HTC TyTN II Annoyances

Guest AwJm

Guest Nick Le Lievre
I give up. I really do. As mentioned previously, this is a total oxymoron - it's like saying "my car works perfectly and doesn't overheat - as long as I stop every 5 miles to let it cool down and to top up the radiator".

On what basis do you claim this? You clearly have no grounding in technical or hardware as if you did, you'd have just sent the device back by now. So why make such baseless and irrelevant statements as this? If you have a hardware problem (e.g., bad solder, dodgy memory chip, something like that) then there's a fair chance that it will completely fail at some point.

Still, you know best, eh? ;)

Ok I accept that there maybe a fault with my device I`m going to run it without soft resets over the next 5 days. If its going to SOD again it should do so within that 5 days as the longest I went last time was 3 days. I have 28 days to return it to expansys that means I have untill Wednesday 3rd to arrange return. I am doing things slightly differently then I was in the first 6 days. I`ll let you know what happens.

EDIT: Just checked expansys T&C it seems you only have 21 days to return an item for refund/replacement outside that it has to go back to the manufacturer for repair which means I have untill tommorow to arrange a return... what do you reckon?

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest rickyburke
Ok I accept that there maybe a fault with my device I`m going to run it without soft resets over the next 5 days. If its going to SOD again it should do so within that 5 days as the longest I went last time was 3 days. I have 28 days to return it to expansys that means I have untill Wednesday 3rd to arrange return. I am doing things slightly differently then I was in the first 6 days. I`ll let you know what happens.

EDIT: Just checked expansys T&C it seems you only have 21 days to return an item for refund/replacement outside that it has to go back to the manufacturer for repair which means I have untill tommorow to arrange a return... what do you reckon?

Log the fault with them within the 21 days and you should be ok. But tell them that in the email you send them.

Try it for a few days without the soft resets, see what happens and replace if it still plays up.

Thats what I'd do.

Guest Webreaper
Log the fault with them within the 21 days and you should be ok. But tell them that in the email you send them.

Try it for a few days without the soft resets, see what happens and replace if it still plays up.

Thats what I'd do.

Send it back and get another one, and see if they'll cop the cost of the return too if it's faulty. If the replacement turns out to have the same issue, then come back here. ;)

Guest Nick Le Lievre

Thats what I'd do.

Yeah as long as I get in my RMA request within 21 days I should be OK regardless of when they recieve it back (within reason). It means I should be able to hold onto it for a few more days to test its stability. I will leave it untill the 1st October at the latest before sending it back, if it goes into SOD before then I`ll send it back earlier of course. I just want to give it one more chance.

Guest Foxhunter123

Someone wrote that during his torture-test he ran the battery down twice a day...!!!

I really am thinking very much in buying this Kaiser when it comes in my country (Denmark) but if you have to charge it every day I might reconsider... Is the batteryperformances really that low...?

Guest dolbe666

Nick,

If your worried about the cost of returning it most RMA returns are picked up via courier and will be done without cost. thats whats happened with the TYTN II I returned that was faulty. devicewire.co.uk handled mine and I was very pleased with the fact they picked it up tuesday afternoon and I got it back thursday morning

Edited by dolbe666

Guest pestekkorna
Use QuickGPS, and then TomTom to warm up the GPS first before you use it in Google Maps. You could try VisualGPSce, but that doesn't seem as quick as TomTom.

I received my tytn II and I already read all the threads on the forum trying to find a hint to solve my "problem".

I can't get GPS to work neither with tomtom (the version included with the device).

I launch Quickgps and everything is fine. After that, I launch TomTom and select the integrate GPS antenna.

IT tells me "no valid gps signal available" (or something like that, the software isn't in english) and it keeps on searching for at least 30 minutes without results.

I checked in the gps settings and it is on com4, hardware port 0 and baude 4800.

where am I wrong?

Thank you for your help!

Peste

Guest dolbe666
I received my tytn II and I already read all the threads on the forum trying to find a hint to solve my "problem".

I can't get GPS to work neither with tomtom (the version included with the device).

I launch Quickgps and everything is fine. After that, I launch TomTom and select the integrate GPS antenna.

IT tells me "no valid gps signal available" (or something like that, the software isn't in english) and it keeps on searching for at least 30 minutes without results.

I checked in the gps settings and it is on com4, hardware port 0 and baude 4800.

where am I wrong?

Thank you for your help!

Peste

are you near a window or outside? if not you wont pickup a gps signal. Ive heard so many people trying to connect to gps as if it was a network signal like gprs ;) . you need to be within linesight of a satellite to pick up a gps signal

Guest pestekkorna
are you near a window or outside? if not you wont pickup a gps signal. Ive heard so many people trying to connect to gps as if it was a network signal like gprs ;) . you need to be within linesight of a satellite to pick up a gps signal

Thank you for your answer. actually I've been using a GPS receiver (connected via bluetooth to the nokia 6680) for 2 years and it kept a gps signal even when I was sitting at the table (2 meters from the window). I could see the bars turning to grey in the gps status of the tomtom but on the tytn II nothing happens. Other thing: is it normal that the gprs connection keeps on turning on and remains active even when downloaing emails has finished (of course I have selected "turn off gprs when finished" option in the settings)? Thank you for your help and answers!

Guest rickyburke

hold the end call button, should disconnect the data connection. ;)

As for the GPS, i dont know, but i have heard that the first time you connect it can take a few MINUTES!!!!!

hold the end call button, should disconnect the data connection. :)

Press & hold doesn't end data session, but lock keypad. This is a new feature in Kaiser.

As for the GPS, i dont know, but i have heard that the first time you connect it can take a few MINUTES!!!!!

This is true and totally normal.

Guest rickyburke
Press & hold doesn't end data session, but lock keypad. This is a new feature in Kaiser.

This is true and totally normal.

Ah cool, I was going on the experience of "unofficial" WM6 Roms which had problems disconnecting from a data session.

Does one tap disconnect the session? or does the Comm Manager actually work? ;)

One tap (of red button, I suppose) - doesn't work. Disconnecting through Comm Mgr - works, but annoyingly asks for confirmation each time :| Personally, I just tap [G]/[3G] icon on top of the screen, and then press 'Disconnect' button.

Guest Everton1878

Starting to get semi annoyed with mine now ;)

A few times in the last couple of days I've gone to use it and it's just totally locked up on me

Usually the case that I hit the power button to bring it out of standby and then launch a program and it hangs

Can still take it in and out of standby by a quick press of the power button but otherwise it's completely unresponsive

I then have to to a soft reset

On my today screen I have the newer version of the HTC Home plugin, Spb Diary and Spb Monitor

Also running Batti

Sorage memory: 78.04MB

Program memory: 64.23MB

Any ideas?

On a side note ActiveSync is really bugging me on both Vista and XP :wub:

Guest Nick Le Lievre
Ah cool, I was going on the experience of "unofficial" WM6 Roms which had problems disconnecting from a data session.

There is a big G symbol along the top of the Today screen and next to it the signal strength bar... when for example a GPRS data connection is active there is also a small g symbol in the signal strength bar as well. All you do to disconnect data connection is tap the big G symbol and it brings up a connection manager where you can just tap disconnect to end the data connection. You don't have to go into comm manager everytime and unhighlight the data connection icon.

During the first 6 days of ownership when I had the SODs I didn't realise how to end a data connection. I thought it could only be done through comm manager so I used to leave the data connection running. It eventually disconnects itself after a few hours. The theory I`m currently working on is that leaving the data connection running results in SODs sometimes.

I`m now running without soft resets but making sure to disconnect the data connection after every use, I`m also not running Wifi as I find very little content available for PPC that needs a Wifi connection... and my FREE unlimited WAP GPRS data plan suffices. Note: Googlemail JAVA application is perfect for checking my POP3 accounts over a WAP only connection and much cheaper then being able to check POP3 directly.

I`ll report back on whether I have another SOD in the next week. I know leaving a data connection running doesn't always result in an SOD its easy to test but maybe it does sometimes. Other then that I can think of no reason why my Tytn II has SODs. If the data connection theory is right it would also explain why I haven't had another SOD since doing the soft resets as I`ve been also disconnecting the data connection during this time also.

Its just a theory my device may still turn out to be faulty. Just over 30hours since last soft reset now...

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest dolbe666
Thank you for your answer. actually I've been using a GPS receiver (connected via bluetooth to the nokia 6680) for 2 years and it kept a gps signal even when I was sitting at the table (2 meters from the window). I could see the bars turning to grey in the gps status of the tomtom but on the tytn II nothing happens. Other thing: Thank you for your help and answers!

sorry if i made it look like you didnt know what you was doing. that was not the intent, its just not easy to gauge how much people know when asking for help

Guest pestekkorna
sorry if i made it look like you didnt know what you was doing. that was not the intent, its just not easy to gauge how much people know when asking for help

No problem at all. I know you didn't mean to be mean ;)

Tonight I will try VisualGPS and see what happens.

For the gprs connection, I managed to close it but the problem remains: each time the ddevice checks my mails, even if it says "disconneted", the connexion keeps going on. NBon a big problem as I have an unlimited connection plan... just a bit annoying for the battery, I guess.

Thank for your answers!

Peste

EDIT: I tried the GPS connection at the bus stop (open space) and everything worked fine after 1 minute of search (even google maps worked perfectly).

Just one last (I hope) question: what about activesync always active? I find everytime in the task manager process list and even after "killing" the process, I find it again after a few moments. I read something about it on pauls' review thread but search button didn't help me and 90 pages to read scare me a bit :wub:

Thank you for your help, again!

Peste

Edited by pestekkorna

Nick & Others (standby of death)

I been have following all your posts over SOD and my wife and i are amazed to find out we are not the only ones with similar problems. We wanted to wait for the rom upgrade that may or may not come but this problem is getting over us, i do not think we can hold any longer. Two devices bought on the same day with similar problem is ashame on the side of HTC. My wife has sworn to have nothing to do with them in future.

I have had almost all the FLAGSHIP pocket pc's from 2003 to date but has never encounted such a disturbing issue.We did all we can i.e soft reset, hard reset, removing and putting the battery back but all to no avail. We even HARD RESET but it did not help.

Nick, be a good guy and return that faulty unit unless you want fellow members to think you are on HTC's pay roll ;) :wub:

Edited by Alkali

Guest Kagenryu
I give up. I really do. As mentioned previously, this is a total oxymoron - it's like saying "my car works perfectly and doesn't overheat - as long as I stop every 5 miles to let it cool down and to top up the radiator".

On what basis do you claim this? You clearly have no grounding in technical or hardware as if you did, you'd have just sent the device back by now. So why make such baseless and irrelevant statements as this? If you have a hardware problem (e.g., bad solder, dodgy memory chip, something like that) then there's a fair chance that it will completely fail at some point.

Still, you know best, eh? ;)

Stop feeding the troll and he will go away. I think he likes the attention. <_<

--

Kage

Someone wrote that during his torture-test he ran the battery down twice a day...!!!

I really am thinking very much in buying this Kaiser when it comes in my country (Denmark) but if you have to charge it every day I might reconsider... Is the batteryperformances really that low...?

I've stopped the extreme tourture test. (Concequently I didn't have the box when I needed the serial number) Today I have been on and off the phone and read up on some news on the web. In 14 hours I have run the battery down to 67% with wifi, buetooth and push email enabled. If I just use it for phone calls I can probably make three days with my use. I'm very happy with the battery life.

In order to run it down twice in one day I had to use the wifi, bluetooth and GPS radios a lot along with a couple of hours of video playback and listening to music. GPS and video kept the screen on and it was at it's brightest setting. SP Timesync was updating the time every 10 minutes and I was also checking pop mail every 5 minutes which kept the data connection active most of the time. I made lots of phone calls took lots of pictures and read part of an e-book.

I would not expect this to be normal use for anybody. It certainly isn't for me. If you need to be able to use a device this way then perhaps this is not the one for you. I am very happy with the TyTN II.

HI- I have just bought a Tytn 2- after waiting 2 weeks to get it through NZ customs! It is all working great except when someone calls me. As soon as a call starts to come in the phone shuts down and restarts. I am able to make calls from the phone without a problem. I can also connect to the internet over 3g.

I am using vodafone New zealand. Does anyone have any ideas about possible solutions.

Guest Foxhunter123
I've stopped the extreme tourture test. (Concequently I didn't have the box when I needed the serial number) Today I have been on and off the phone and read up on some news on the web. In 14 hours I have run the battery down to 67% with wifi, buetooth and push email enabled. If I just use it for phone calls I can probably make three days with my use. I'm very happy with the battery life.

In order to run it down twice in one day I had to use the wifi, bluetooth and GPS radios a lot along with a couple of hours of video playback and listening to music. GPS and video kept the screen on and it was at it's brightest setting. SP Timesync was updating the time every 10 minutes and I was also checking pop mail every 5 minutes which kept the data connection active most of the time. I made lots of phone calls took lots of pictures and read part of an e-book.

I would not expect this to be normal use for anybody. It certainly isn't for me. If you need to be able to use a device this way then perhaps this is not the one for you. I am very happy with the TyTN II.

Ok ;) If this was the way you ran the battery down I'm not that concerned any more - that is most certainly not my everyday use you describe... :wub: Thank you for clearing this up :D and if you can make it last for three days I cannot understand that in some of the danish tests they complain about battery life... (although I still hope there will come a larger battery for this unit soon )

Guest Neil5459
Stop feeding the troll and he will go away. I think he likes the attention. <_<

Kage

Thats rather unfair- Nick has acknowledged a problem, and given a number of pointers as to when it happens and how to prevent it. It is his decision whether or not to RMA it, though most contributors think he should.

If nothing else, it has focussed attention on a real, if possibly small risk of a TyTn II showing similar faults, and there have been enough respondants now with the same problem to suggest it isn't a one-off sample fault in Nick's machine.

Guest Webreaper
Disconnecting through Comm Mgr - works, but annoyingly asks for confirmation each time :|

It doesn't ask on mine - just disconnects when I click it.

Although I don't bother disconnecting my GPRS connection manually. Can't see the point.