Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest frydryce
You have to have a $40 a month data plan! First week in to the second month and you have already eaten up the rebate! Why bother!

--

Kage

yeah better to get the $29 smartphone plan instead of the $39pda plan.

i don't get the fact that they have "tethering" plans that go up to $99/month. how does ATT know if you're tethering or not with these phones? will it be some stupid ROM thing where ATT will disable tethering unless you pay for the plan? if so, then even more reason to buy an unbranded TyTnII

No GPS means no phone.

im an optimistic person, but, why would AT&T release a "finished" rom including the gps features? then remove the gps and change the "finished" rom? if they do take it out though, hopefully it's only though software. If I can buy a Tilt and Flash the HTC rom on with working gps then that's fine with me.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest Kagenryu
yeah better to get the $29 smartphone plan instead of the $39pda plan.

i don't get the fact that they have "tethering" plans that go up to $99/month. how does ATT know if you're tethering or not with these phones? will it be some stupid ROM thing where ATT will disable tethering unless you pay for the plan? if so, then even more reason to buy an unbranded TyTnII

I think you have to choose the PDA plan, because it is a PDA phone (WinMo Pro not WinMo, which is for SmartPhones). Which makes it suck all the more. I believe Sprint's is $20 and T-Mo is $10 for unlimited. They need to get their act together if they want to stay competitive - not everyone bought the iPhone. <_<

--

Kage

Guest frydryce

unless you buy a subsidized phone, the trick is to buy a junker phone with internet capabilities and get that phone's unlimited data plan. $29.99.

then plug the simcard into your Kaiser and enjoy. Data is data, they don't send you different data based on the program you have. that's what's so stupid about AT&T's deal. all the unlimited dataplans are exactly the same, but with different pricing points depending on the phone you have and services you "want". Tethering is a phone based thing, not a service based thing, so you are just getting screwed for paying for tethering.

AT&T screws its customers on data plans. i blame it on the iphone! hahaha ;)

Guest New HTC User

My suggestion is to use the MediaNet option with AT&T which has unlimited internet access for $19.99. That is the service I use today although it doesn't include text messaging.

Guest NuShrike
My suggestion is to use the MediaNet option with AT&T which has unlimited internet access for $19.99. That is the service I use today although it doesn't include text messaging.
MediaMax 200 is $19 per month and includes 200 SMS. Why get anything else?

Guest frydryce
MediaMax 200 is $19 per month and includes 200 SMS. Why get anything else?

unless you buy an unbranded phone, the issue i'm anticipating is how AT&T pegged the iphone buyers who were all forced to purchase the $39.99 data plan. Does anyone know if they were later able to reduce their plans to the MediaMax rates afterwards without issue to their contracts?

i'm fine paying for the 39.99 plan for a month or two so i can get a subsidized phone.

Do you know if this (or ANY plan, really) includes DATA STREAMING from applications such as Slingbox? I've been trying to get this information out of AT&T for WEEKS now without any sucess. ;)

Tony

Guest frydryce
Do you know if this (or ANY plan, really) includes DATA STREAMING from applications such as Slingbox? I've been trying to get this information out of AT&T for WEEKS now without any sucess. ;)

Tony

that's the thing! any data package will work with streaming. to stream video you'll definitely need a 3G phone in a 3G covered area. you can find 3g coverage maps at attwireless.com. make sure you get the unlimited data package though, you'll go over real fast streaming video.

that's the thing! any data package will work with streaming. to stream video you'll definitely need a 3G phone in a 3G covered area. you can find 3g coverage maps at attwireless.com. make sure you get the unlimited data package though, you'll go over real fast streaming video.

Understood - but my issue is whether the AT&T unlimited data plans actually COVER streaming media as part of the plan. It looks to me like AT&T specifically FORBIDS this - see this thread:

http://www.modaco.com/ATandT-Streaming-Dat...ns-t259486.html

I don't know if they have a way of actually monitoring this, but I don't want to do anything again any rules since I'm a coward at heart :wub: , and I don't want to get potentially stuck with a $2,000 phone bill.

You would think that simply ASKING someone from AT&T would get you the answer, but after asking about 10 people both on the phone and in the stores, I still have not received a straight answer, and most have no idea whay the heck I'm talking about. ;)

Tony

Edited by Tones@

Guest NuShrike
Understood - but my issue is whether the AT&T unlimited data plans actually COVER streaming media as part of the plan. It looks to me like AT&T specifically FORBIDS this - see this thread:
iPhones stream YouTube under the same plans. Verizon forbids it in their TOS and there's plenty of commercials about their phones' video streaming abilities. Go read HowardForums.

Get a clue.

Guest frydryce
I had the same question. Be nice. ;)

data is data whether you're browsing this forum, downloading "legal" mp3s, streaming youtube/slingbox, or downloading pr0n on your Kaiser. If you have an unlimited Data plan, then its the phone that becomes the limiting factor in your abilities and wishes.

data is data whether you're browsing this forum, downloading "legal" mp3s, streaming youtube/slingbox, or downloading pr0n on your Kaiser. If you have an unlimited Data plan, then its the phone that becomes the limiting factor in your abilities and wishes.

Well, in THEORY yes. And I don't think they'd ever catch it, but AT&T's "Plan Terms" SPECIFICALLY forbids it. You can look yourself under the "Plan Terms" item at the bottom of this page:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-ser...phone-plans.jsp

or if you're too lazy ;) , here's the section (note that the CAPS are AT&T's emphasis, the bold is mine):

"Prohibited and Permissible Uses: Data Service sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) corporate intranet access (including access to corporate email, customer relationship management, sales force automation, and field service automation applications). PROHIBITED USES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, USING SERVICES: (I) WITH SERVER DEVICES OR WITH HOST COMPUTER APPLICATIONS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WEB CAMERA POSTS OR BROADCASTS, CONTINUOUS JPEG FILE TRANSFERS, AUTOMATIC DATA FEEDS, TELEMETRY APPLICATIONS, PEER-TO-PEER (P2P) FILE SHARING, AUTOMATED FUNCTIONS OR ANY OTHER MACHINE-TO-MACHINE APPLICATIONS; (II) AS SUBSTITUTE OR BACKUP FOR PRIVATE LINES OR DEDICATED DATA CONNECTIONS; (III) FOR VOICE OVER IP; (IV) IN CONJUNCTION WITH WWAN OR OTHER APPLICATIONS OR DEVICES WHICH AGGREGATE USAGE FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES PRIOR TO TRANSMISSION; (V) USING THE SERVICES FOR ANY ACTIVITY THAT ADVERSELY AFFECTS THE ABILITY OF OTHER PEOPLE OR SYSTEMS TO USE EITHER THE SERVICES OR OTHER PARTIES' INTERNET-BASED RESOURCES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO EXCESSIVE CONSUMPTION OF NETWORK OR SYSTEM RESOURCES (WHETHER INTENTIONAL OR UNINTENTIONAL) AND "DENIAL OF SERVICE" (DOS) ATTACKS AGAINST ANOTHER NETWORK HOST OR INDIVIDUAL USER; OR (VI) INTERFERENCE WITH OR DISRUPTION OF OTHER NETWORK USERS, NETWORK SERVICES OR NETWORK EQUIPMENT. EXCEPT FOR CONTENT FORMATTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH AT&T'S WIRELESS CONTENT STANDARDS, UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR UPLOADING, DOWNLOADING OR STREAMING OF VIDEO CONTENT (E.G. MOVIES, TV), MUSIC OR GAMES. FURTHERMORE, UNLIMITED PLANS (EXCEPT FOR DATACONNECT AND BLACKBERRY TETHERED) CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER THE DEVICE (THROUGH USE OF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONNECTION KITS, OTHER PHONE/PDA-TO-COMPUTER ACCESSORIES, BLUETOOTH® OR ANY OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY) TO LAPTOPS, PCS, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR ANY PURPOSE."

This seems to apply to ANY streaming media, including youtube (although the iPhone has this as a FEATURE) and internet radio. So, what's up this THAT?

Tony

Edited by Tones@

Guest NuShrike
T-Mobile uses a very unique specific sliver of 1700 and 2100MHz for up/down. Frequency selection is a quirk of the way the spectrum was auctioned off in the US; look up Advanced Wireless Service (AWS).

NOBODY in the world uses this, and no 3G phones (except a rumored one from T-Mobile USA) support it. Also, 1700MHz still has some USA gov't/military still using it, and they get to stay around for another 10 years counting from 2006, or so.

HOWEVER, if the Kaiser uses the msm7200 with the RTR6285 transceiver, then it seems to support AWS and 1700MHz, if I read http://www.cdmatech.com/download_library/p...200_chipset.pdf correctly, as well as this phonescoop article.

I'm assuming it is the RTR6285 because the Kaiser supports UMTS 2100 (RTR6275/RFR6525, RTR6285), UMTS 1900+850 (RTR6275/RFR6500, RTR6285), and UMTS 2100 + 800 (RTR6275/RFR6525, RTR6285).

The only one that seems to cross all of these bands together is the RTR6285 which also supports 2100 + 1700 + 800MHz (AWS except for the 800), and triple-band receive ability. There's also this Qualcomm PR about AWS support.

Couple that with Kaiser rumors of a T-Mobile USA debut soon ... ;) Maybe the Kaiser won't be obsolete 2008 before WiMaxx/4G/LTE now.

Guest ScrewlooseAZ
Couple that with Kaiser rumors of a T-Mobile USA debut soon ... ;) Maybe the Kaiser won't be obsolete 2008 before WiMaxx/4G/LTE now.

Huh, What? Where are these rumors, because I would like to read them? I've been looking daily and have not seen one yet.

I'm currently using T-mobile and will be buying an unlocked kaiser and then waiting a little while before switching to AT&T's service. But if there was a way to use T-mobil's 3G service when it gets here that would be awsome.

Do you guys think that the Tilt actually showing at PhoneScoop might mean something? as far as, being released soon..

i just sent them a correction email on a few things, and asked some questions at the same time, i guess wel see what they say.

I've been tweaking like a fool on my new Kaiser and it's really a sold and stable unit. The biggest issue that I'm seeing over on XDA Developers where I hang is BT Headset performance. Many are complaining that BT headsets that sound good on almost any old phone, sound "tinny" and low volume on the Kaiser. I use Jawbone headsets and I have to agree that the volume is certainly lower on my Kaiser than my Hermes. One guy, a reseller, claims that he's tried 30 Kaisers and about 10 headsets and they all have this low volume/poor quality sound.

All other sounds sent via bluetooth or wired sould good, just phone transmissions. HTC needs to hear this LOUD and clear from us, that a fix must be found.

Other than that, the phone is a killer product! Hopefully the AT&T Tilts won't suffer this problem when they surface!

lol "tilt delayed a few weeks"

first of all, this isnt anything new? it already has been delayed.

we've been hearing dates of it being released, and it hasnt happened, so what makes it being delayed just as true? anything we hear is gonna change, whether it be the Tilt being released or delayed, it's all the same, its just about waiting.

yea an amazon link has already been posted here i think, but their price is outragious, $1000. most places are close to 1000 but dont actually get into the 4 digits.

That's not Amazon actually selling it, but rather a 3rd party seller with a 50% positive rating. So I'd like to see who's willing to pay $200+ more from an unreputable dealer, he he.

Tony

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.