GPS

Guest Goldberg83

Guest Neil5459

The GPS system is free to use, as it gathers its signals from the satellites, just the same as standalone devices.

However, the TyTn II includes a program called QuickGPS which connects to HTC's servers over GPRS and uses phone mast cell location info to download satellite data over the phone, to get a quicker satellite fix.

This does cost money, though the data stream is quite small. Could add up over time though. I think there is a setting in QuickGPS to disable automatic connections.

Guest Webreaper
I think there is a setting in QuickGPS to disable automatic connections.

The data is only a few KB, so if you're on a decent tariff it may not matter. The data is also valid for around 6 days, so you're only likely to need to do this 4-5 times a month.

However, as mentioned, you can disable the QuickGPS auto-download so it won't hit your GPRS unless you want it to. It's quite well-thought-out - there's an option (which I've enabled) so it will always download the QuickGPS data when you ActiveSync, so as long as you sync your device reasonably regularly it'll have the most up-to-date GPS data without costing you a penny. ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest Neil5459
Google maps does cost a small amount when it downloads the maps but the actual tracking you doesnt cost.

Depends how you define 'small amount' ;)

A Google Map screen is about 200KB (as far as I can tell) so if you are on a PAYG Data plan, that could cost around 50-80p. That would soon add up, so beware.

The tracking must use a small amount of data- typically 250KB per hour continuous signal with similar systems, but can be less with a time-lapsed signal.