SPV E650 de-Brand + Fix Pack 0.5

Guest PaulOBrien

This is a fine piece of work. Sadly, it stops one of my main apps from working correctly: Memory Map 5. The Pocket Navigator displays only a little of its GPS navigation page.

Of course, this could possibly be because Memory Map itself is not up to date for Windows Mobile 6. Still the app works fine when the E650 is back to factory settings.

So it's back to the original Orange stuff for me, more's the pity.

Could you elaborate? What exactly isn't working?

P

Gladly. Memory Map 5 Pocket Navigator on Smartphone offers 3 'pages', that is, alternate display screens. One is the map, one shows GPS data (position, speed, course, etc), and the third is called 'Goto navigation'. This third page should display four boxes on a wallpaper-like background. The boxes show Bearing, Distance, Angle and X-track and are updated with numbers as you move.

When your pack was installed, this page displayed only part of one box, not fully drawn, none of the other 3 boxes, and no 'wallpaper'. So it's some kind of drawing problem.

Hmmm, that IS weird!

Not really sure what could be causing that TBH...

P

Well now - I went through the whole process again - hard reset, install prep pack and main pack, restart, then install my apps. Guess what - this time Memory Map came up displaying correctly. So the earlier problem was one of those inexplicable glitches. Sorry to have raised it - I ought to know better, having been developing software myself for 15 years. (Test, test, and test again - the developer's mantra.)

Thanks again for the fine work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest bathsponge
It's held in the registry, at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs\home

P

Hi Paul

Could you tell me if theres any DUN fixes as i cant get my E650 to connect to my TOMTOM 720GO

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mohit

Hi!

Can you tell me the safe procedure to removing this Fix Pack?, if just in case i needed to in future. After removing the pack, does the e650 go back to the normal factory fitted homesscreen with normal logos etc.

thanks in advance

Mohit

Guest sanuiteu

ok, this works but i got an e650 from orange and my question is if the after the sales service, guarantee will be lost if i use this tweek??????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul/all

I installed the fix/debrand pack way back last year - thanks again!

I notice there is now an Orange ROM update available here:

http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/S...DeviceDownloads

Was wondering if the fix/debrand pack is compatible with this update? Perhaps the update from Orange now contains some of the fixes?

Hmmm not sure whether to try the Orange update and redo the fix/debrand.....

I was hoping this update from Orange would be Windows 6.1 - it doesn't say so anywhere in the readme, so expect it isn't. :D

Cheers,

A.

Guest Sladge

I almost threw my E650 out the window. It was very slow and none of the applications I tried to install worked.

I saw this post and tried it.

I LOVE it :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Hard reset wasn´t necessary. it worked!! Then I tried to install the appllications I tried before. It works! The Phone is faster than is was before.

Thanx very much for this fix pack. When a new one comes I wil trie it.

THANX again. :D :(

Guest Prof. Yaffle
Hi Paul/all

I installed the fix/debrand pack way back last year - thanks again!

I notice there is now an Orange ROM update available here:

http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/S...DeviceDownloads

Was wondering if the fix/debrand pack is compatible with this update? Perhaps the update from Orange now contains some of the fixes?

Hmmm not sure whether to try the Orange update and redo the fix/debrand.....

I was hoping this update from Orange would be Windows 6.1 - it doesn't say so anywhere in the readme, so expect it isn't. :D

Cheers,

A.

I'm in the process of putting Doctor Gonzo's ROM on mine so thought I'd put the newest Orange ROM update on with the debrand pack to give you an answer. The new ROM itself seems faster and the good news is it seems to work with the Debrand pack. The new ROM is still ugly as sin without the debrand though.

Edit

Here are the new ROM details in case they are any use to anyone.

Radio 4.1.13.60_03.18.90

Operator 22.135.1.611

ROM 1.35.61.1

Edited by Prof. Yaffle

Guest Searley7

Hi there! This sounds like a fantastic pack, however I have just one question!

Does downloading and installing this pack onto the phone have any effect on your warrantee and/or insurance for the phone?

(Sorry if it sounds such a stupid question!)

I'm in the process of putting Doctor Gonzo's ROM on mine so thought I'd put the newest Orange ROM update on with the debrand pack to give you an answer.

Marvellous - thanks for taking the time to try that out. Much appreciated. I'll give it a go this w/e.

BTW Is Doctor Gonzo's ROM the reverse engineered Windows 6.1 ROM? Think I read about that somewhere. I'd be interested to know how you get on with it.

Thanks again,

A.

Guest Prof. Yaffle
Marvellous - thanks for taking the time to try that out. Much appreciated. I'll give it a go this w/e.

BTW Is Doctor Gonzo's ROM the reverse engineered Windows 6.1 ROM? Think I read about that somewhere. I'd be interested to know how you get on with it.

Thanks again,

A.

Yeap, that's the one. There's a thread about it here.

I've had it on since last Sunday and really like it up to now. The phone seems a lot quicker and more stable. With the Orange ROM it used to pause quite a lot when selecting things. Startup time from first switching on seems quicker. It has a vibrate reminder for missed calls / text messages which should really have been included from day one. Threaded SMS seems good up to now. Bluetooth and WiFi can now be enabled / disabled with long presses on the volume keys. The new homescreen is also good.

Just lots of little things that all add up.

Just lots of little things that all add up.

That does sound good.

I know my way around Windows Mobile but am a bit of noob when it comes to ROM flashing etc. If I managed to get the WM6.1 Gonzo ROM applied (is it straight forward? haven't yet read that link - thanks) am I right in thinking that I could revert to the Orange ROM by just re-running the package that I downloaded from Orange? Do I need to do anything with CID etc? I looked in to flashing my C600 a while back and I seem to remember you had to do something to the CID to apply other ROMs?

Guest Prof. Yaffle
That does sound good.

I know my way around Windows Mobile but am a bit of noob when it comes to ROM flashing etc. If I managed to get the WM6.1 Gonzo ROM applied (is it straight forward? haven't yet read that link - thanks) am I right in thinking that I could revert to the Orange ROM by just re-running the package that I downloaded from Orange? Do I need to do anything with CID etc? I looked in to flashing my C600 a while back and I seem to remember you had to do something to the CID to apply other ROMs?

I was the same last weekend. I'd only flashed one official Rom back on my C600. As long as you follow the readme included with Dr. Gonzo's you'll be fine. People seem to have problems when they don't follow it to the T and still have partially locked phones.The only thing I'd add is after the reboot after installing the new ROM, wait patiently. It seems to stick at a normal load screen for 5 minutes or so. This is normal, if you wait it will carry on with the install eventually.

There's also a newer version of the Radio that you can get by either flashing the official Orange ROM first or by downloading it separately from XDA and installing at any point you want. If you change your mind after installing Dr. Gonzo's ROM you can just install the official Orange ROM without having to do anything else (if I understand it correctly).

I was the same last weekend. I'd only flashed one official Rom back on my C600. As long as you follow the readme included with Dr. Gonzo's you'll be fine. People seem to have problems when they don't follow it to the T and still have partially locked phones.The only thing I'd add is after the reboot after installing the new ROM, wait patiently. It seems to stick at a normal load screen for 5 minutes or so. This is normal, if you wait it will carry on with the install eventually.

There's also a newer version of the Radio that you can get by either flashing the official Orange ROM first or by downloading it separately from XDA and installing at any point you want. If you change your mind after installing Dr. Gonzo's ROM you can just install the official Orange ROM without having to do anything else (if I understand it correctly).

Thanks for all the info - now fully Gonzo'd up!

Was actually quite impressed with the new Orange ROM (obviously once debranded!) it seems a lot more responsive even just when locking the keyboard and changing profiles etc, browsing also seemed faster. Anyway, as that was quite an improvement from the original Orange ROM (shows how bad the original was!) I nearly stopped there - but on second thoughts decided to go for the Dr Gonzo ROM to have a peek at WM6.1 - glad I did! Like it a lot.

Wasn't straighforward tho - had a couple of errors along the way and reapplied the new Orange ROM before trying again. Got there in the end! (phew) It seemed that app unlocking via the Orange France method worked better.

Only thing I haven't got working is MMS - which I think you said in another thread isn't as easy as you'd think - you mentioned a CAB file that you used, could you point me in the right direction? Cheers. I did find one (not on here tho) but it doesn't seem to have cracked it.

Guest Prof. Yaffle

There's a cab file on Modaco somewhere but Niz1 posted a link to http://setuporange.wdsglobal.com/ which gave me exactly the same settings as I originally had (the cab file seems to add a couple of extra settings with random names). The settings I'd originally missed is found by going into Messaging and then highlighting MMS. Press the right soft key and select Preferences. Then press the right soft key again and select MMSC Settings. I completely missed those when I copied down all my settings.

There's a cab file on Modaco somewhere but Niz1 posted a link to http://setuporange.wdsglobal.com/ which gave me exactly the same settings as I originally had (the cab file seems to add a couple of extra settings with random names). The settings I'd originally missed is found by going into Messaging and then highlighting MMS. Press the right soft key and select Preferences. Then press the right soft key again and select MMSC Settings. I completely missed those when I copied down all my settings.

Thanks for this - I've managed to get it going. I already had the http://setuporange.wdsglobal.com/ link - but the bit I was struggling with was where it says for the Data Account "Scroll to Connects to and select Orange MMS from the list." and also on the setting up the MMS account bit "Scroll to Connect Via and select Orange MMS." - I don't see how the "Orange MMS" bit that you select gets set-up - it certainly isn't set by getting the GPRS or WAP settings sent to the phone from the website. I think you must have got this from the cab file you ran.

Anyway, mine is working but both of the above settings are set to connect to/via "Secure WAP Network" - seems to work OK, so don;t want to mess with it really, but I would be interested to know how that setting gets set-up if anyone knows?

This is all a bit off-topic - so that's all for now. If I have any more comments or Qs about the Gonzo ROM (very impressed BTW), I'll use a different thread.

BTW As this is a thread about Paul's debrand pack - I can confirm that it works fine on the latest (May 08) ROM from Orange and that the new Orange ROM is definitely worth upgrading to (if you're not brave enough to try the WM6.1 Dr Gonzo ROM) as the phone is much more responsive and browsing and data connections seem faster.

Thanks for your help Prof. Yaffle - don't think I would have been brave enough to try the Dr Gonzo ROM without your reassurance.

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.