Paul's guide to... changing the HTC Touch / T-Mobile Wing PagePool size

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest metac0m

Hi Paul,

I followed your tutorial step by step and was able to complete is successfully, but dont see any change. I checked the memory settings page like you said and I do not see anything different. What should the values on the memory page be set to?

Guest paplo

paul u are a badword genius.. i just did it for my wing using the 6MB and i have super free program memory of 20MB now instead of the funny 9MB..thanks God bless u.

Guest TrueKnight

I successfully performed the 6MB update (used patch) for my T-Mobile Wing. Talk about a scary 15 minutes. Well worth it and working great.

Thanks Paul!!!!! Are you ever going to post those extra memory tips, that you said you might post, "after you got back from the holidays"? :)

Guest machaco
Yes, but I'm still hoping a Wing RUU surfaces to take the risk away from going the full monty :P

P

Theres a Touch RUU out there if u plan to post them for the elf :)

cheers:D

Guest TrueKnight
Yes, but I'm still hoping a Wing RUU surfaces to take the risk away from going the full monty :P

P

Oh. I assumed you meant non extreme tips like editing startup, services, etc. :)

Let's hope that Wing RUU comes soon (if at all?).

Guest urban95901

Hey Paul Thanks for the great tutorial i enjoy my new t-mobile wing better now and i am able to run more programs at a time, you rock man i appreciate your help.

Guest bullevon

I followed the guide and everything went perfectly. :)

I used the 6mb Wing patch and have noticed a huge increase in speed.

Thanks for the guide Paul! Any other tweaks would be greatly appreciated.

Guest thricemin

I i saw this post a few weeks ago and i was scared to try it so then after while i got tired of haveing no memory on my wing so i saw your second direction and i followed them word for word and it worked it was actualy realy easy concidering i am a newb at this.PAUL YOUR THE MAN lol i dont hate my phone anymore :) thank you again 24 + memory thats right

Guest raymondpun
There is a (official Touch ROM) RUU available at pdamobiz:

RUU_Elf_DOPODASIA_WWE_1.11.707.1B_4.1.13.42_02.93.90_Ship.exe

I think this would help to get the Touch back to life if you damaged it with a wrong flash.

Did anyone tried to use this RUU to fix the phone? I want to do the pagepool hack, but I really afraid that I would mess it up.

Is this RUU for any versino of the phone? I got a english version from HK, is it ok to use this RUU?

Thanks.

Guest msbutterfli

omg...paul u are the greatest :) and paul m, thanks for breaking down that section for me it helped a lot.. now i have 19.46mb free last i checked before doing this it was at 6.56mb this is crazy!!! and uh...am I the first female on here to do this?? lol

ok, i changed pagepool size of my htc touch to 4MB and have about 5MB more space than before.

but there's f.e. a program (which is very important to me) which is soo big, it needs about 19MB to run. ok, on other devices with 20MB memory left it runs perfectly but on the touch with about 22MB left it only starts but you can't work with it, the startup screen appers but i can't make it work (before changing pagepool it couldn't even start the program because of low memory with about 15-17MB left). after trying to type in something (german program most of you don't know about) and searching for something it shows the memory warning and stops working.

how is that? it runs perfect on devices with 20MB memory (but no change in pagepool size) but only starts, and then stops working on htc touch with 22MB (pagepool size changed to 4MB) free program memory.

Guest kwues1

@ Paul, first of all thank you for one of your many awesome contributions.....just curious to know if I would be able to restore a complete backup successfully with no adverse affects after I do the "pagepool" mod and would you recommend it, in your honest opinion? (since it will still be the same ROM)....as always greatly appreciate your time and help/advice, thank you.

regards........ :)

Guest Paul (MVP)

You mean using Sprite Backup or similar?

Yes, that'd work fine :)

P

@ Paul, first of all thank you for one of your many awesome contributions.....just curious to know if I would be able to restore a complete backup successfully with no adverse affects after I do the "pagepool" mod and would you recommend it, in your honest opinion? (since it will still be the same ROM)....as always greatly appreciate your time and help/advice, thank you.

regards........ :P

Guest kwues
You mean using Sprite Backup or similar?

Yes, that'd work fine :)

P

yes!...thanks for making my day, Paul...by the way which pagepool size would you recommend for the Touch (4 or 6 mb)? thanks....

Guest c0v0c

Paul your a genius...

Just did both the Orange HTC Touch devices i picked up today!

Must ask a poll to be raised perhaps as a seperate thread if you can?

We have the touch and have changed the page file to 4mb.

What have others done for the touch as most people posting to this thread seem to be talking about the wing, so i ask what other touch users are using 4mb or 6mb and how is it working for them?

Again, thanks Paul.

Regards,

Chris

Guest Gentmab

as of now, I still have no way to do this on Windows but do you have any idea if I could do this on a Mac??? I really need this pagepool change, and any other mem tweaks you got

Guest kokoko2000
[teaser]Welcome to another edition of 'Paul's Guide to...' :)

Press F3 to find the second instance

It says there is no second instance

BTW - the patcher also mention that it is not designed for my file

any help please.. or people with similar problems on T-Mobile Wing

thanks

Guest kokoko2000
When I run the patcher, I get an error that the file that it's meant to patch isn't the same as the file that I have. Tells me that maybe the file has been patched already, but I know for a fact that it hasn't since I even made an extra copy of it. Do some wings come with slighly different firmware? I edited the file by hand, too, but that message that the patcher gave me scared me out of using it....

ROM Version: 4.10.531.3 WWE

ROM Date: 03/15/07

Radio version: 02.83.90

Protocol version: 4.1.13.37

ExtROM version: 4.10.531.103

Same here

Guest nvgear

just did PAUL's Amazing guide, followed step by step and used the patcher to replace step #4, happy to report my t-mobile wing is now functioning 110% :)

Good job man! you are a genius! this pagepool was a critical flaw in the wing...

i did everything under windows xp.... so i think it would be safer to not to do it in vista since everything worked flawlessly for me in xp, lol if someone can write a small program that automates this process, i believe many people would pay $10-$30 for it, earn a quick buck lol

ANYWAYS, THANKS PAUL!

Edited by nvgear

Guest nvgear

you guys are such geniuses here, maybe you can help me with this:

has anyone notice that on the TMOBILE WING, if you TURN OFF ALL RADIOS (phone, bluetooth, wifi) at night when you goto sleep, battery at 100%, the next morning when you wake up the battery will be around 50-70%? ironically, if i leave my cellular radio on, the next morning the battery will be at 98% or 99% even 100%... does anyone know what is wrong? I've heard a few other users complain about this issue, if you don't believe me, give it a try tonight!

THANKS

Guest carlosp_uk

Thank you Paul and everybody else - have just got myself an HTC touch (from an orange shop; their only one!) and my very first step was to decrease the Pagepool to 4Mb. Worked perfectly and now I have 51Mb of total Program RAM.

Incidentally, the models arriving at Orange Shops have:

ROM: 1.14.61.1 WWE

C

Guest stinkeymole

Hi Guys,

I have a HTC Touch in the post on the way to me as I type. I really wanted to try this trick on my new device as soon as it came through the door but I was scared I was going to brick it within the first 10mins of it's life! Soooo.............Ithought i'd have a little practice..........on my MDA Vario (Original T-mob WM5 rom) :P I wasn't to worried about it going wrong as I kinda new I could reflash back to the original rom again. Anyway guess what......? It worked! The default pagepool size on the vario is 12MB so I decided to change it to 6MB and after a succesful reflash and reset my program mem has now jumped from 25MB to 31MB! Testing for misbehaviour is underway but it seems OK!

Its amazing how much confidence a few beers can give you! Yes I did this half cut! :) I'll be sober when I try this with my new Touch though.

What a great trick Paul and thankyou for sharing it with us ;)

Much Love

C x