Backlight won't turn off!

Guest TDK

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem after running TomTom Mobile 5.21 Smartphone edition for the first time.

Before i installed TomTom i never had this problem.

I have fixed it by changing the HKCU/Power/Display register key to 30 like is posted above.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest francois51

My experience with the V1415 was that I had the backlight staying on all the time AFTER I installed TomTom 5.2. Last night I installed TomTom 6 and now the backlight goes off nicely. I cant access the registry to my phone for some reason so I couldnt change the registry settings. Im still working on activating TT6 proprely at the mo.

Guest francois51
My experience with the V1415 was that I had the backlight staying on all the time AFTER I installed TomTom 5.2. Last night I installed TomTom 6 and now the backlight goes off nicely. I cant access the registry to my phone for some reason so I couldnt change the registry settings. Im still working on activating TT6 proprely at the mo.

Found solution,

I couldnt get to my registry with mobile registry so I installed cab mobile registry (runs directly on the phone itself) and changed the current user Power settings in Control Panel to 15 (15 secs) and works perfectly.

HKCU / Control Panel / Power => values => put 30 for 30 seconds, 60 for 1 mn.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kidinspace

I had sorted this issue out before but last week i had to reinstall Tom Tom because i lost my memory card.

Now everytime i run Tom Tom it changes the power management settings, and i have to keep having to go back and chnage them back again, i can't understand this i have followed all the same instructions as the last time but it would seem to no effect...

Any other suggestions?

.G.

• 10 months later...
Guest dkearns
you have to change a registry key i think it is HKCU/CONTROL PANEL/POWER then values and change it to 30 or 60. this is a knowm bug on vox (see www.smartphonefrance.fr for further info)

Your a star - thanks a million for this solution.

I was pulling my hair out..the little I've left.

This worked perfectly on the HTC s710.

Firstly I installed TCPMP and then saw somewhere that by installing CorePlayer it would solve it but nope!

Both of these will cause the backlight all sorts of problems, no matter how you try to configure the power management settings.

Thanks again.

REALLY REALLY appreciated.

Regards

Damien. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest b29pb

i know this thread has died for quite sometimes but apparently i have a similiar problem.

My backlight wont turn off as well, i did hard reset, format, recently upgraded to wm6.1

changed the Display to 30 still persist. i really am getting frustrated and about to ebay it.

oh, it's a blackjack II /s sgh i617

HELP HELP HELP..

Edited by b29pb

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest tobbbie

Mysterious re-appearing problem identified and eliminated (for HTC Vox, possibly other HTC devices):

I will continue on this thread as it best matches the problem that many are experiencing. While the solution to the "problem" that many applications are creating is outlined in this thread, many will "mysteriously" see the problem reappear again after some time.

Well, the reason is simple: In their infite wisdom, HTC have chosen to replace the default display timeout handling (stored in HKCU\ControlPanel\Power value for Display) that seems MS Standard by a private setting - that allows to have different display timeouts if running on battery or on AC.

Unfortunately calling the settings panel for the power-settings will (by accessing the HTC tooling for manipulating these values) enforce the HTC-handling by deleting the key Display at HKCU\ControlPanel\Power and thus bring back the old problem again!

So what?

Well, luckily HTC has provided a key "OnlyDisplayTimeout" which has to be created in HKLM\Software\HTC\PowerManagement and set to "1" - this will change the HTC panel behavior to the MS intended and it will work on that single value from then on only. You will notice that the Power-settings control panel only has one entry now for Display timeout.

Now all applications that rely on (and manipulate) the standard MS settings for display handling should work as designed (TCPMP, Core Player, TomTom - just to name those that disturbed me...)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest j_p_harrison

Thought I'd try my luck here even though this thread hasn't been active for a while...

The registry edit under the power section fixed the screen stayalive issue, BUT...

It seems to put the screen to sleep semi-permanently. My screen wont wake up when buttons are pressed or the screen is tapped. The only way to wake it up again is to press the sleep/power button (which sends the phone to sleep properly) then to wake it up by pressing the sleep/power button again - the screen is now back on.

I've checked under the control panel-> power settings, and the phone is set to wake up if any buttons are pressed, but no dice, the issue is still there. Did anyone else have this problem?

Help would be great!

Cheers

Guest tobbbie

Which device are you using? The setting I have given is for the HTC VOX and probably for some other HTC made devices. It is surely not working for an Omnia.