HTC TyTN II Annoyances

Guest AwJm

Guest kathryncheng

to all,

has anyone notice that when you change position or sudden movement of tytn II the device seems to have a noticeable flicker or lines especially from ; -- the start taskbar is... can everyone look closely so i could find out if its normal or maybe i have a faulty unit.

thanks to all

Guest Kagenryu

My friend has a Sprint Mogul and his email, sms, etc. notification gets cut off when it goes into standby (ie the majority of the time the phone is in). For example, he uses the Super Mario One Up sound as his notification, and instead of sounding like "ba da ding!" it goes "ba da..." and then it does the "ding!" when you turn it on to look at the message. Anyone else have this problem with the TyTN II? I would think they would have worked this bug out but you never know...

--

Kage

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

to all,

has anyone notice that when you change position or sudden movement of tytn II the device seems to have a noticeable flicker or lines especially from ; -- the start taskbar is... can everyone look closely so i could find out if its normal or maybe i have a faulty unit.

thanks to all

This is normal and just the way the TFT display is refreshing, I see the same thing on my Tytn and see the same effect on my mobile phone as well, it is less/not noticable from front on I find. It's not an issue for me and is only there if look for it.

My friend has a Sprint Mogul and his email, sms, etc. notification gets cut off when it goes into standby (ie the majority of the time the phone is in). For example, he uses the Super Mario One Up sound as his notification, and instead of sounding like "ba da ding!" it goes "ba da..." and then it does the "ding!" when you turn it on to look at the message. Anyone else have this problem with the TyTN II? I would think they would have worked this bug out but you never know...

Seems to work fine with any sound file. I just tried it, sending a text message while it is standby sees it come to life and play the tune.

Regards

Phil

Guest Kagenryu
Hi

This is normal and just the way the TFT display is refreshing, I see the same thing on my Tytn and see the same effect on my mobile phone as well, it is less/not noticable from front on I find. It's not an issue for me and is only there if look for it.

Seems to work fine with any sound file. I just tried it, sending a text message while it is standby sees it come to life and play the tune.

Regards

Phil

Thanks Phil, that is good to know. :wub: Is there a delay in the OS when switching from Portrait to Landscape mode. On the Mogul it is significant, a second or two before it would rotate the display. ;)

--

Kage

Guest Sonicr360

Cannot find Terminal Services installed - found a .cab file to use.... but thought it would have been there by default (Windows Mobile REmote Desktop).

Also, very concerned that I found GPRS/3G was continually connected..... even though I was not using it !!

Not sure if this can be turned off after some idle timeout ?

First of all, thank you so much Evad for running this ;) .

Re the results, they are pretty bad, especially for a recent QVGA device with a supposedly graphics coprocessor.

I'm coming from a 3 year old iPaq using an Intel Xscale at 624Mhz and an ATI chip (with a 3,8" VGA screen), which has been my faithful HQ video player over the last few years. I get around 300% at this resolution, and around 124% in full VGA. And that's with an HQ VGA file @ 1500k/s (the one you used is QVGA @ 650k/s).

For more comparisons with other devices, you can have a look here: http://blogs.shintak.info/articles/11359.aspx

I'm afraid that this (along with the QVGA 2.8" screen) confirms it's not really an option to watch proper VGA Divx on the Kaiser... That's what I expected (and one of the reasons why I bought a Sony TZ11!). I decided to go from PDA+Phone+Desktop replacement laptop+desktop to Kaiser+Ultraportable+desktop.

QVGA files should be almost ok though for those who are used to (and don't mind) lower resolution videos. I bit of stutter (95% of the required minimum speed), but probably watchable. I guess if you're happy to watch films in QVGA, you probably don't mind a bit of stutter.

Thanks again!

I'm planning to watch a lot of video on the device, so this is a concern for me.

Hiw signifcant is this problem? Could it be the speed of the microSD card that the video is on that is affecting this?

Tony

Guest MiniOrganMorgan

After a weekend with my new Tytn II, I've noted that the screen is very hard to read in direct sunlight compared with my old iPaq hw6515 and also the camera delay is extremely slow.

Guest jjimenezjj

Two major things:

1. Phone call ends and the screen goes into locked mode and is dimmed. Only way to get out of it is a reset.

2. When I slide open the device, the keyboard backlight comes on ;)... BUT if I dont use the keyboard for a while the backlight goes off. Normally, I would just press a button and it would "relight" again. After the second day, it wouldn't "relight" again when a button was pressed so I have to close and open again to "relight" :wub:

John J:)

Two major things:

1. Phone call ends and the screen goes into locked mode and is dimmed. Only way to get out of it is a reset.

2. When I slide open the device, the keyboard backlight comes on ;) ... BUT if I dont use the keyboard for a while the backlight goes off. Normally, I would just press a button and it would "relight" again. After the second day, it wouldn't "relight" again when a button was pressed so I have to close and open again to "relight" :D

This sound like a defective uni t :wub:

I'm planning to watch a lot of video on the device, so this is a concern for me.

Hiw signifcant is this problem? Could it be the speed of the microSD card that the video is on that is affecting this?

Tony

It is quite significant if you plan to watch HQ encoded DivX (ie VGA @ 1500kb/s) and/or if, like me, you have a collection of hundreds of such files and can't be asked to re-encode them to fit the device, especially because you plan to watch them on a device with a proper resolution/screen size (ie VGA PDA, laptop, etc)...

It is less of a problem if you plan to encode files to fit the resolution/power of the device, as you can make them in such a way that they will conform to the power of the Kaiser in order to deliver smooth playback (ie around 600kb/s in QVGA). This can still provide a decent quality, especially on a qvga 2,8" screen (which wouldn't use a VGA resolution anyway). But don't expect to watch them on a laptop!

To get back to the poor video perf of the Kaiser, it could be SD related, which is why I was cheekily asking in another thread for a benchmark of the microSD card (r/w). There could be a bottleneck in the way the device reads/write to the card, or the card itself could be slow (although I don't think a microSD could be THAT slow, as it has to be recent and less than 650bk/s for data would be appalling). More likely it is the CPU/GPU, which is too slow to decode the video stream fast enough to keep up.

Edited by Manni01

Hi

After a weekend with my new Tytn II, I've noted that the screen is very hard to read in direct sunlight compared with my old iPaq hw6515 and also the camera delay is extremely slow.

The Tytn 2 does not have a transreflective display (despite sites like Clove and Expensys saying it has), which means the brighter the daylight, the harder it will be to read. Transreflective displays which is what your iPaq has, will take bright external light and reflect it back to you through the display. With these displays you tend to find they look a bit metalic in bright light/sunlight because of this reflection but it is completely usable.

A pros/cons of these displays is here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,104445/article.html

Regards

Phil

Edited by Phil_UK

Guest SierraDelta
Two major things:

2. When I slide open the device, the keyboard backlight comes on ;) ... BUT if I dont use the keyboard for a while the backlight goes off. Normally, I would just press a button and it would "relight" again. After the second day, it wouldn't "relight" again when a button was pressed so I have to close and open again to "relight" :wub:

1. Not correct - Off/On will do as well, but you know that already (saw your post in the other thread)

2. Go to Settings -> Buttons -> Backlight Tab and untick the auto backlight sensor optin, that'll do it.

Cheers,

Søren

Hi

Go to Settings -> Buttons -> Backlight Tab and untick the auto backlight sensor optin, that'll do it.

It's really odd and a shame they don't move the sensor upfront some; -- and also use it for adjusting the TFT brightness for ambient like conditions.

Regards

Phil

Guest NuShrike
The Tytn 2 does not have a transreflective display (despite sites like Clove and Expensys saying it has), which means the brighter the daylight, the harder it will be to read.
Well this is a certainly a HUGE step down from the TyTN since that does have a transreflective display, albeit not a LED backlit display. Maybe we can do a screen swap with the TyTN?

Are you sure? Even the HTC literature says TFT LCD with LED backlight.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest Dark_Neo
It is quite significant if you plan to watch HQ encoded DivX (ie VGA @ 1500kb/s) and/or if, like me, you have a collection of hundreds of such files and can't be asked to re-encode them to fit the device, especially because you plan to watch them on a device with a proper resolution/screen size (ie VGA PDA, laptop, etc)...

It is less of a problem if you plan to encode files to fit the resolution/power of the device, as you can make them in such a way that they will conform to the power of the Kaiser in order to deliver smooth playback (ie around 600kb/s in QVGA). This can still provide a decent quality, especially on a qvga 2,8" screen (which wouldn't use a VGA resolution anyway). But don't expect to watch them on a laptop!

Has anyone benchmarked other video formats? While naturally most people would prefer to use DivX, I personally wouldn't mind recoding to MPEG (I'm not an expert with video formats but isn't MPEG compressed lighter than DivX - therefore less work for the processor + GPU?)

Guest jjimenezjj
1. Not correct - Off/On will do as well, but you know that already (saw your post in the other thread)

2. Go to Settings -> Buttons -> Backlight Tab and untick the auto backlight sensor optin, that'll do it.

Cheers,

Søren

1. Maybe im confused, isnt a "reset" turning the power completely off and then turning it back on again? That was the only way to solve my problem the FIRST time it happened... actually even that wouldn't work so I had to unlock the sim card door and then it shut off. After than, anytime it happened again, all I had to do was hit the power button until the screen went off and then hit it again to come back on and it was fixed :|

2. Thanks, that did it perfectly... im still kinda new at this (as you can tell). YAY!!!

Guest dolbe666

Well mine is going back tomorrow as an RMA exchange as it was a faulty device, I'll be getting a new one sent out. the good people at devicewire.co.uk where very helpfull and very quick to issue my RMA. they even promiced a 3 day turnaround on the exchange so ill have a new TNTN II back in my hands thursay morning

Edited by dolbe666

Well mine is going back tomorrow as an RMA exchange as it was a faulty device, I'll be getting a new one sent out. the good people at devicewire.co.uk where very helpfull and very quick to issue my RMA. they even promiced a 3 day turnaround on the exchange so ill have a new TNTN II back in my hands thursay morning

What problems you had with it ?

Guest Neil5459
Well this is a certainly a HUGE step down from the TyTN since that does have a transreflective display, albeit not a LED backlit display. Maybe we can do a screen swap with the TyTN?

Are you sure? Even the HTC literature says TFT LCD with LED backlight.

Transreflective and TFT are not the same thing- TFT means Thin Film Transistor.

Quote HTC: What type of screen do the devices have? Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) is the technology used for flat-panel displays on computers, Pocket PCs, and other devices. Thin Film Transistor (TFT) is an LCD panel that uses one transistor for each pixel (picture element). This design allows all Pocket PCs to offer a bright colour display that responds quickly and is energy efficient. Some models also have backlit "transflective" TFT displays for maximum visibility in low light.

But they don't specify which ones are transreflective!

Guest SierraDelta
1. Maybe im confused, isnt a "reset" turning the power completely off and then turning it back on again? .....

Sorry, I thought you meant a soft reset in the original post ;)

Nevertheless - this one definitely needs fixing!

Cheers,

Søren

Guest NuShrike
Transreflective and TFT are not the same thing- TFT means Thin Film Transistor.
You're right. I got that confused, and partially only because the 8525 in my local Cingular store IS transreflective so I expected the same from the successor.

I did another TCPMP benchmark, using GDI display driver:

TCPMP Version

Subtitle Edition

0.81RC1 Beta Benchmark Results

Average Speed				  134.88%

Video Frames				   3635

Audio Samples				  6703595

Amount of Data				 12020 KB

Bench. Time					1:52.293

Bench. Frame Rate			  32.37

Bench. Sample Rate			 59698

Bench. Data Rate			   877 kbit/s

Original Time				  2:31.459

Original Frame Rate			24.00

Original Sample Rate		   44100

Original Data Rate			 650 kbit/s

URL							\My Documents\RL_MQB_320x240_512_128.avi

Size						   12308480

Platform					   PocketPC

OS Version					 5.02

OEM Info					   Kaiser

Clock speed					395 Mhz

Video output				   GDI 240x320 16bits Lookup

Video zoom					 320x240 -> 240x320

Audio output				   Wave Output 44100Hz 16Bits 2Ch.

I really like it especially the GPS sensitivity and more usable battery life (both poor on my otherwise excellent Nokia E90).

Annoyances:

- Keyboard slides out from the opposite side to the TyTN so the d-pad is now on the left rather than the right. I was so used to using my right thumb on the tyTn so now have to get used to it. This is minor though.

- Very hard to see the screen in daylight especially trying to see the unlock function. this is the biggest problem for me.

- Keyboard not quite as tactile as the TyTn but again, just a case of getting used to it.

- Still a bit big and heavy for jeans and a t-shirt but just bought a Nokia 6120 (slim S60) and installed Roadsync push email as my weekend or evening phone.

Overall, I really like the TyTN II and its my main device.