E650 and contact list.

Guest Rhinestone

Guest Rhinestone

I have sync'd my contacts (something which I have only have ever needed to do once on my other 2 SPVs) and then I uncheck the sync contacts box in the usual manner so that the contact list does not get sync'd again. Mainly just to cut down on unnecessary overheads and to improve overall sync time.

Unfortunately if this option is then unchecked on the phone, any contacts that have been sync'd to the phone are removed.

So now I have to have at least 1 PC with my phones contact list set in it to sync to the phone. No good for my Vista PC as my Outlook contacts are just that. Outlook mail addresses. No mobile numbers.

Nice one Microsoft!!!!

On my other SPVs I did not get a message stating "To proceed ActiveSync must remove all contacts synchronised to your device using ActiveSync. Select OK to contiunue" when I unchecked the box.

If I uncheck the box on the PC the same thing happens. Contacts get wiped. Strange. I assume a workaround will be available soon but just something I thought I would post up incase anyone else experiences this "feature"

Edited by Rhinestone

Guest Paul (MVP)

Although the 'new way' is inconvenient in your case, it probably makes sense for most people, and it gives a straightforward way to clear contacts off the device.

I can understand wanting to reduce sync time, but I don't really get why you'd want to have contacts in Outlook without their phone numbers? The beauty of WinMo is that they can hold full contact cards, and you have one unified address book everywhere - you don't need to maintain a seperate one for your phone?

P

Guest Rhinestone
Although the 'new way' is inconvenient in your case, it probably makes sense for most people, and it gives a straightforward way to clear contacts off the device.

I can understand wanting to reduce sync time, but I don't really get why you'd want to have contacts in Outlook without their phone numbers? The beauty of WinMo is that they can hold full contact cards, and you have one unified address book everywhere - you don't need to maintain a seperate one for your phone?

P

You are quite right of course and this is something I have been thinking about long before I got this E650. With Outlook I can have a consumate address book that covers everything. whereas in the past I just used Outlook for email addys and my mobile for phone numbers. I need to combine the two and have a one stop shop. Then there is no problem syncing all the time. I was just taken by surprise when my phone no lnoger had my contacts listed after a recent sync.

Getting the E650 has just forced my hand in this respect and I dont have any issues doing things the "new" way round. It just means I should do it sooner rather than later. I thought it prudent to post this up incase someone else who does a this, will see it here and not worry that there is a problem with his new phone.

Its a lovely phone and Im well pleased with it. I was concerned that jumping in and getting one so early would be as bad as my C600 experience (3 replacements and not as easy to unlock as the C500) but after a week this is still a nice phone. I kinda miss the IR and no MSN installed but I used them very infrequently so I dont miss them too much. The wireless more than makes up for the absence of IR.