Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

The demise of IR has been coming a LONG time, and I would say is generally accepted. This is the least compromising device HTC have ever produced TBH :)

P @ Orlando

Guest Webreaper
What am I going to do now with over $60 worth of Universal TV Remote software?

Erm, use the r/c that came with your telly/video/dvd player/stereo? Then at least you won't have to stand within 2m of the device to use it, too. :)

Guest RSkillz

This looks like an incredible device when I look at the specs, but the design...it's just...ugly... :)

(yup, my personal opinion)

Guest shanedean

Not sure that it will be much of a step forward from my M3100 apart from GPS built in. Ok, camera seems better but not sure about the tilting screen. Does it take a bit of force to move into it's 'elevated' position or will it just flop about over time? I'm already running WM6 and yes it would be nice to have an official version of it, although from what I understand it will be a bit of a step back from the Black Majik OS I'm currently using.

Why can't HTC come up with a device that has GPS, DAB radio (or FM, though ones in the past on Mobiles have been bit poor), VGA screen etc? As a previous poster stated, it always seems to be a compromise :)

Edited by shanedean

Guest Webreaper
Why can't HTC come up with a device that has GPS, DAB radio (or FM, though ones in the past on Mobiles have been bit poor), VGA screen etc? As a previous poster stated, it always seems to be a compromise :)

LOL. A mobile device will always be a compromise, it's a question of which compromise you choose. E.g., I could upgrade my Wizard to an Artemis, but although that would give me GPS, it has no keyboard. For some that may not be an issue - for me it is.

The 3100 is a great device, if you don't need/want GPS. But the Kaiser has it all - GPS, fast CPU, lots of storage, 3G, USB2, etc, etc.

People will always complain. What you have to think about is not whether a device has it all, but whether it's got enough, and the things you want, for the battery life, weight, form-factor and price you're willing to pay.

Guest rickyburke

I'm torn between the Kaiser and this http://www.clubimate.com/ultimate/ult7150.htm

yes it doesnt have GPS, but ive never used or had need to use GPS.

I've been using a Universal for so long now that I dont know if i could give up the VGA screen.

Kaisers Tilt is really good, slider is very solid doesn't wobble like the VOX one of the features I hated about that smartphone and still do. I have given up on a vga screen in the size and form factor long ago. It is hard to get the balance i.e battery, cpu and size. For me I am very happy with the screen on the Kaiser since leaving me Universal I haven't looked back.

Guest mikeeey
Kaisers Tilt is really good, slider is very solid doesn't wobble like the VOX one of the features I hated about that smartphone and still do. I have given up on a vga screen in the size and form factor long ago. It is hard to get the balance i.e battery, cpu and size. For me I am very happy with the screen on the Kaiser since leaving me Universal I haven't looked back.

i dont like VGA cuz its big, takes up more cpu power, and battery power. i wish they could fit the VGA resolution to the size of QVGA screens, kind of like how they fit QVGA from pocket pc's to the size of smartphone's screens.

Guest broadwayblue

Great review...can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Had one question though. In your review you write:

"Below the speaker sits the 2.8" screen, which is bevelled into the device slightly in order to provide it with a degree of protection. This also denotes that the Kaiser will not be a 'Touch' equipped device, as such devices have a flush screen covered with reinforced plastic."

What do you mean when you say it will not be a 'Touch' equipped device? It comes with a stylus so I'm a bit confused. Sorry if my first post is a stupid one.

Guest mikeeey
Great review...can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Had one question though. In your review you write:

"Below the speaker sits the 2.8" screen, which is bevelled into the device slightly in order to provide it with a degree of protection. This also denotes that the Kaiser will not be a 'Touch' equipped device, as such devices have a flush screen covered with reinforced plastic."

What do you mean when you say it will not be a 'Touch' equipped device? It comes with a stylus so I'm a bit confused. Sorry if my first post is a stupid one.

it will not have the same touch screen the HTC touch did. it does have a normal touch screen though.

Guest Samuran

Great review Paul... I don't know what we'd do if you didn't get all these cool brand spanking new devices before everyone else :) heh

Don't know if you can answer this one but will the modaco shop be selling Kaisers? In network branded mode? or will there be a HTC sim free version?

Cheers

Ben

Guest broadwayblue

Thanks mikeeey and webreaper. Can't wait to toss my near death Treo 650 and pick up a 4550. I hope it's not too much longer now.

anyway , according with the last (yesterday delivered) beta ROM , Kaiser has finger scroll feature.......

Yes it sure does, Paul can tell us all about it I am sure we will see some pictures soon.

Guest whoster69
So...

Toshiba Portege G900 vs. HTC Kaiser

That's the dilemna I'm having now. What do you guys reckon?

I think the G900 will be a lot more expensive, but that's just a guess at this point, based on early pricing of G900's in the UK. No word yet on Kaiser pricing, but I expect it will be less.

I think the G900 will be a lot more expensive, but that's just a guess at this point, based on early pricing of G900's in the UK. No word yet on Kaiser pricing, but I expect it will be less.

I can assure you the Kaiser will be more than £400 hence making it more expensive than the G900.

Took some screen shots of the new rom in action. I haven't got much time on my hands at the moment so this little update should keep you happy till Paul goes into all the detail.

It is getting very much touch user friendly. For a lot of the tasks I just use my finger saves getting out the stylus. I never really use screen protectors but I may start lol.

There is a nice Weather today plugin also. I must say big improvement over the last rom.

post-118474-1183681650_thumb.png

post-118474-1183681661_thumb.png

post-118474-1183681669_thumb.png

post-118474-1183681694_thumb.png

post-118474-1183681840_thumb.png

Edited by Guest

Guest mikeeey
anyway , according with the last (yesterday delivered) beta ROM , Kaiser has finger scroll feature.......

cool! so it will have the features of the touch? just not the hard screen?

who knows, maybe since they've already goten this close they might just give it a hard screen :)

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yes, I should have said TouchFLO and made it more clear.

AFAIK the new ROM only adds aspects of the HTC Touch UI rather than the TouchFlo finger interface, but i'll let you know when I've applied the latest ROM (36% done as we speak) :)

P

Guest mikeeey
Yes, I should have said TouchFLO and made it more clear.

AFAIK the new ROM only adds aspects of the HTC Touch UI rather than the TouchFlo finger interface, but i'll let you know when I've applied the latest ROM (36% done as we speak) :)

P

done installing yet?

touchFLO aspects? so itl just look like it but not perform like it in any way?

o and when can u take some videos or pictures with coolcamera?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest Syphon Filter

Ok, I've seen an unboxing video of the G900 (it was on engadget/gizmodo can't remember which, courtesy of tracyandmatt.co.uk

The screen is the ONLY lure of the G900 but considering the device is pretty large compared to the Kaiser, I think I will just go for the Kaiser. The built in GPS will also be a nice bonus.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.