Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest NuShrike
That's not Amazon actually selling it, but rather a 3rd party seller with a 50% positive rating. So I'd like to see who's willing to pay $200+ more from an unreputable dealer, he he.
It's even more funny that there's also a link near the bottom selling it for $765.

can anyone help me decide between a Trinity and a TyTN2? There's a big price gap -- is it worth it?

Thanks!

I would go with the Kaiser, but it does depend what your using it for.

TyTN II/Kaiser Pros:

Kaiser has 128mb of ram as the Trinity only has 64mb.

Kaiser has 256mb of rom, Trinity has 128mb.

Kaiser has wm6, Trinity has wm5.

Kaiser has a faster Qualcomm Chip.

Kaiser has a QWERTY keyboard, trinity doesnt.

Kaiser has USB 2.0, Trinity is only 1.1.

Kaiser has a 3.1mp camera, Trinity is only 1.9mp.

Trinity Pros:

1500mAh battery, Kaiser only has 1350mAh.

So it depends if you want more and better features. I like gaming, taking photos and videos, and a fast device, which is why im going with the Kaiser (AT&T Tilt Brand)

Guest ScrewlooseAZ
HOWEVER, if the Kaiser uses the msm7200 with the RTR6285 transceiver, then it seems to support AWS and 1700MHz,

I'm assuming it is the RTR6285 because the Kaiser supports UMTS 2100 (RTR6275/RFR6525, RTR6285), UMTS 1900+850 (RTR6275/RFR6500, RTR6285), and UMTS 2100 + 800 (RTR6275/RFR6525, RTR6285).

Does anyone know which version of the MSM7200 is in the Kaiser? I've searched around but have not found any confirmationon of this.

Edited by ScrewlooseAZ

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi Paul, I am Andy, from Hong Kong. I have been reading this forum for more than 4 months already (Really thanks for all your information and review posted here) and I was waiting the Kaiser to be launch in Asia for long. Now, I got my sweet deivce 2 days before.

Well, I have a question about the GPS. The QuickFix software works really great. This helps me initialize my GPS for first fix be done in seconds (e.g. within 30 seconds so far). But I found that there is a delaying issue here. After the GPS was fixed, the refleshing rate is pretty slow (say every 5 ~ 10 seconds). I can tell this by watching the GPS stream data. Those data always come in all the data at the same time and stop for couple of seconds (e.g. 10 seconds). During this period, my position remains no change even I was moving in a car. Before this device, I was using Dopod D810 (Tririty). Although, D810 took mintues to fix the position initially, the refleshing rate is really fast. I can see the "red" / "blue" bar (GPS Singal strength from GPS Monitor) kept moving (like refleshing in less than 1 seconds).

Do you have this problem on your device? or this is normal?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

What are you using to watch the data? I've sort of had this in some instances...

P

Guest CrasherZ
What are you using to watch the data? I've sort of had this in some instances...

P

Hi Paul, I am using a map software called MapKing2007 (www.mapasia.com). Under this application, there is a GPS status monitoring feature. Such that, I can see the GPS data stream flowing.

Actually, I've managed to resolve the problem (workaround it to be exact) by installing a GPSGate software as the common gateway for those GPS signal. This application will capture the GPS signal from the OS level directly and multicast the singal to one or more virtual com port (e.g. com 1). All other GPS application can obtain the filtered / consolidated signal. And seems that the application works fine after adding this layer of GPS signal filtering.

BTW, do you encounter this problem on other software before? Is that related to the hardware / software compatability issue? Please advice.

Thanks, Paul.

Guest Heinz2004

T-Mobile Germany is shipping the HTC Kaiser aka

MDA Vario III to Business Customers since Okt. 1st.

0,3465,97134,00.jpg

Got it now - wow! Smaller than expected-good.

HSDPA 3.6 at my place (poor singal quality):

Download 959kb/s=120kByte/s

Upload 216kb/s=27kByte/s

Ping=107ms

EDGE (good signal quality):

Download 227kb/s=28kByte/s

Upload 48kb/s=6kByte/s

Ping=376ms

Other server:

Download: 1.177 kbit/s (147 kByte/s)

Upload: 238 kbit/s (30 kByte/s)

WLAN-Login ca. 5 Sec. -> super IMHO

I like this device.

Guest BarCellarOwner

Anybody got any news on when Brodit will be releasing a car kit for the TyTN II?

I'm also waiting on O2-UK to release the TyTN II (O2 is the only network to get any service where I live and I'm only 10 miles from London, go figure). If I don't hear something soon, I'm going to go for the O2 "Simplicity" option and buy an unlocked version, I think. It seems to be just as cheap to do it that way and you're on a month by month contract instead of being tied in.

Anybody know anything to help my decision?

Guest Chief Curmudgeon
I'm a U.S. AT&T customer. I've dealt with the same knowledgeable Cingular/AT&T independent reseller (Darin Roth of "The Phone Store" (innovative, what?)) for years, and his information always is excellent. I placed my order for the AT&T8925/Kaiser/TyTN II/Tilt a couple of weeks ago, and just received this message from Darin:

"Just got off a conference call.......they just said the release date is now 092507."

FWIW.

Well, the original notice from AT&T was off by nine days, but they finally got off the dime. I just received the following message from Darin of "The Phone Store," an authorized AT&T agent in Kansas City, Missouri, USA, about my new HTC/AT&T 8925:

"Subject: Tilt. "I just got notification. We will have it tomorrow by 3:00PM."

Cheers!

Guest Kagenryu
grr still waiting for it to arive in washington. as soon as it does il be getting the device!

Dude, letstalk.com has it for $250 without rebate and depending on the other rebates, $200, $150 and $99. I ordered mine (with new contract) for $250 since I do not plan on spending an arm on a leg a data plan. Cheaper than AT&T plus it seems you get a lot more stuff with it. I will let you know more when it arrives Friday. ;)

--

Kage

Guest mikeeey
Dude, letstalk.com has it for $250 without rebate and depending on the other rebates, $200, $150 and $99. I ordered mine (with new contract) for $250 since I do not plan on spending an arm on a leg a data plan. Cheaper than AT&T plus it seems you get a lot more stuff with it. I will let you know more when it arrives Friday. ;)

--

Kage

wait and is tghat the kaiser or the tilt?

Guest Kagenryu
wait and is tghat the kaiser or the tilt?

They say it is the Tilt, but the accessories that come with it (case, usb headset, etc.) lead me to believe it is actually the TyTN II. I will know for sure on Friday. ;)

Guest mikeeey
They say it is the Tilt, but the accessories that come with it (case, usb headset, etc.) lead me to believe it is actually the TyTN II. I will know for sure on Friday. ;)

i just talked to an AT&T guy and il be getting the Tilt on friday for $299 with 2 $50 rebates i think? anyway, il have it by friday.

Guest Kagenryu
i just talked to an AT&T guy and il be getting the Tilt on friday for $299 with 2 $50 rebates i think? anyway, il have it by friday.

Check the fine print - unless you want the PDA Plan (which at $40 is obscene compared to Sprint and Verizon at $20), the one rebate is worthless. <_<

Guest burrzoo
tomorrow! (friday). ;)

Happy for you Mikeeey! You've been here since the beginning of the thread so it's certainly time for you to start enjoying your new toy like the rest of us! Good luck tomorrow...you won't be disappointed! :wub:

Guest mikeeey
Happy for you Mikeeey! You've been here since the beginning of the thread so it's certainly time for you to start enjoying your new toy like the rest of us! Good luck tomorrow...you won't be disappointed! ;)

haha thanks! ive been waiting since late 2006 when it was just a rumor.

I should be getting it in a few hours. il post back when i get it.

Guest mikeeey
Happy for you Mikeeey! You've been here since the beginning of the thread so it's certainly time for you to start enjoying your new toy like the rest of us! Good luck tomorrow...you won't be disappointed! ;)

haha thanks! ive been waiting since late 2006 when it was just a rumor.

I should be getting it in a few hours. il post back when i get it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.