• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

GPS software advice

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Can anyone recommend a GPS app to use with the Ameo ? I;ve never used GPS so im looking for recommendations, ideally for affordable ones.

Olly

--

Managed online backup services

G2 Support

www.g2support.com/backups

Get a free trial today

www.g2support.com/downloads

Posted (edited) · Report post

depends what you want the GPS for. If it is for fully fledged Driving and sat nav for directions, tomtom 6 works fine, and is certainly cheaper than tomtom5 used to be.

Co-pilot theoretically should work fine.

Map4PDA seems to be working fine on mine, although Google maps doesn't.

I should imagine the others like route 66, destinator and Navigon etc should work fine. Although I have heard that there may be problems with I-go.

for stuff like orienteering and geocahcing (maybe this thing is a little large for taking on that sort of trip) Fugawi and ozi should be ok i suppose.

I personally use tomtom and Map4PDA and both works superbly. Although tomtom is horrendously slow to pick up a fix, whereas Map4PDA picks up in under 30 seconds.

Map4PDA is free by the way.

Edited by rhedgehog

Posted · Report post

depends what you want the GPS for. If it is for fully fledged Driving and sat nav for directions, tomtom 6 works fine, and is certainly cheaper than tomtom5 used to be.

Co-pilot theoretically should work fine.

Map4PDA seems to be working fine on mine, although Google maps doesn't.

I should imagine the others like route 66, destinator and Navigon etc should work fine. Although I have heard that there may be problems with I-go.

for stuff like orienteering and geocahcing (maybe this thing is a little large for taking on that sort of trip) Fugawi and ozi should be ok i suppose.

I personally use tomtom and Map4PDA and both works superbly. Although tomtom is horrendously slow to pick up a fix, whereas Map4PDA picks up in under 30 seconds.

Map4PDA is free by the way.

Map4PDA looks good but puts me in the middle of san francisco, which is somewhere i would love to be, but am no where near.

Does Tom Tom do a version that doesnt require a windows pc to use? I only have osx.

Posted · Report post

Map4PDA looks good but puts me in the middle of san francisco, which is somewhere i would love to be, but am no where near.

Does Tom Tom do a version that doesnt require a windows pc to use? I only have osx.

I've tried practically every GPS program there is. I started with Tomtom and I ended with Tomtom, there is simply nothing better.

I got mine here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOMTOM-NAVIGATOR-6-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

Just take the mini SD, stick it in and let it install, couldn't be easier. Or if you have got access to a PC, I recommend copying it to your Microdrive, it seems to run faster from there

Posted · Report post

Map 4 PDA defaults to the centre of San Francisco when it hasn't got a fix.

Press Menu and then GPS

Tap Search GPS and when that finishes, tap Start GPS.

menu location will tell you when you have a good fix when the long/latt appears at the top.

Then tap menu map and you'll see it zooming in to where you are.

TomTom is good i agree, but i wouldn't say it is the best. Going up to a business meeting it told us to bear right, when actually it meant take this slip road, go round the roundabout and turn onto the fourth exit. Co Pilot is not as easy to use but it seems to pick up a bit quicker. And besides, TomTom isn't exactly quick in Landscape VGA....

Posted · Report post

Map 4 PDA defaults to the centre of San Francisco when it hasn't got a fix.

Press Menu and then GPS

Tap Search GPS and when that finishes, tap Start GPS.

menu location will tell you when you have a good fix when the long/latt appears at the top.

Then tap menu map and you'll see it zooming in to where you are.

TomTom is good i agree, but i wouldn't say it is the best. Going up to a business meeting it told us to bear right, when actually it meant take this slip road, go round the roundabout and turn onto the fourth exit. Co Pilot is not as easy to use but it seems to pick up a bit quicker. And besides, TomTom isn't exactly quick in Landscape VGA....

The Ameo really confuses me when it comes to setting up GPS. Certainly not as simple as my SPV M2000. I am trying to get Microsoft Live Search to work with my Ameo but can't get anywhere where near getting the Centre on GPS function to work. I don't suppose anybody can give me instructions on how to get up the options?

Posted · Report post

i use 3 systems...

tomtom Nevigator 6

igo 2006

memory map 5

tomtom is great, but a prefer the UI in igo, the vocal instructions in igo also seem better to me.

when walking i alway use memory map, it simply cant be beaten, although its not a navigator but more of a electronic OS map with GPS tracking (but its sooo much more) have a looK on their website...

Posted · Report post

I use tomtom navigator 6 as well, also im trying out the new google maps mobile application. It now works with GPS receivers. :rolleyes: