htc touch included in bbc video about iphone

Guest musicvan

Guest musicvan

As part of the iphone hype the BBC have "unusually" picked up a story related to Apple (they do have an amazing PR machine, if only other companies did half as well), but half way down the page there is an embedded video with a review of iphone rivals which includes the touch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6250192.stm

Most of the online blogs and reviewers appear to like the design and initial UI but this turns to disappointment when they move out of the touchflo UI and back into wm6. I hope that HTC add to the initial touchflo concept and add touchflo interfaces to the key areas that the majority of people use on their phone, mainly text input and contact navigation. Hopefully this could be a future firmware upgrade....Then we could have the best of both worlds, user friendly UI for the main phone function and WM6 for the detailed stuff....Apple need some competition to avoid the phone market going the way of the portable music player market.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest psionara
As part of the iphone hype the BBC have "unusually" picked up a story related to Apple (they do have an amazing PR machine, if only other companies did half as well), but half way down the page there is an embedded video with a review of iphone rivals which includes the touch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6250192.stm

Most of the online blogs and reviewers appear to like the design and initial UI but this turns to disappointment when they move out of the touchflo UI and back into wm6. I hope that HTC add to the initial touchflo concept and add touchflo interfaces to the key areas that the majority of people use on their phone, mainly text input and contact navigation. Hopefully this could be a future firmware upgrade....Then we could have the best of both worlds, user friendly UI for the main phone function and WM6 for the detailed stuff....Apple need some competition to avoid the phone market going the way of the portable music player market.

I am not here to do htc pr work but I find some of the “reviews” (like the bbc one) very shallow and a bit blinded by apple hype.

The touchflow stuff does take a little getting used to, you have to press a bit to make it work and it doesn’t go very deep but covers much of the areas of common use and I rarely use the stylus for these (including “contact navigation”). Some comment has been made regarding its ability to distinguish between a screen stylus press and a screen finger press. This does seem to work well and many standard wm6 buttons/functions work well and consistently only using a finger / thumb. Text could have been done better but there are several (see elsewhere this site) good / cheap options.

As with all technology something better will be along tomorrow but you might also die waiting for the perfect device, this one will keep me happy for the next few years

Edited by psionara