Site Notice - We are currently investigating an issue with missing download links. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. PaulOBrien

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ad blocking

59 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

MoDaCo is an advertising supported site. Recent research carried out by me shows that over 10% of MoDaCo visitors use ad blocking software.

If this includes you, and you find MoDaCo valuable, please consider disabling your ad blocking software on our site!

P

Posted · Report post

What about another promo/competition, perhaps only for Plus members (don't worry, I don't normally enter!) to encourage take up?

I'd be happy to donate something along the lines of the Innovations comp from way back when...

Posted · Report post

If this includes you, and you find MoDaCo valuable, please consider disabling your ad blocking software on our site!

No, as I'm a PLUS subscriber. Can't you detect that too ? ;-)

Posted · Report post

Plus is ad free anyway

Posted · Report post

Damn now I need to install Greesemonkey to hide the bar at the top.

Posted · Report post

;)

Posted · Report post

;)

Just teasing.... but surely the wording on the bar is wrong. It should be "Please consider" if you give us an option to hide the bar (ie - consider, but decide against your suggestion), or just be truthful and put something along the lines of "Turn it off now you mofo"

Posted · Report post

Er, no... I say 'please consider it' I don't say 'please consider it and i'll remove this bar'...?

For those wondering what on earth we're on about, this is what adblock users see on modaco:

adblock.jpg

P

Posted · Report post

Meh I guess its just preference. Please consider makes it sounds optional with no other long term hindrance, but I see your point.

Posted · Report post

I think you're still missing the point that ads pay for the site, and if everyone used adblock, there would be no site...

P

Posted · Report post

Funky script - is it widely available?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Er….Sorry but I’m not disabling my ad-blocking software for anyone.

I use the Adblock extension for Firefox, as I suspect most people are, and Adblock works using a set of wildcard filters. If I start fiddling with those filters no doubt I will be letting in advertising from the rest of the web too, it’s true I could just disable adblock when I’m viewing MoDaCo, but in the real world that’s a PITA and it just aint gonna happen!

As for the ads themselves, the banners at the top of the page I can live with, once you scroll down a thread they’re gone anyway, the Google ads again I can live with, as they’re only on the main page and don’t appear in the forum, except an occasional banner which is pretty unobtrusive. But those damn vibrant ads, now they are just one of the single biggest annoyances on the web IMO

One final point before I finish, isn't web advertising pay-per-click? and as I have never clicked on an ad. How does my not looking at something I would never use anyway do MoDaCo any harm?

Please don’t read this and think I’m just trying to be provocative because I’m not, MoDaCo is important to me and I hope it’s around for a long time yet, and I will continue to contribute to the community as much as I am able.

Edited by mandt

Posted · Report post

I think you're still missing the point that ads pay for the site, and if everyone used adblock, there would be no site...

P

I do understand that... but I'm not sure what to say next to be honest... I'm not going to stop using adblock plus.... If its any consolation, I would never ever click on an ad anyway, so you've actuallybenefitted from it, by keeping your click ratio up slightly, since I haven't requested any ads.

Posted · Report post

Ads don't just pay per click, there are any different models.

You can click the drop down next to the adblock button and disable on individual sites.

P

Posted · Report post

Funky script - is it widely available?

I wrote it the other day - i'll put it up on my blog when I get a chance.

P

Posted · Report post

Anyone using AdBlock on Firefox, just right click the "AdBlock" text in the bottom right of the window and select "Whitelist this whole site." I just did it and will leave it whitelisted until I decide it has become annoying ;)

Posted · Report post

I'm using IE7 and get the message - I didn't even know I was running any adblock software! let alone dow to disable it. I do find this message a bit annoying, especially as I don't know how to get rid of it.

Posted · Report post

Hmmm, let me check it out confucious ;)

P

Posted · Report post

Just tried IE7 on the missus' machine, seems OK ;)

P

Posted · Report post

Me bad

Ie7pro has an ad blocker! Added modaco to whitelist now!

Posted · Report post

No problemo - as you say, if you are using Firefox/ABP just click on the little red button at the top right of the screen and select Disable for www.modaco.com. The button goes green and you see the ads - they aren't particularly intrusive and if it helps pay the bills......

I'm a new user on this site - it looks good!

Posted · Report post

I am using Firexox without any adblocker but I still got the messsage.

I would be happy to remove any adblocking for Modaco if I knew how.

Posted · Report post

I am using Firexox without any adblocker but I still got the messsage.

I would be happy to remove any adblocking for Modaco if I knew how.

I have a question... its probably pointless but hey....

What is the modaco policy? Say someone refuses to unblock modaco right.... im not talking about someone making a fuss... but just in theory..... is the policy that if you are unwilling to view ads, you should leave modaco?

just interested to know how far this goes etc...

by accessing modaco, are we/I agreeing to view the ads?

(im ignoring moral reasons for now)

Posted · Report post

by accessing modaco, are we/I agreeing to view the ads?

(im ignoring moral reasons for now)

i dont think you separate the two arguments...

at the end of the day, we are a community. in any community, the people that have talents use them as a barter or as some form of legal tender. Paul has established an excellent community that acts as a conduit for a vast number of people skills and experience. In bringing that knwoledge to the internet, costs are incurred. Its not as if there is a direct attempt to commercialize the community, no-one is forced to go Plus or even ad-free but the costs still need to be met.

although i do understand the security implications of allowing ads thru various blockers, i dont block Modaco (never did) and would luv it if i could persuade my wife to let me blow the months nappy budget on a Plus sub.

as far as i am concerned, if Paul (and any others) make a profit from the various Modaco operations, its because they do a bloody good job at making my gadget life a measurable amount better!

Posted · Report post

i dont think you separate the two arguments...

at the end of the day, we are a community. in any community, the people that have talents use them as a barter or as some form of legal tender. Paul has established an excellent community that acts as a conduit for a vast number of people skills and experience. In bringing that knwoledge to the internet, costs are incurred. Its not as if there is a direct attempt to commercialize the community, no-one is forced to go Plus or even ad-free but the costs still need to be met.

although i do understand the security implications of allowing ads thru various blockers, i dont block Modaco (never did) and would luv it if i could persuade my wife to let me blow the months nappy budget on a Plus sub.

as far as i am concerned, if Paul (and any others) make a profit from the various Modaco operations, its because they do a bloody good job at making my gadget life a measurable amount better!

OK, but say he is making a profit. He's making that profit by making me use more of my bandwidth. I don't agree with that, so will leave my blocker as is?

Or... another example... say I joined modaco at the start, and more and more ads appeared on the site, to an extent I was unhappy with, and decided to block them.... should I leave/be banned from the site?

Just playing devils advocate here.....