USB External hard drive not being recognised by PC

Guest Chiz

My PC froze. I turned it off at the base and it wouldn't boot up.

Started it in Safe Mode and did a system restore to last Sunday.

All working fine now apart from uTorrent saying "Error: Can't open .torrent file: F:\torrent............"

So no access to any of my music, photo's.......

My Computer does not show up the F: drive (the external one) like it did this morning.

Anyone got any ideas of why this might be and how I could sort it out?

Thanks

Edited by Chiz

Guest OzzMosiz

I'm assuming your external drive was set-up prior to the system restore?

Did you need to install any software or was it plug n play?

You could goto Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add Hardware and see if your machine will detect it as the first thing to do.

I'm assuming your external drive was set-up prior to the system restore?

Did you need to install any software or was it plug n play?

You could goto Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add Hardware and see if your machine will detect it as the first thing to do.

Yeah set up before

Plug and play - USB (added that to the thread title now)

Will do - thanks

EDIT: Tried your last point and it didnt detect it. Any other ideas? I am going to try it again later as I had had a few beers yesterday and might have missed something.

Edited by Chiz

Touching it, it doesn't feel like anything is moving

listening there is an clicking sound that repeats itself.

Does that mean it is dead? :)

Has anyone ever had any data recovered from a busted external or internal HDD?

Guest Disco Stu

My next guess would be to try a different USB port before running the Add Hardware wizard though I'd be as doubtful as you sound that this would work.

I remember when I bought mine that the reviews talked about sending the xHDD back to the manufacturer who may be able to recover the data. Problem is they were saying it costs something like $400.

I've been intending to buy a second one myself to use as a back-up device.

yeah I will have 2 in the future.

But now got all my music, photos and other docs stuck on that one.

Will be well annoyed if I cant get it off, photo's mainly. :)

The update is.

I went to the bloke down my road that does computer support stuff.

He said it could be the case or the hard drive.

When he heard the clicking he said he feared the worst.

After he finally broke into the aluminum case he got the HD out and linked it up to something directly to his PC.

"It's spinning" he said. Then it showed up on his PC as a USB device and started scanning or whatever all the files.

So everything is still on it. Just now need to decide whether to:

1. Put it in a new external case

2. Put it inside my PC

3. Buy a new external and transfer the date off it to it.

He said it was the Voltage Bar I think that was the problem.

Thanks for all your help, comments with this

Guest OzzMosiz

Glad to see you've made progress. Ironically I've had a similiar issue with an external drive on my PC not working today - was the USB to mini-USB cable being duff.

Guest Disco Stu

Good to hear you've still got your files.

My ironic tale is that I had a lot of trouble with online storage last night. Inspired by your woes I thought I'd better check my back-ups on AOL's xDrive and update as necessary. Experienced total PC freeze-up twice and will now have to spend time rechecking to see exactly what has survived at the other end. Although I've still got the original files on my external HDD I think I may have lost some of the online copies.

Possibly even more ironic is that the files I was transferring last night are MP3 copies of vinyl records that had to be rescued from a flooded cellar ! :)

Good to hear you've still got your files.

Yeah it does look like that are on there but wont know until is link it up to my PC and check it.

My ironic tale is that I had a lot of trouble with online storage last night. Inspired by your woes I thought I'd better check my back-ups on AOL's xDrive and update as necessary. Experienced total PC freeze-up twice and will now have to spend time rechecking to see exactly what has survived at the other end. Although I've still got the original files on my external HDD I think I may have lost some of the online copies.

Possibly even more ironic is that the files I was transferring last night are MP3 copies of vinyl records that had to be rescued from a flooded cellar ! :)

Oh no - that's not a good story. Hope your stuff all works out.

I hadnt really thought about online storage. Maybe that is something else I could use to back up what I have, along with probably buying another external drive and possibly a DVD RW. I better start saving. :P

Glad to see you've made progress. Ironically I've had a similiar issue with an external drive on my PC not working today - was the USB to mini-USB cable being duff.

I did test another cable and that didnt work either.

One thing the PC bloke said after he had ripped the hard drive case to bits was that "maybe it could have been the power supply" (from mains to the drive case). Great! - why not test that first.

Anyway never mind at least (I think) I have recovered the files on it.