• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ad blocking

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Or... another example... say I joined modaco at the start, and more and more ads appeared on the site, to an extent I was unhappy with, and decided to block them.... should I leave/be banned from the site?

nah, you can stick around as far as i'm concerned...

just turns you into a total freeloader thats all!!! ;) :D

it is a tricky one. after all, the net's raison d'etre is 'free'dom of information isnt it? but when the actual cost (to you) of using a site is ads, does it really cost you? i appreciate it may slow the download of your latest (as yet unreleased in the UK) Hollywood blockbuster or that latest MP3 download from that dodgy russian site but i see your point... why should anyone pay for anything that is usefull.... :wub:

Edited by Samsonite

Posted

OK, but say he is making a profit. He's making that profit by making me use more of my bandwidth. I don't agree with that, so will leave my blocker as is?

Exactly. Esp for people (e.g. Orange or O2 users) who don't have unlimited data plans :-)

But for Plus subscribers (such as myself) we are supposed to get MoDaCo ad free, but obviously not "anti adblock" banner free.

This is interesting:

http://adblockplus.org/blog/ads-dont-generate-money

Posted (edited)

Exactly. Esp for people (e.g. Orange or O2 users) who don't have unlimited data plans :-)

But for Plus subscribers (such as myself) we are supposed to get MoDaCo ad free, but obviously not "anti adblock" banner free.

This is interesting:

http://adblockplus.org/blog/ads-dont-generate-money

Actually, Paul should just read this instead:

http://blog.studiorockstar.com/2007/adblock-doesnt-scare-me

In fact I've rapidly become more and more pissed off at this entire thread (the topic, not posters) Certainly from my point of view, it will change nothing, and I hope others will also refuse to be pushed into things by stupid banners.

I will be using Greasemonkey to block the anti-adblock stuff, just because I can. Immature? Yes, but if you read into things (find your own links, not just the ones displayed in this thread), Paul is talking absolute arse/greed. I think Modaco's early success went to his head a bit, and while other sites have moved forward, this has stood still. The is just another example of how he is no longer interested in the community, unless it puts money in his pocket.

Please send hatemail somewhere else, because I'm bowing out of this thread now, and probably Modaco too, since I'm completely and utterly disillusioned with the entire setup.

Edited by MARKUKCOUK

Posted

Modaco is a comunity run by Paul - you don't have to turn off your add blocker but it would help if you did, if it p!sses you off that much, don't do it, or leave the forum. You have a choice.

Paul is just pointing out that it woulkd help if you turn your addblocker off. If you don't want to help, fine, but most people want to help which is why they are here in te first place.

I would suggest that you chill out a bit, but that would probably wind you up more - and besides, you are not reading this anyway.... ;)

Posted

I really don't see how people are getting this upset about this ad blocking thread.

Modaco has certainly improved my WinMo experience greatly - not too sure i would have stuck with WinMo if the chap at the Orange shop I got my Mpx200 from didn't tell me about this place.

I have since referred a few people to these pages for advice.

Okay -I'm a plus member so don't get any ads - the problem I have is I do use an ad blocker, therefore I get the bar at the top of my screen - i'd love to bypass the ad blocker for this site - but my knowledge of html is piss poor - I need to know the html string to use to allow ads to be shown for modaco (I feel it would be something with .../ad/... or .../ads/... in it)

p.s. I'm using Norton internet Security

Ricardo

Posted

Please send hatemail somewhere else, because I'm bowing out of this thread now, and probably Modaco too, since I'm completely and utterly disillusioned with the entire setup.

blimey!! didnt think anything on the internet was THAT important....

as for blocking the anti ad-block, where does that end? surely thats a cat and mouse game you could play forever.. i simply dont start with that whole loop and therefore never get stressed by it. I dont think my 'net usage is affected by anything these days - i got decent antivirus (Sophos) and run Adaware every time i remember to and my system has NEVER got a nasty. I have a 512k ADSL circuit and cant really complain about the download speed or surfing experience so i am truly not bothered about the ads and subsequent revenue Modaco (or Paul or whoever) may or may not make!

if i managed to upset ya with my less than serious approach then i apologise (but like the mighty Confucious say - you're probably not reading this...)..

Posted

I will of course remove the adblock alert for Plus members shortly!

P

Posted

Paul is talking absolute arse/greed.

Er, how?

So far as I can work out, nothing i've said is incorrect, or greedy for that matter?

P

Posted

I have limited internet access until Wednesday, hence my short replies, but so far as I can work out, you're saying that by just removing your ad blocker, you won't be contributing? WRONG... some of the advertisments on the site pay CPM, so just by viewing them, you are supporting the site.

P

Posted

I think Modaco's early success went to his head a bit, and while other sites have moved forward, this has stood still.

I disagree ;)

P

Posted

The is just another example of how he is no longer interested in the community, unless it puts money in his pocket.

Au contraire, any one who knows me (and I mean ACTUALLY knows me, rather than just reads my contributions on MoDaCo) will be able to vouch for what I contribute, not just to MoDaCo, but to Windows Mobile as a whole (both community based and other activities).

I spend absolutely ridiculous amounts of time on Windows Mobile related projects both publicly and behind the scenes, and don't be under the mistaken impression that my enthusiasm for Windows Mobile and particularly community, has waned in any way. Quite the opposite!

I do, however, have to pay the bills, and MoDaCo revenue helps contribute towards that!

P

Posted

Paul, most people appreciate what you do. Don't let it get to you.

Posted

Shame markukcouk is no longer participating in this thread, i'm open to debate the topic!

P

Posted

hmm...i'm sure that last "u" in his name should be a "c"...

Posted

Be nice nedge, be nice! ;)

P

Posted

Banner gone for Plus / Ad Free members as promised.

P

Posted

that new Yahoo add you have isnt being picked up by ad-block now anyway.... and i have disabled ad-block ;)

Posted

Oh but that Yahoo 'ad', crafted by my own fair hand, is a work of art ;)

P

Posted

Oh but that Yahoo 'ad', crafted by my own fair hand, is a work of art ;)

P

However, even that CAN be removed by ABP by selecting the element and creating a new filter rule.

* FYI - not only did I jump to click that ad the momment I saw it - I downloaded and tried the software. Unfortunately it doesn't work on my SMT5600 BUT the point is that I gave it the go.

NOW, to add maybe a little fuel to this fire here, I'd like to see what people's opinions are on that matter. I mean I not only SAW the ad, but also clicked it, and now - that specific ad will be useless to me so I've decided to block it with ABP. Am I still leeching or have I played my part?

Posted

Consider Modaco ads unblocked! I don't see a problem with allowing the ads on Modaco considering I'm a non-subscriber. As far as other websites go though, that's a different kettle of fish altogether! ;)

For fellow Kaspersky Internet Security users who wish to do the same, just add '*modaco*' to your whitelist.

Posted

However, even that CAN be removed by ABP by selecting the element and creating a new filter rule.

* FYI - not only did I jump to click that ad the momment I saw it - I downloaded and tried the software. Unfortunately it doesn't work on my SMT5600 BUT the point is that I gave it the go.

NOW, to add maybe a little fuel to this fire here, I'd like to see what people's opinions are on that matter. I mean I not only SAW the ad, but also clicked it, and now - that specific ad will be useless to me so I've decided to block it with ABP. Am I still leeching or have I played my part?

I believe Paul has said he gets paid by the number of people who view the Adds - not on click through, so you are depriving him of money. The choice, of course, is yours but would it hurt you that much to allow the adds on this great site? Just because you CAN block them doesn't mean you have too...

;)

Posted (edited)

Surely the simple solution would be if you hate adds that much and you really want to contribute back into a community that can answer just about any question you can throw at it, (windows mobile or not!) you just sign up for add free or plus??!

It was never a demand, but just a pointer!?

Edited by blackhorse

Posted

Add to whitelist.

Fortunately the ad's on Modaco aren't as intrusive as many other sites that I visit, so I guess I can live with it on here.

Strangely the Yahoo adverts got through my Adblock filters.

Posted

I use add blocking mainly because having an advert between each post is a pain and makes loading the page also slower also the ads that appear here in holland are not the type of adverts i want on my computer , maybe the uk ads are controlled and are ok but the euro ones are not and are of an adult nature.

Posted

We specify no adult ads, so not sure how that happens RR. Also, there are no ads 'between each post'... you sure you're talking about the right site? :( The only ad for logged in peeps in topic is at the bottom of the page of posts.

P