Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ryanworrell520

Hello. New member here. Quick question. If this does end up with T-Mobile does it have the hardware abilities to be UMA and work with the newly released HotSpot@Home?

Thanks

Guest whoster69
I've heard nothing re: T-Mo USA taking it.

P

I've been keeping an eye on them in case they do. I would be nice. I really wish AT&T would pick it up.

Guest eleazar

Wow, those camera shots are amazing! I can only hope VZW releases a phone with a similar quality camera. Or maybe AT&T will pick it up and I'll just switch to them! :)

Great review :P

Guest bugmenot2

I'm kind of confused. Is this the same as the Apache for verizon? Will the Kaiser be released for Verizon in the states?

Edited by bugmenot2

Guest demione

Hey Paul, when you mentioned AT&T and T-Mobile, you meant the American carriers, right? It's funny to hear you talk about them in regards to this phone -- didn't the FCC just place a ban on all Qualcomm chips recently? If I'm not mistaken this includes the chip found in the Kaiser...

Guest mikeeey
-- didn't the FCC just place a ban on all Qualcomm chips recently? If I'm not mistaken this includes the chip found in the Kaiser...

why??

the 8525 has a qualcomm chip but it isnt banned in the US. if you look in the settings though it says samsung.

EDIT: hmm, read this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,118969-page,1/article.html

i guess that explains everything. however, the kaiser is almost ready to be released in the market. so if this does happen, we wont have to worry about the qualcomm chip being taken out of the kaiser, it would be taken out of phones after the kaiser, sometime in the future.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest nuttyphilt
Hi,

You just mention that there is a latest version of WM6 for the Hermes?, is it official?? Where can we download this version for the Hermes Platform?

Cheers,

JayZ

Completely unofficial of course. XDA Devs is your friend...

Guest zen123

Not much bigger than the Trinity which means that this WILL be my next device. Anyone know if it will be available in white as I come to like my white Trinity loads.

My O2 contract is up at end of August so just in time to switch over to T-Mobile.

Guest zen123

Not much bigger than the Trinity which means that this WILL be my next device. Anyone know if it will be available in white as I come to like my white Trinity loads.

My O2 contract is up at end of August so just in time to switch over to T-Mobile.

Guest n20nine

nice review Paul. Seems that HTC finally put in a decent camera after so many years. Cant wait to get my hands on this ASAP.

Guest cgau

I agree that the Kaiser is a very exciting phone and it will be hard to not get one, currently use Cingular 8525 (Hermes). some of the additions are very nice, 128 RAM, GPS, rubber feel, flip up screen. But, honestly i will reserve calling a phone complete until the internal ROM is above 1 GB and more importantly when we will have a video accelerator in these devices. Such as the O2 Flame with built-in NVIDIA GoForce 5500 video accelerator and VGA screen.

With a 520MHz processor and video accelerator, now that would be a fast phone. and it has 2 GB of internal memory. All that phone needs is a QWERTY keyboard, WM6, and GPS. If a phone had all of this, then it would be a complete phone!

http://www.seeo2.com/product/XdaFlame/template/Product.vm

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/21/o2-xda-...et-pc-high-end/

Guest whoster69
I agree that the Kaiser is a very exciting phone and it will be hard to not get one, currently use Cingular 8525 (Hermes). some of the additions are very nice, 128 RAM, GPS, rubber feel, flip up screen. But, honestly i will reserve calling a phone complete until the internal ROM is above 1 GB and more importantly when we will have a video accelerator in these devices. Such as the O2 Flame with built-in NVIDIA GoForce 5500 video accelerator and VGA screen.

With a 520MHz processor and video accelerator, now that would be a fast phone. and it has 2 GB of internal memory. All that phone needs is a QWERTY keyboard, WM6, and GPS. If a phone had all of this, then it would be a complete phone!

http://www.seeo2.com/product/XdaFlame/template/Product.vm

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/21/o2-xda-...et-pc-high-end/

What about the HTC Advantage X7501?

Guest Christopher Woods

The O2 Flame looks like it's super powerful, but imagine how quickly the battery in that thing would run out the moment you started using accelerated graphics or really working th CPU... The advantage of these combined chips is increased battery life - and I'd rather have a slower MHz device which lasts longer! The Megahertz War is quite meaningless nowadays though, what with all these companies making their own reduced instruction set (RISC) CPUs which I'm sure have their own optimisations and power-saving routines built into them... It's not what you've got, it's how you use it :)

Paul - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

You're one lucky so and so for getting your mitts on a review unit... I tried speaking to TM direct a few times to ask them when they'd be getting their branded handsets in, the most I could get out of one bloke was that they usually get their own branded versions of new smartphone handsets about two months after they go on sale direct from the OEM, so I can't wait to get mine! I'm so happy I'm on Flext with Web 'n Walk HSDPA too... My Vario 2 is a great handset, but from the moment I read about the Kaiser I knew I needed to have it.

This'll beat the crap outta the iPhone. ;) :D :D B) B)

We need more pics of the slide and tilt mechanism though! More I say! MOAR!

Good review :P

Edited by Christopher Woods

Guest Michael Pang

Paul,

BTW, can you give me more details on your experience on the battery life and CPU performance, like TCPMP?

Guest Syphon Filter

Paul,

I take it you are a tomtom user. Any chance you could give copilot 6 a go on there for me please? If I get this I will likely get it on TMobile and get the copilot pack.

Cheers,

Syphon.

Guest MARKUKCOUK

How come you can review this device having only had it a day, when you posted this in the M700 thread...

Unfortunately, Orange's PR agency are only able to offer me a device with a 3 day turnaround, and I don't feel this is long enough to provide you, the readership, with a fair and considered review, which is what we strive to provide and is the least you should expect.

???

The toshiba looks to be a very fine phone in terms of spec, The long screen puts me off looks very odd. So far the Kaiser is the phone for me as you can see from the pictures.

My main phone the Kaiser and secondary the Dopod C730. The Kaiser wins the battle of The Toshiba vs Kaiser hands down. I am sure when Pauls back from holiday he probably will get his hands on

the toshiba, There was a review off the Toshiba in PDA Essentials issue 63 page 84 (Scored an 8)

post-118474-1183460875_thumb.jpg

post-118474-1183460886_thumb.jpg

Guest Paul (MVP)
How come you can review this device having only had it a day, when you posted this in the M700 thread...

???

Because I have the device long enough to continually update the review, I am under no pressure to return it before issues would surface.

I have now given it a REAL thrashing, and still love it btw :)

P

Because I have the device long enough to continually update the review, I am under no pressure to return it before issues would surface.

I have now given it a REAL thrashing, and still love it btw :)

P

lol I can see you now with the device lol, My partner thinks I love the Kaiser more than her, She knows she always comes first but I do love the Kaiser :P

Guest freeloader

Ah, compromise, ... that's all HTC ever do. Want a new feature? We'll have to take away this other one...

What am I going to do now with over $60 worth of Universal TV Remote software? Was is that difficult for them to keep IrDA in there? :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.