Orange SPV M700 and Skype 2.1

Guest JamesCC

Guest JamesCC

I'm looking into buying this phone, and I have two features I'm looking at in particular.

I've never used Skype on a mobile and my last smartphone was an SPV 200. It was early days - not a particularly joyous device for me, and I'm now out of touch with how things are today.

Firstly, How good is the SPV M700 for running Skype? I have heard that the current version does not work, but the previous (2.1 version does). Does this version of skype work without a headset? Does it work with the wired headset? Does it work with a bluetooth headset? Are the any limitations this version has (w.r.t voice) over the PC version?

Secondly, MP3 / AAC (itunes files) playback. What is the audio quality like through the headphones? And in the media player, can you easily select an album to play (or does it run all the tracks into one long list)?

And an extra bonus question :) - Are there any issues with Wifi WPA Encryption?

Thanks. Hoping that this phone is a good as it sounds.

JamesCC

Guest pugzi

Hi James,

All i can confirm is that skype worked. I used it solidly in Thailand in the hotel with no problems whatsoever. However, it ONLY works the phones main speaker. You cannot do it over headphones. Thats why skype pulled the plug on supporting the M700 i think. To be honest it's not so loud that the people in the lobby hear your call. It worked just like normal really, i.e using the phone to your ear. I was very pleased and still use it today, even at home when I can't be bothered to head to the computer. Quality of line was usually great, but say 1 in 15 calls would need a re-dial because of the line quality.

Good luck

Steve

Guest Terminal
Thanks Steve. Anyone have any comments about using it as an audio player?

once you have applied the bass fix the M700 is a great audio player. I use mine with TCPMP which although cant deal with video has no problem with audio and is far superior to windows media player.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest cyberjunk
once you have applied the bass fix the M700 is a great audio player. I use mine with TCPMP which although cant deal with video has no problem with audio and is far superior to windows media player.

Hi Terminal,

Love to know ; -- this 'bass fix' can be got! ;)

I ended up buying pair of bluetooth phones coz wired sound was so awful!

Mind you, they're so sweet, I'd recommend wireless stereo to everyone :wub:

Cheers

Guest OzzMosiz
Hi Terminal,

Love to know ; -- this 'bass fix' can be got! ;)

I ended up buying pair of bluetooth phones coz wired sound was so awful!

Mind you, they're so sweet, I'd recommend wireless stereo to everyone :wub:

Cheers

Cyber, if you need the Bass fix, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll mail it over.

Here is Skype 2.1 and the bass fix (three cab files) .

For Sype, unzip and run the .exe from your PC ( i think).

As for the bass fix, unzip and you'll see three cab files. Transfer them ALL to your phone. Then, on your phone, find em then install/run/open them, BUT in the correct order otherwise you'll have a white screen horror. HTC Certs first, then SdkCerts then do a soft reset. Then install HTC WaveDev. The HTC WaveDev is the LAST file to install!!

Good luck (hope I have broken any rules)

Steve

SkypeForPocketPC2_1.zip

Base_Fix.zip

Hi James,

All i can confirm is that skype worked. I used it solidly in Thailand in the hotel with no problems whatsoever. However, it ONLY works the phones main speaker. You cannot do it over headphones. Thats why skype pulled the plug on supporting the M700 i think.

I use Skype on the M700 with the supplied headphones all the time.

Here is Skype 2.1 and the bass fix (three cab files) .

For Sype, unzip and run the .exe from your PC ( i think).

As for the bass fix, unzip and you'll see three cab files. Transfer them ALL to your phone. Then, on your phone, find em then install/run/open them, BUT in the correct order otherwise you'll have a white screen horror. HTC Certs first, then SdkCerts then do a soft reset. Then install HTC WaveDev. The HTC WaveDev is the LAST file to install!!

Good luck (hope I have broken any rules)

Steve

Worked like a charm in my HTC P3600i too with both Skype and you bass fix.

Thanks a million. I was fooled by Skype's description of not supporting P3600 with Skype and almost gave up. thanks for reviving my Skype.

SeaPea

Guest khurram41

Guys, The Skype 2.2 for Pocket PC works great on Trinity (spv m700) which is latest & available from www.skype.com, But honestly forget about Skype & use Fring instead available free at www.fring.com, unlike Skype; Fring lets you Chat & Voice Chat with your buddies online on any MSN, GoogleTalk, ICQ, SIP, & last but not least Skype as well; moreover it supports skypein & skypeout calls as well. Voice quality is excellent & you can use it not only via WIFI but through your network as well (Data tarrif recommended). Try its one of the best PPC software. ;-)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest JonnyAlpha
Trying Fring now as the HTC certs doesn't install for Skype anymore for some reason.

I read this post and rushed off to find "Fring" - it seems to be an excellent application, I`d been looking forward to getting MSN Messanger on my phone and Fring does it all!!

Anyway Iv`e installed it and MSN works fine, I do have a problem with VOIP though!!

I set up a second skype account on my PC and configured skype in Fring, when I make a call I cannot hear anything on the phone but my voice can be heard by the other caller!!

Any ideas?

Ta

Guest JonnyAlpha
I read this post and rushed off to find "Fring" - it seems to be an excellent application, I`d been looking forward to getting MSN Messanger on my phone and Fring does it all!!

Anyway Iv`e installed it and MSN works fine, I do have a problem with VOIP though!!

I set up a second skype account on my PC and configured skype in Fring, when I make a call I cannot hear anything on the phone but my voice can be heard by the other caller!!

Any ideas?

Ta

Sorry - I was having a blonde moment - answer = "Turn the Volume Up" for some reason in Fring it was set to 0 by default??

• 1 month later...
Guest msiviter

Fring works great but it doesn't solve the tinny bass problem with wmp etc TCPMP works as it's got an equaliser but the bass fix is still really needed.

Any fixes?

• 2 months later...