New Orange Data Offerings?

Guest jayz1220

Guest jayz1220

Hey everyone,

I recently saw a blog post on coolsmartphone, which talked about an article that has been published on The Times (Article) on new data bundles. If its been published on "The Times" surely it means they are going to definately offer it, right?

The article speaks for itself, I just hope that Orange tells all off of its CSRs about them this time!

Could this be the reason I have been unable to get anyone at Orange to find the "Orange World Browsing" bundle in the last few weeks? If anyone has heard any other information I'm sure there will be a lot of people interested in hearing about it. ;)

Regards

Jay

Edited by jayz1220

Guest Swampie

Lets just wait and see the T&C's of the deals first... Notice the word 'simplify' in the article... when Orange says that, there's always a big catch!

Edited by Swampie

Guest jayz1220

I just gave Orange a call and asked about the "new" data bundles that were published on The Times website. The lady said that she had received a note on her system informing her of some new bundles that were due for the end of May and others Q4 2007. Unfortunately, she said that the £8 Anytime unlimited data bundle was due for Q4 2007 ;).

I did ask if there was an official press release/T&C stating this information, but she said that all she had received was a note on their internal systems. I might try sending an email in to get confirmation of this date later, I just hope she was wrong!

Anyone else had a chat with Orange recently and been told the same thing?

Edited by jayz1220

Guest mr_end

This sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. I live in an area where Tmob reception is non existant. I look forward to seeing confirmation or a press release on the O website ;)

Guest shadamehr

Slight variation on a post I made over in Modaco itself, on a similar subject to this...

Alas, with Orange, it's too little, too late for me.

To be fair, that's not entirely correct - it might not be too little (though at 50p more than the WnW offering, technically it IS still 'too little' anyway), but it's certainly too late.

And to contrast some of the defence based posts of Orange (which I am genuinely pleased for you, if yours is better coverage etc), I too find that T-Mobile:

1) Offer much better CS - by far.

2) Offer better coverage for me - including blazing HSDPA

3) Offer a good range of devices, despite what one comment alleges.

And just to be clear, as someone with my main voice call contract still with O2, a Flext 35 + WnW contract with T-Mobile with 25% off BOTH elements for life, used mainly for my data and leisure, and an Orange old 3000 texts a month contract for our lass for her incessant texting, I KNOW all about each Network - I am NOT a biased user of just one particular Net, to the unfair criticism of another.

The old adage rings true - the worst Operator is whatever one you just jumped ship from, the best is always the new one you just signed up with, until you jump ship from them in the future" *lol*

Nah, Having a good Flext deal, having the ORIGINAL unlimited WnW without the extra restrictions, and having BOTH elements with 25% off for life due to when I signed up, coupled with a Vario 2, excellent coverage with HSDPA, and good customer service, what else could I ask for - a cherry on the top???

Orange, you really are too little, too late, for all but those that have to rely on you exclusively for coverage where they live, is my humblest of UNBIASED opinions!

• 1 month later...
Guest jayz1220

Just to update,

I got a call from Orange's executive office this morning with regards to the data bundle issue. The lady explained that orange had released the £8 per month bundle, but it was only for 30mb, useless!.

She explained that there maybe a future bundle to compete with Tmobile, but for now this is all we are going to get. I told her what I thought of Orange (wasnt pleasant) and hung up.

Anyway, seems like orange are just trying to push us away to Tmobile.

Anyone managed to get the old Browsing bundle applied recently?

Regards

Jay

Guest darrengf

See I ckeep Telling people on the forums what Orange are doing and upto.

Customer care is gone down the pan

Call charges are more expenive

Network isnt the best as it used to be (Ive noticed that)

Roaming is now dearer under the new system thatn the old system that cost per min was dearer but you were charged per the second.

1 p sms reports

wap is unlimited (Sorry 30mb is your limit)

Orange lost lots and lots of customers so its up to you.

Only you can make the choice.

t-mobile, 02 and 3 all offer better value than orange.

Ok o2 arnt brill on data, but for me, using my sms bundle abroad is fantastic. No more charges for sms (Unless i go over), phones arnt locked or heavly branded, gr8 customer care, good strong network (Ok 3g isnt brilll) I can use my sms bundle to send a mms.

3 have drastic improved, offer gr8 deals and value for money

t-mobile offer gr8 wnw deals (no other current network beats it and flex t is superb. Gr8 customer care too.

Sorry cant really say anything about voda, in my eyes. Customer care is below average, when you come to a upgrade forget it, network is strong tho, Other wise than that ermmmmm not sure.

Any way its up to you

Guest witchnut

When I opened the box of my new SPV E650 there was an offer of unlimited evening and weekend browsing from Orange, free for 2 months and £5/mon thereafter, subject to fair use policy. Just a case of calling 150 to get it added.

This is probably going to suit me, As I'm mostly near a desktop/laptop with internet access or Wi-Fi during working day. I might want to get a couple of anytime Mb/mon added if it isn't too expensive. With the E650 so much more convenient to browse the internet than my previous C600 I should know by the end of the 2 months whether this is what I need.

Anyone else trying it? hows it working out?

Matt

Guest jayz1220
When I opened the box of my new SPV E650 there was an offer of unlimited evening and weekend browsing from Orange, free for 2 months and £5/mon thereafter, subject to fair use policy. Just a case of calling 150 to get it added.

This is probably going to suit me, As I'm mostly near a desktop/laptop with internet access or Wi-Fi during working day. I might want to get a couple of anytime Mb/mon added if it isn't too expensive. With the E650 so much more convenient to browse the internet than my previous C600 I should know by the end of the 2 months whether this is what I need.

Anyone else trying it? hows it working out?

Matt

Matt I previously asked the representitve at Orange if I could have both the Anytime (30mb) bundle and Evening and Weekend bundle added to my account, so at least the evening/weekend would be unlimited. I was told that the system would only allow one data bundle added to an account at any one time.

If you are able to do this, please reply as it may provide some improvement on Orange's data service for those of us whom have to stay with Orange for that little bit longer.

Regards

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mr_end

Has anyone noticed that the data bundles have been taken off the new customer sign up pages of orange.co.uk?? Can we expect some sort of announcement soon? Would be nice to get official confirmation on release dates/size limits etc!

Guest darrengf

As far as i can gather, they arnt revaming them, but no one knows why they have been removed.

I think they may be rewording them with different names. Like Crap bundle etc. lol

Guest pjheliking
They are probably jusyt to ashamed of them to put them on their website....

they are planning of releasing unlimited data subject to fair usage really soon but i think its something like 30mbs per day wich for me its more that enough. there has been some problems though the techies are somehow finding it hard to apply this for use within consumer markets. And soon it will be free to browse through orange wap home but again somehow difficulties.

Guest Confucious

They released new packages at the start of the and the one people 'thought' was unlimited is capped at 30Mb per MONTH - which is laughable. 30Mb a day is reasonable but I think you have mis-understood their plans....

Guest pjheliking
They released new packages at the start of the and the one people 'thought' was unlimited is capped at 30Mb per MONTH - which is laughable. 30Mb a day is reasonable but I think you have mis-understood their plans....

i work for orange and at their latest roadshow thats where i found out this information. oh and they are changing the name off orange world to emergency sunrise dont know why but they are.

Edited by pjheliking

Guest Confucious

I hope you're right but sometimes they don't seem to train their staff to well...

The 30Mb/month data for anytime usage was only introduced at the start of this month - maybe thay have listened to what people thought of it! 30Mb/day seems a bit strange as people are billed monthly, 1Gb /month sounnds so much more but 30Mb/day would be enough for most people (provided they are not using their phone as a modem / for streaming etc - I've jut increased my T-Mob plan from the 1Gb to the 3Gb package .

As for Emergency Sunrise - it makes as much sense as all their other names....

Guest pjheliking
I hope you're right but sometimes they don't seem to train their staff to well...

The 30Mb/month data for anytime usage was only introduced at the start of this month - maybe thay have listened to what people thought of it! 30Mb/day seems a bit strange as people are billed monthly, 1Gb /month sounnds so much more but 30Mb/day would be enough for most people (provided they are not using their phone as a modem / for streaming etc - I've jut increased my T-Mob plan from the 1Gb to the 3Gb package .

As for Emergency Sunrise - it makes as much sense as all their other names....

i double checked today. ye i didnt get trained well but i take time to go through the company intranet. even tho paym cust get charged monthly things like ow get refreshed every twentyfour hours so if u went over 30mb in a twenty four hour period it wud easily be charged to your account. yeah emergency sunrise that is oe weird name dunno why they cant keep it simple.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Griff_FFOC

After logging into my Orange account, and clicking "Manage my bundles", the options available for me to set myself without ringing CS are:

Mbs per month / cost per month

none / £0.00

OW Daily Capped Usage / £0.00

Unlimited Evening & Weekend Browsing / £5.00

30 / £8.00

80 / £41.13

So I guess these are some (if not all) of the options available. Although as this seems to sugges, the 30 and 80 are mb per month and not per day. I also can't find out the details of the daily capped option.

Guest Confucious

The 30Mb does appear to be per Month, pjheliking is the only person that has suggested that it is per day - can he confirm whether it is daily or monthly as he works for them? everyone else believes it to be per month but it could just be very poor info from Orange.

The daily capped rate has to be requested each day on Orange (unlike T) via either phone or text and is £1/day

Guest shadamehr

Ha - Orange Data Offerings - don't make me laugh.

As a user with a number of accounts and contracts, with various networks, for both me and my other half, I decided recently that it was time to start 'consolidating' a little bit, and closing some of them down.

So let me tell you my tale.

In terms of the other half, her accounts are as follows:

1) Orange archived Text Only Package, £20 per month, for 3000 texts (limit, not a fair use figure), with no voice minutes - used as her main phone as she texts so much.

2) T-mobile Flext 35 with Web n Walk, for voice calls, and internet browsing all day, with 25% discount off.

3) O2 Online 500 tariff, with 200 minutes, and 500 texts a month, for £30, but she currently gets it for £20 (well me actually as it's in my name. Which she uses as her business phone.

What I ended up doing for her, is having a THREE MONTH fight with Orange and Customer Resolutions Dept., to allow her (me) to change her archive text only deal, to a standard Dolphin £35 tariff - 500 minutes, 3000 texts (fair use cap). And even then, after three months of fighting and faxing and writing, they still screwed up, as they were MEANT to match the Orange direct deal of 600 minutes instead, but when the tariff was finally changed, they didn't. Thanks Orange.

So this just left her T-Mobile and O2 packages - the O2 one being out of contract in a week's time, and the T-Mobile one in less than a month - so either or both can be scrapped, ported or whatever.

And what I plan on doing with these is cancelling the O2 account, and PAC coding her O2 number, over onto T-Mobile. This is because she now can use her Orange main phone for voice calls too, so she doesn't need her T-Mobile for that anymore - so she will just port her business number onto the existing account. Then she can use Orange for text and normal voice, T-Mobile for Business Voice and text, and use the same T-Mobile account for her Unlimited Internet a la Web n Walk.

This is because Orange still have NOTHING to offer, to allow her to 'consolidate' as you will see from the tale of MY own accounts next:

Right, now that her accounts are sorted, time to turn attention to my own.

I'm a bit more straightforward in that I only have TWO accounts, to her three (which are in my name anyway *lol*)

I have:

1) O2 Online £35, with 750 minutes and 750 or a 1000 texts, can't remember which, but discounted to £28 a month at present (bear in mind from dealing with this for many family members though, O2 Online have not been offering any good retention deals lately - in fact, if you take out a new handset upgrade, for three of my family members, they have said this will mean they will lose the existing line rental discount they currently have).

2) T-Mobile Flext 30 + W n W with 25% off both elements.

I use my O2 as my main line for all things, but utilise the T-Mobile one solely for data only, web, email, and blogging, for the last 18 months, so the inclusive allowance of calls and texts has all but been wasted - a situation I am obviously keen to resolve.

So I went round the Metrocentre last week, to ALL the networks, and even rang a number of independents.

And this is what we found:

Orange Direct

Can do me a Dolphin £35 tariff to add to my existing account as used by partner, mentioned above, with 500 minutes, and 3000 texts.

Problem here? Data... Get this, the Store Supervisor didn't even know of the existence of any Data Bundle for Consumers, as poor as it happens to be already with the mooted 30MB limit a month. He was adamant that there was no such thing, and there was NO data offering I could have other than getting a data card and business account. I explained loudly to him what actually was available, but would he hell have it.

So my problem with Orange was twofold... it offered the best value calls and texts package of any net at the price point I was looking for, but did not allow me the opportunity to add a Data bundle like WnW, or even if I could get past the thick supervisor, the 30Mb a month limit is all but useless to me.

So in short, Orange literally did rule themselves right out of the game from the off, because of still not having a decent data bundle offering like T-Mobile. Let's remember here, i am not splitting hairs, my whole intention here is to start CONSOLIDATING accounts and packages, so no point at all going to Orange, with the best Voice and Text deal, if I still have to keep my other accounts open.

Orange Independents

Same as above for Orange, but with the added bonus of either a free gift such as X-Box 360, or HALF PRICE line rental on a basic handset, on Orange Dolphin £35 - May I suggest you check out the Modaco Shop for some GREAT offers, if this package appeals to you.

Again, this was a none-starter right from the off however, as it STILL means I can't CONSOLIDATE thanks to no proper data bundle. Now do you see where I am going with this... that Orange, even with the best base tariffs by far now, in Dolphin £35, still completely rule out a large number of people right from the outset, by not having a data bundle, which means they need to have two accounts otherwise.

O2 Retentions

Tried to offer me a basic tariff deal loosely approaching Orange's Dolphin 35, but still could not offer the same amount of texts.

Additionally, what was curious, was that he told me O2 offer 75MB data for £10 a month, which I did not know, and none of us on here seem to be aware of, as it's better than Orange, but costs slightly more, but he did say he could add this by doing an offset against my line rental, to bring the net cost of the bundle down to the same as WnW.

So O2 actually looked a bit better than I thought, but still not ideal, in that for the same money going out each month, I could manage roughly 750 minutes, 1000 texts, and 75MB of data.

With Orange, it would be 500 mins, 3000 texts, and 30Mb Data.

So O2 still were not good enough for me, as 75MB is no use to me. 1GB may be loads more than I need, but I have proved regular in the past that I do however still go over 100MB certain months.

Finally, T-Mobile.

Now admittedly, this one is only an option for me because of my 25% off both tariff and WnW for life, because of when I joined T-Mobile, thus bringing the cost of something like Flext 50 + WnW down to just £43 instead of £57.50, and thus actually cheaper than the prices quoted for packages with Orange and O2 mentioned above. For others, this might be a none-starter due to the package cost, but for many of us that joined T-Mobile when we did, we get a loyalty discount.

So with T-Mobile, I can change my existing Flext 30 + Wnw for which I hardly use the tariff element, up to Flext 50. This will then mean I can make around 200 minutes of calls, (Which is actually probably more than enough, it's just that Orange and O2 lump high minutes in with high texts on their packages, so I don' have a choice), and around 2400 texts, which should be enough for me, high texter that I am.

I will also of course, have my WnW, which as one of the ORIGINAL customers, does not have the conditions the later versions of it do, in terms of restrictions.

All of this, for a grand total, after discount, of just £43 a month!

And this is exactly what I am going to do. Port my main number over to T-Mobile, and uprate my tariff.

And as my minimum contract term on this account ends 3rd August, the nice girl in retentions has assured me the Evening and Weekend Calls offer has been extended until end of August instead of end of July as it was meant to end, so that when I upgrade, I can have most handsets free, including (promised and noted) an N95, to give an idea of the price, and when I upgrade in August, I will have free evening and weekend calls for life, added to my account. So the value of it just increased more again! All without losing my 25% discount, and this has been added to the notes in case of any issues later when upgrading.

So Orange lose out, because of lack of decent Data Bundles.

And let me clarify something for you... I am aware that this scenario only applies to me, in that I have a 25% discount with T-Mobile.

HOWEVER, even Vodafone now, are better than Orange, as they too offer 500 minutes and 3000 texts a month for £35 just like Orange do, OR they offer 750 minutes and 3000 texts for £40, if that suits you better.

BUT... Vodafone's new Internet Bundle is somewhat better than the one Orange are meant to have. In that it is £7.50 a month, not £8 as Orange's is meant to be. And it's a higher data allowance of 100MB (or was it 75MB - either way, better than Orange's measly 30MB). Additionally, it includes things like Google Maps, eBay, Messenger etc as standard, supposedly.

So Vodafone, item for item, pound for pound, offer a better package exactly, than Orange do.

Moral of this really long discourse...?

Had Orange saw the sense to bring out a true unlimited (or even obviously 1GB fair use cap) data package for around £8 a month, akin to T-Mobile and their WnW package, then Orange would have carved up, sliced, diced, and cubed, the entire UK mobile phone market, at around the £35-£45 per month price point.

Not a thing could touch it (with one caveat - MMS is not an inclusive element of Orange packages, so you would either pay a charge for these, or have to add a Photo Bundle).

But it would be as close to Heaven as it would get, for a lot of us sort. But by NOT offering a realistic data bundle, they have made many people CONTINUE to go elsewhere, or even STAY elsewhere as in the case of those of us who jumped ship to WnW when it came out.

Well done Orange on such a spectacular failing, right at the last hurdle of the race.

And here's to another wonderful 18 month period with T-Mobile, as truth be told, I'm not gloating becasue I am simply going over to them... I am an EXISTING happy customer.

Edited by shadamehr

Guest shadamehr

Right,

Since user "Spook" flagged up a potential issue I might expect, (thanks for spotting it mate) I checked again with T-Mobile...

I've spent half the afternoon on the phone to various different departments within T-Mobile... I don't know, 16 months of untroubled customer service, then this happens.

Long and the short of it is that I CANNOT have both 25% off, and free evening and weekend calls as previously suggested.

But worse, my Number port that I had arranged because of this deal/promise has indeed now passed the point of no return, and my previous O2 number is now gone, and heading over to T-Mobile without a way of stopping it now.

So my complaint email about this broken promise is now in the hands of T-Mobile, to see what comes, but it doesn't look good.

Brilliant eh.

This just goes to show you how true it relates to the original thread - that Orange not offering a decent data pack, is killing us... As otherwise I would be straight to the courts with T-Mobile, and straight off to Orange with my existing number.

But my problem is that even if I win back my number, which I probably will, and win some damages, what then..? I am still back to the awkward position of Orange offering me a GREAT voice and text deal, but my costs are likely to rocket due to high data usage, and MMS.

Conversely, stay with T-Mobile and see my Data Costs fine, but the potential for bills if I use too many texts.

I tell you folks, Orange could have KILLED the competition for good, if they had a decent data offering.

So thanks for flagging this up Spook - you have been as much help to me back as I was to you, so I am grateful.

At least I can keep my 25% and Upgrade to new handset, as that bit IS recorded in my notes.

But the deal is not nearly as good as first outlined - it's just that it's sadly, probably the best that is available, given Orange's position on Data Access.

Guest Confucious

Over 2000 texts a month seems rather a lot (or is it just me?) If they are between you and your wife have you thought about using push email instead as you both now have effectively unlimited data. This, of course, doesn't help if the texts are to other people.

Guest shadamehr
Over 2000 texts a month seems rather a lot (or is it just me?) If they are between you and your wife have you thought about using push email instead as you both now have effectively unlimited data. This, of course, doesn't help if the texts are to other people.

Ha, alas mate no - it stems from the job role/occupation, as typified by my avatar...

I am a Senior Door Supervisor (Bouncer), so send literally hundreds and hundreds of texts on the door 'discreetly' whilst at work, where clearly I can't make calls.

This is to various people, and for various purposes, including work.

And in fairness, until recently, I thought the 1000 texts I get with O2 a month were enough, but since a promotion in the job, I have been going steadily over these.

I am hopeful however, that 2000 a month is enough with Flext 50. Problem with that though is it means only 240 or so minutes of calls a month, whereas now my tariff includes 750 - I am not sure how many I actually use though, so hopefully 240 will be enough.

*lol*

Guest Confucious

I'm lucky, I use a LOT of data but Flext35 gives me more texts and data than I'll ever use so that plus W'n'W plus = £47.50 - less 23% costs me £35.63 for all my needs :) I'm very happy with T-Mob, but I'm not an Ubber texter like u. Hopefully you'll find Flext50 enough.

Good luck.