Motorola Q or Palm Treo 700wx?

Guest mojoel

Guest mojoel

I currently have a cheap Nokia older model phone and a four year old iPaq (PPC2003) that doesn't have Bluetooth or 802.11.

I currently am trying to choose between a Palm Treo 700wx and a Motorola Q. These are the only two options I have.

I'm pretty sure I will only be using it for voice and then the PDA features.

I see the Q doesn't have a touchscreen & stylus but it has the larger screen.

The 700wx has a smaller screen but has a touchscreen & stylus and will accept my SD cards.

I'm looking for those features I've mentioned but I'm also looking for an easy transition from my iPaq 3950.

Will the software I use on my PocketPC 2003 OS be compatible with these phones or will that depend on the software?

I don't know which to go with...

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks much!

Edited by mojoel

Guest smeg36

Most of your software probably wouldn't work on either. The Q is a Windows Mobile Smartphone based device, and PPC software doesn't typically work on it. The 700wx has a square screen, and a lot of software that isn't optimized for that doesn't work. The 700wx would probably be the easiest for you to transition to coming from a PPC device already. If you wait until Monday Sprint is supposed to be releasing the HTC Mogul (PPC-6800), and that would probably be the best overall choice to make. It would have the same screen resolution as the PPC you're already coming from, and most of the software you already have would work on it.

Guest mojoel
Most of your software probably wouldn't work on either. The Q is a Windows Mobile Smartphone based device, and PPC software doesn't typically work on it. The 700wx has a square screen, and a lot of software that isn't optimized for that doesn't work. The 700wx would probably be the easiest for you to transition to coming from a PPC device already. If you wait until Monday Sprint is supposed to be releasing the HTC Mogul (PPC-6800), and that would probably be the best overall choice to make. It would have the same screen resolution as the PPC you're already coming from, and most of the software you already have would work on it.

We don't have Sprint here in Canada. And my only two choices are the Q & 700wx.

The 240x240 screen might be a problem? Not cool. The more I research and ask the more indecisive I become. It sounds like the Treo is the better phone of the two but it sounds like the Q is closer to my iPaq.

Guest smeg36

Sorry, I didn't realize there was another carrier that carried both the Q and 700wx. It looks like you're on Bell Mobility if those are your choices. Bell does offer the PPC6700, which would be the absolute closest match to your iPaq with a qvga touch screen. The only way the Q is closer to your iPaq than the 700wx is the screen resolution. Other than that it's a completely different OS (Windows Mobile Smartphone instead of Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone). If you'd be willing to switch to Telus they already have the HTC P4000 available, which is the same thing as the HTC Mogul being released on Sprint. Just some options to consider. I don't know how good the two carriers are in Canada though, I'm just looking at the available devices.

Guest mojoel
Sorry, I didn't realize there was another carrier that carried both the Q and 700wx. It looks like you're on Bell Mobility if those are your choices. Bell does offer the PPC6700, which would be the absolute closest match to your iPaq with a qvga touch screen. The only way the Q is closer to your iPaq than the 700wx is the screen resolution. Other than that it's a completely different OS (Windows Mobile Smartphone instead of Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone). If you'd be willing to switch to Telus they already have the HTC P4000 available, which is the same thing as the HTC Mogul being released on Sprint. Just some options to consider. I don't know how good the two carriers are in Canada though, I'm just looking at the available devices.

Maybe I should have stated this right up front. I won a contest. My choice of one of those two devices. Bell will be calling me soon to chose and to setup the device.

I think I've chosen the Q. The Treo has some great features but the Q seems closer to what I need. No touchscreen but the navigation sounds like I could get used to it. The Treo won't do me any good if it is picky about sofware compatibility.

Thanks for your help, smeg!

:rolleyes: