Sprite Software release 'Sprite Mobile Swipe'

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Chances are if you're a Windows Mobile users, you've come across Sprite Backup. It's the acknowledged leader in the Windows Mobile device backup field, and I personally can't recommend it highly enough. It's packed full of features and works flawlessly (it's also a MoDaCo Plus benefit) :P To be honest, you wouldn't expect anything less from the team that created the famed 'Ghost' software would you?

thumb_01-Jun-2007_sprite.jpg

Well, on the back of the success of Sprite Backup, Sprite Software have added a new application to their portfolio, 'Sprite Mobile Swipe', for Windows Mobile 5 / 6 based Smartphones and Pocket PCs (Standard / Professional).

Aside from having a name that makes me think of 'Dora the Explorer' (others with small children will understand :D ), 'Sprite Mobile Swipe' is an application that caters for what is the nightmare scenario for many Windows Mobile users. You're out in town, you go to grab your device from your pocket and it's gone! With mobile devices carrying more and more information that we wouldn't want in the hands of complete strangers, the 'device loss' situation becomes critical... and this is where 'Sprite Mobile Swipe' steps in.

"The software works on any Windows Mobile phone and once installed, hides away in the background until activated when required. If a phone is lost, owners just need to send an SMS messge to their phone from a paired phone to lock down the phone so that a password is required to access the data. For additional peace of mind a wipe command can be sent which clears the entire contents of their phone – including memory cards. This can be used to decommision phones before passing them to friends or colleagues. If a phone is stolen, and the thief replaces the SIM card, Sprite Mobile Swipe detects this and informs the owner via a SMS message to the previously partnered phone so that the phone can be locked or wiped. Another option is to remotely query the phone for recent call activity as this may help track down the phone."

'Sprite Mobile Swipe' clearly goes far beyond what is offered by the standard Exchange tools, with full wipe for memory cards being a very useful feature, not to mention the ability to query the phone to track down the perpetrator. I particularly like the SIM swap notification... you could be notified that your phone is gone before you realise yourself! :rolleyes:

I have paired my phone with my wife's phone, so since we are always in contact and often together, if my device goes AWOL I can just send a text from her phone and take the necessary action.

All in all, I have to give top marks to Sprite for the application. It's fully featured, works well, and best of all it's CHEAP! RRP is $14.95, reduced to $9.95 for the month of June as a launch promotion, and MoDaCo readers can use a special discount coupon until 4th June (discount code 'JUNE1') to get the application for $7.50... that's less than £4 for peace of mind.

Head on over to the 'Sprite Mobile Swipe' store page to get your copy! A free trial is available, and a money-back guarantee is also offered.

I can imagine 'Sprite Mobile Swipe' doing even more in the future... I'm going to submit it as a feature suggestion to Sprite, but how cool would it be if the application did an encrypted backup via Sprite Backup before self destructing. Then if you DID get your phone back (or found it down the back of the sofa :D ), you wouldn't have to start from scratch!

P

post-1-1180701090_thumb.jpg post-1-1180701096_thumb.jpg post-1-1180701102_thumb.jpg

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Hmm interesting concept and the ability to wipe a lost device is something i've wanted for a while (ever since my trusty C550 got swiped a few years back, bastards).

Only problem i see though is surely the first thing a thief would do is turn your device off? Obviously not as much a problem if you've only left it on the bus or something...

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hmm interesting concept and the ability to wipe a lost device is something i've wanted for a while (ever since my trusty C550 got swiped a few years back, bastards).

Only problem i see though is surely the first thing a thief would do is turn your device off? Obviously not as much a problem if you've only left it on the bus or something...

Sure, but they've got to turn it back on at some point right? And unless they've hard reset, Sprite Mobile Swipe will still be on there.

At that point, it will either receive your SMS and wipe itself, or notice a SIM change and lock itself... all good.

I plan to cook this into my Trinity ROM so there is no way around even with a hard reset :rolleyes:

P

Guest soup dragon
I plan to cook this into my Trinity ROM so there is no way around even with a hard reset :P

Great idea........... I need to look into how to do that, but it may be a bit beyond me :rolleyes:

Bought a copy anyway as it seems like a great app at an equally great price.

Guest Swampie

Price is actually $7.50 after discount, not $7.95, an extra saving of 49c!

Sub-Total: $9.95

Free Shipping:$0.00

Discount Coupon: JUNE1 :-$2.45

Total: $7.50

Guest mcwarre

Nice software; until it is burned into the rom (or extended rom) then it is wiped by a hard reset.

Ultimate theft alert 3 can be put into the extended rom albeit it is $13.99 ish.

Guest Swampie
Nice software; until it is burned into the rom (or extended rom) then it is wiped by a hard reset.

But that assumes that the thief knows how to hard reset a specific device, and to do it before they turn it on. Which in 99% of thefts, is probably unlikely.

Guest mcwarre
But that assumes that the thief knows how to hard reset a specific device, and to do it before they turn it on. Which in 99% of thefts, is probably unlikely.

WM devices are becoming quite widespread now. And so is Google.... :rolleyes: :P

Guest dannybgoode

Hi

New here - just awaiting delivery of my Orange e650 (although having read some of the rants about Orange I don't know whether I should have ditched them when I had the chance but hey ho) and this site looks very useful.

Looks a nice pice of software - have just had a look on the sprite site and they don't have the e650 listed yet. Wat version would I go for?

Thanks

Danny B

Guest JamieDow

Only lists one version, judging by the pics I would assume this to work.

No chance of this ending up as a Plus partner product? :rolleyes:

Not that it matters, i'll buy a copy as I think this is perfect for what i've been looking for.

Edited by JamieDow

Guest Swampie

WM devices are becoming quite widespread now. And so is Google.... :rolleyes: :P

But how many thieves would actually think of doing anything more than just removing the SIM after nicking a handset? I bet some don't even think of doing that! To actually know that the first thing they need to do is turn off the device, remove the SIM, find out the model of the phone, go onto Google, search for how to hard reset it, and then perform the hard reset. I'm not saying that some people wouldn't know that, or be aware of such things, but that they are most likely the minority. In fact, I bet WM devices aren't the most popular for thieves. They'd want the ones which a very popular and very easy to pass on/sell etc, the RAZRs and the like.

Guest soup dragon

You may be interested in my experience yesterday:

I bought Sprite mobile Swipe last week for my HTC Hermes (running WM6) as it seems like a great product.

I installed it but did not add the activation code as I had not recieved it at that point.

I could not see anywhere to add the code after installation so I decided to let it run in evaluation mode for the 7 day trial presuming it would then prompt me for the activation code.

My problem is that yesterday exactly 7 days after installation my phone reset on its own and now does not boot, getting stuck on the WM6 boot screen.

I looks as though I'm going to have to hard reset my phone to get it to work again.

:rolleyes:

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's odd, and nothing like my experience.

Have you spoken to Sprite? I find it very unlikely the trial expiry would result in the device stopping on the boot screen!

Can you activesync at that point?

P

Guest soup dragon
That's odd, and nothing like my experience.

Have you spoken to Sprite? I find it very unlikely the trial expiry would result in the device stopping on the boot screen!

Can you activesync at that point?

P

Hi Paul,

I've sent them a support question and will see what they come back with.

It does seem odd, but the phone has never done this before although it has become unresponsive when plugged into the charger recently. This happened while it was in my jacket pocket pretty much 7 days to the hour after I installed Mobile Swipe.

Activesync would not connect to the phone so I've had to hard reset and am going to flash with a new ROM while I'm at it.

Maybe Mobile Swipe has a problem with WM6? I was surprised that it was not possible to enter the activation code during the evaluation period. :rolleyes:

Guest soup dragon
I'm using it with WM6, and I know Sprite have done thorough testing with WM6.

P

Most odd........well new ROM installed so we'll see what happens this time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.