Problem With Direct Push on T-Mobile

Guest StuBFrost

Guest StuBFrost

Hi,

I have been using direct push of Exchange data for several months on T-Mobile with no problem but for the past couple of weeks I have been getting constant problems where activesync says "waiting for network" and never reconnects. If I force a sync it doesn't work until i do a soft reset and it starts working again.

The odd thing about it is that it only seems to be doing this on GPRS. If I leave it on 3G it is fine.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Stu

Guest chucky.egg

Odd, I have the same problem on my Samsung I600 (Smartphone WM5) and had put it down to bad weather here.

Works fine on 3G, fails a lot on GPRS.

I resorted to using 3G in the office (good signal here) and 30 minute sync schedule on GPRS at home.

I think a call to T might be in order.

Guest Happy Dave
Odd, I have the same problem on my Samsung I600 (Smartphone WM5) and had put it down to bad weather here.

Works fine on 3G, fails a lot on GPRS.

I resorted to using 3G in the office (good signal here) and 30 minute sync schedule on GPRS at home.

I think a call to T might be in order.

strangely today as well my email has given up, browsing works fine but all email accounts are stuck at connecting, although they connect fine on wifi and have worked OK for the last 9 months. Can they be blocking the POP / Exchange ports or something?

Guest StuBFrost
strangely today as well my email has given up, browsing works fine but all email accounts are stuck at connecting, although they connect fine on wifi and have worked OK for the last 9 months. Can they be blocking the POP / Exchange ports or something?

I have now rebooted my server, my router, hard reset my phone and it still won't work.

I guess a call to T-Mobile is next.....

Stu

Guest chucky.egg

I'm on the phone with T CS now.

Expected to get fobbed off with "must be bad coverage" but no! they're putting me on to Tech Support

I don't expect an answer right away, but at least they're looking!

Guest chucky.egg

Hmmm

The (very very nice) lady in Tech Support said it's because of "the bandwidth needed to sync with an Exchange server". I thought Exchange ActiveSync was actually quite traffic-light, but what do I know.

Her reasoning was that "because of the greater bandwidth on 3G it's more likely to work, and you're more likely to have timeouts on GPRS because of the slower speeds". "on GPRS if the cell is busy as it splits available capacity between active users" so it slows everyone down when busy and AS fails.

On a personal note (not that personal, it's safe to read)

She checked my home post code and said that the (one and only!) cell that covers a HUGE area around me gets a lot of GPRS use and has lots of dropped calls too. That's not so reassuring. If "my" cell goes there's no others around that would reach me. I'm going to have to look at other networks I think.

Guest Happy Dave
Hmmm

The (very very nice) lady in Tech Support said it's because of "the bandwidth needed to sync with an Exchange server". I thought Exchange ActiveSync was actually quite traffic-light, but what do I know.

Her reasoning was that "because of the greater bandwidth on 3G it's more likely to work, and you're more likely to have timeouts on GPRS because of the slower speeds". "on GPRS if the cell is busy as it splits available capacity between active users" so it slows everyone down when busy and AS fails.

On a personal note (not that personal, it's safe to read)

She checked my home post code and said that the (one and only!) cell that covers a HUGE area around me gets a lot of GPRS use and has lots of dropped calls too. That's not so reassuring. If "my" cell goes there's no others around that would reach me. I'm going to have to look at other networks I think.

strange but thats not my problem as i'm only POP'ing into an exhange server and POP email. Hopefully it will be working gain tomorrow

Guest havok1976

Hi, (first post) I've been having real issues with my exchange account as well, both in central London and at home(Surrey). I clock about a 1mb of data usage in a day so its not that excessive is it? Not so great as I just swapped from a blackberry and paid set up an exchange server with 4smartphone. Same happened in Leeds yesterday.

Guest StuBFrost

I won't bother phoning if that is the reason for the problem although I noticed later on today that I was having connection problems on 3g as well.

It has definitely got worse the last couple of weeks and would seem to me that T-Mobile has maybe oversubscribed their capacity again like when web and walk was first launched.

My contract expires in the next few weeks so if it doesn't get any better I may as well move. I would rather pay a little more and get better connections.

Stu

Guest chucky.egg

@havok - welcome mate. 1Mb/day is not excessive, no

Oversubscribed seems likely

I'm thinking the same as you - affordable data was what I went to T for, but if it's not reliable then ...

Guest havok1976

Mmm, my phone thinks its roaming now? My sync policy is set not to sync when roaming, which it now seems to think it is. Time to call T Mobile up and I've got 11 months to go.

Guest StuBFrost

Hmmm, this morning on 3g seems to be ok so far.

They are still on borrowed time with me. Definitely looking to move to Vodafone now they have more attractive data packages.

Guest UMTSBOI

Hi people,

Im relatively new here and I had the same problem,

there is nothing wrong with t-mobile network, theyre not oversubscribed or any of that rubbish.

You can solve this simply by de-selecting the "This server required an encrypted(SSL) connection in the activesync screen.

To be honest, tmobile would loose me as a customer if they blocked something as simple as email access as thats all I use web n walk for pretty much.

Try it, it worked for me, hope it works for you, so let me know how you get on

Andy

Guest cherylmeek

I am based in Central London for work and home is Middlesex/Surrey borders. I got my Touch device on Weds evening and set up exchange push email and a POP3 personal email straight away.

All seemed fine until yesterday until on the way home from work. It seemed to stop and not start again. Restarting, etc had no effect. I got up today and tried again before I called T CS. It worked at 8:00am at home then seemed to stay connected but would not sync shortly after. I left it a while un touched and nothing. I then tried to manually sync my pop3 email bingo it worked, so I tried the exhange and alas nothing. So I disconnected the data connection and hey presto it reconnected immeadiately sync'd and has sync'd several times since typing this post.

Observations so far :

If the problem is there is that it can sit for ages and on the active sync connection it just says "Connected" and eventually at the bottom, "waiting for network." This can be many minutes and there is no sync activity.

If it connects fine it should just do it's thing quite quickly give the Last Connection Date/Time where it said connected.

I have since sync'd automatically 3 times in the last half hour but currently am now on the "Connected" Screen indicating that I have stopped working. But 5 mins later it syncs...Congestion is my synopsis.

T CS incidentallly checked the cell and said "it's up and has not had an issue", but no details of capacity.

A few months ago I had this on a different WM device on T-Mob & Orange SIMs and was not seeing the issues, but I was not a regular user at that time and it was not my primary device. (Had a BB too)

Guest StuBFrost
Hi people,

Im relatively new here and I had the same problem,

there is nothing wrong with t-mobile network, theyre not oversubscribed or any of that rubbish.

You can solve this simply by de-selecting the "This server required an encrypted(SSL) connection in the activesync screen.

To be honest, tmobile would loose me as a customer if they blocked something as simple as email access as thats all I use web n walk for pretty much.

Try it, it worked for me, hope it works for you, so let me know how you get on

Andy

I don't think I will be doing that since I don't want all my personal data going across the network unencrypted.

Guest chucky.egg

Based on some inside knowledge, or assumption?

Nope, that hasn't worked for me.

Guest atomickarma
Based on some inside knowledge, or assumption?

Nope, that hasn't worked for me.

hasn't exactly worked for me either, I'm getting a very slow email down now - its taken at least 5 minutes!

I just stayed with tmob as well, I wasn't having any issues until this week. Pretty disappointing.

How would tmob deal with a complaint on this issue?

Guest Happy Dave
hasn't exactly worked for me either, I'm getting a very slow email down now - its taken at least 5 minutes!

I just stayed with tmob as well, I wasn't having any issues until this week. Pretty disappointing.

How would tmob deal with a complaint on this issue?

mines up and working agai now, but seems to be only working on GPRS not 3G, no idea what would cause that

Guest Paul (MVP)

OK, so my wife and I both had intermittent push issues yesterday. In fact, we couldn't sync via GPRS with Exchange at all (4smartphone), unless we used WiFi.

P

Guest Jasonkruys

I had very similiar problems a couple of months ago...4smartphone and T-Mobile..

After consideration, I switched to 1&1, as when they (4smartphone) had the problems a while ago, it took them 7 weeks to restore my mailbox from the backups. I quite often had problems syncing with 4smartphone, which seemed to be just because it was so slow..

Since I have been with 1&1 (with T-Mobile) I havent had any problems at all, including now. Also worth noting, that because I am using a less-than-official WM6 ROM, my universal is set to GPRS only, as there are still issues with UMTS hanging with the didgy WM6 Roms..

So, in summary (phew!): Using Direct Push, with T-Mobile, GPRS only, in a 2 bar (gprs only) coverage area with no problems at all.

Could it be 4smartphone? or the route between T-Mob and 4smartphone servers?

Guest Confucious

I have my own exchange server and have had no problems. Good 3G reception in Woking and At home in Mid sussex, drops to GPRS on train in some places but have always received emails.

Guest tasman

Using GPRS on T-Mo + Direct Push to a 4Smartphone Exchange server, has been ok for me recently, but I did notice that my Wizard was "roaming" last night while sitting in its dock at in the UK ;) , how's that work then ?

Guest chucky.egg

My Exchange is with 1&1, which works fine over my PC even when the phone is "Waiting for network", so I'm confident it's not a problem at the server end.

I downloaded the GPRS settings from T last night, which I've just tested. They are different (username and password) to what I was using but don't fix the problem.

Everything I've seen does seem to point to bandwidth issues, which could affect 3G almost as easily as GPRS. Assuming it is bandwidth then the GPRS will be closer to the minimum requirement, and so more prone to fail when there are more users and therefore less bandwidth for "you". That could happen on 3G as well, but drop would need to be greater for AS to reach the point at which it can't sync.

The question for me is "is this a show stopper?"

I went to T for the data prices, and it made my Smartphone what I always wanted it to be. Now I need to decide whether reliable data is worth changing networks for. Vodafone seem the only viable alternative on price, but I need to check what I'm using and whether 120Mb is enough.

Guest chucky.egg

I just used Sitefinder to map cell sites in my area and Orange came out WAY ahead of the others for site numbers (not the same thing as coverage, but a reasonable indicator)

/me bangs head on table