I understand if you do not want to risk)

Thank you very much in advance.

Bruno

Guest Paul (MVP)
- it is possible to change the language of the o.s. (it should be, almost it was possible in smartphones with WM 5.0)

Yes

- it is possible to change the two letters Z and Y on the keyboard (not the logical way, but on a HW level). This because it seems that is impossible to get the German version of this device (and in Germany we have a QWERTZ keyboard layout instead of the normal QWERTY). I hope you still have the device and that you want to test for me (but I understand if you do not want to risk)

Not easily, but I think it can be done with registry / software hacks.

Unfortunately my preprod Vox has gone back, but I should have a production unit shortly.

P

Guest brunob
Yes

Not easily, but I think it can be done with registry / software hacks.

Unfortunately my preprod Vox has gone back, but I should have a production unit shortly.

P

Thanks,

the question of the keyboard was not on a logical way but on a HW level. I want to exchange the two keys on the keyboard. In the meantime I have read that you have already gave back your unit, so maybe you can remember how the keys are mad (to you THINK that they are removable). By the way: it is not necessary to change the logical keyboard, because changing the language I think that it will also changing the logical keyboard layout (with S620 it works so).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SvenO
Thanks,

the question of the keyboard was not on a logical way but on a HW level. I want to exchange the two keys on the keyboard. In the meantime I have read that you have already gave back your unit, so maybe you can remember how the keys are mad (to you THINK that they are removable). By the way: it is not necessary to change the logical keyboard, because changing the language I think that it will also changing the logical keyboard layout (with S620 it works so).

don't know about the keys but...

...the os language thing is worse than expected: i have the s710 in my hand (390e from expansys) and it has english plus some languages - mainly eastern europeans - but no german (which is what i need, too..). so i guess there's a western and an eastern model - bad luck so far. i don't know how to add a language, but at least for xt9 it is much needed...

i didn't get a reply from expansys yet but yesterday they added a german s710 version "on order"...

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, mine has:

English

Dutch

Czech

Greek

Romanian

Polish

Portugese

Slovak

Turkish

Hungarian

Bet I could add German tho with a bit of fiddling ;)

P

Guest gesam

Hallo Paul I would like to ask you about the S730 from HTC

Is it for real an upcoming device (June or July) which will have the same factor with S710 but

with 3 worth wait -I think- additions?

3G capability :D - Samsung 400 Processor :( - GPS on board ? :)

Or all of these are just rumors?

Thank you !! ;)

Edited by gesam

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

The S730 won't be out for a LONG time, and it is in fact rumoured to have been cancelled (although i don't think it was even ever confirmed as existing!).

The rumours have said though that it does sport those features, apparently ;)

Guest gesam
The S730 won't be out for a LONG time, and it is in fact rumoured to have been cancelled (although i don't think it was even ever confirmed as existing!).

The rumours have said though that it does sport those features, apparently ;)

Dear Monolithix thank you very much for your answer...

So as I understood well there will not be any such model from HTC , with all these features the S710 doesn't have.

Back to S710 do you think is it a good choice to buy?

I am not fanatic with GPS and 3G , but I am concerning very much about the CPU.

Is it enough or it is a slow processor ?

Many Thanks

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

The S710 is fantastic, and theres no reported issues with the CPU speed, some people are even trying to get VoIP working on it ;)

Check out vox.modaco.com for more feedback from current users!

Guest gesam
The S710 is fantastic, and theres no reported issues with the CPU speed, some people are even trying to get VoIP working on it :D

Dear Monolithix you are very helpful to me , for all the information you provided. ;)

Thank you very much again... :(

Guest Joost39
Yeah, mine has:

English

Dutch

Czech

Greek

Romanian

Polish

Portugese

Slovak

Turkish

Hungarian

Bet I could add German tho with a bit of fiddling :D

P

How could I change the languge to Danish? ;) Is it extreme difficult or? :(

Guest kalantz
Yeah, mine has:

English

Dutch

Czech

Greek

Romanian

Polish

Portugese

Slovak

Turkish

Hungarian

Bet I could add German tho with a bit of fiddling ;)

P

Any chance to export the xT9 Greek from S710 and install it on a Toshiba G500?

Guest kalantz
The S710 is fantastic, and theres no reported issues with the CPU speed, some people are even trying to get VoIP working on it ;)

are there any working voip clients for WM5/6 ?

Guest kalantz
VOIP is built in in WM6, see the VOIP thread in the Vox area.

P

and what about WM5?

Tiptalk (Toshiba G500) does not work for with my SIP provider ;)

Edited by kalantz

• 1 month later...
Guest billyb

Regarding processor performance, I tested the Orange version of the S710 yesterday and the only poor performance I noticed was when switching from portrait to landscape which I would painfully slow - much slower than my Wizard, and slow enough to make me doubt the S710 is the replacement I am looking for (unfortunately). Waiting for the screen to re-orientate is very annoying

Edited to add:

The slow change from portrait to landscape may have been exacerbate by what the shop claimed was a "slow SIM"?!

Edited by billyb

Guest Samsonite
The slow change from portrait to landscape may have been exacerbate by what the shop claimed was a "slow SIM"?!

:rolleyes: :P :D

surely thats got to be the start of a new thread entitled 'Best Sales Bull$#1t'

does it folow that phone conversations would be slow too using that SIM?

Guest billyb
:rolleyes: :P :D

surely thats got to be the start of a new thread entitled 'Best Sales Bull$#1t'

does it folow that phone conversations would be slow too using that SIM?

That was my thought too :D He claimed the "slow SIM" provided only limited functionality on the phone in case someone nicked it. I wasn't actually about to buy a phone so I didn't bother pushing him on it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.