Paul's MDA Vario III de-Brand (0.3)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Following on from the runaway success of my SPV E650 de-Brand, I am now preparing the same for the MDA Vario III ;)

I'll be updating versions as I de-Brand various bits, but since you're an impatient lot, I figured i'd get SOMETHING out as quick as I could... so here is version 0.1 :wub:

Edit: Version 0.3 already online!

Included in version 0.3

- HTC Home plugin 'Launcher' pinkness replaced with the standard blue

- HTC Home plugin 'Profile' pinkness replaced with the standard blue

- Comm Manager pinkness replaced with the standard blue

- 'wnw' button reverted to standard Pocket IE, regular Pocket IE icon displayed in Settings -> Buttons applet

- Regular Camera icon displayed in Settings -> Camera applet

- Removed custom Start Menu ordering

To follow in future revisions

- Revert Start Menu layout and icons to standard

If you find any more branding that needs sorting, reply here :D

To install, run attached CAB on device. Version 0.1/0.2 users, just install this new version over the top.

P

MoDaCo_MDA_Vario_III_de_Brand_0.3.cab

Guest Sparky77

hi good post

sorry i did'nt get back to you Yes i do live in norwich

NR6 North norwich the signal here is fine,

not sure when i go about my work in the surrounding area's

walsham, bacton, yarmouth, and thetord,

i only say this because of transfering the number people have said "good luck contacting people you will need it"

not sure if it's BS find out monday i guess?

maybe a code from T-Mobile to sim free the phone (Just Incase)

Guest rickyburke

Its coming up as a .php file for me.

downloading from my vario, so i cant change the file extension.

Oh any chance of adding the GPS Camera regedit?

Edited by rickyburke

Guest rickyburke

Ah cool, Ive got the debrand now, emailed it to myself from my work pc. ;)

Thing is, in the tweak pack, some of that has already been coverd by the T-Mobile customisation.

Does it cause any conflicts installing over the top of the Vario III?

Downloaded as a index.php for me too using PIE on my Vario III, a quick trip into total commander (the first thing I installed on the phone when I got it) and that was fixed and the cab installed. The HTC Home plugin looks so much better in the original colours. ;)

Guest LeeJS1

And the Web n Walk button now comes up with the error "Error starting \windows\start menu\messages\messaging.lnk" ;) :wub:

WnW doesn't appear in the buttons config page any more but the IE button does and changing that has no effect.

Guest scouser75

Guys, just ordered my Vario via T-Mobile so doing some prep work in advance ;)

Paul, can I do these tweaks on my Mac G5? Or do I need access to a PC?

Also, being totally IT illiterate, are these tweaks also know as a "de-brand"? Or is the de-brand totally different?

Guest LeeJS1
And the Web n Walk button now comes up with the error "Error starting \windows\start menu\messages\messaging.lnk" ;) :wub:

WnW doesn't appear in the buttons config page any more but the IE button does and changing that has no effect.

OK, this was actually to do with AEButton and not this, but the ringer icon is still pink!

Pinned! Getting somewhat lost amongst the other posts here. Don't forget to update this thread with the latest versions of your de-brander rather than starting a new one... mmmkay!

Guest Phil Lee
OK, this was actually to do with AEButton and not this, but the ringer icon is still pink!

The only time I find the ringer icon is pink is when it is set to off. It is blue when it is on and when set to vibrate on my Vario III after installing the tweak pack.

For the guys (like me) who are having trouble with this, here are the default Kaiser icons, one zip for the Comm manager, one for ther HTC Home plugin

Vario_III_Comm_manager_blue_icons.zip

Vario_III_HTC_Home_blue_icons.zip

Simply unzip 'em to \Windows and overwrite when prompted, You will probably need to use Resco or Total Commander to overwrite the files

Soft-reset and no more pink!!

Edited by mandt

Guest sc0user_75

May I ask for a little help please... before I mess up my new toy ;)

Can someone please give me an idiots guide to carrying out the de-brand.

I've downloaded the zipped files. Do I email the Zip file to myself on the phone and then let the phone do the rest?

Or do I have to Unzip all the files first and then send them to the phone?

Thanks

Ok........Idiot :D

Firstly let me reassure you that you won't mess up your phone, all you're doing is overwriting a pink image with a blue image

Tools you need:

Resco Explorer or Total Commander

you can either unzip the file on your desktop, or send the zip to the phone and unzip it on the phone using the built in zip utility (found in the Start menu), this will probably depend on how you want to send the files. If you email them then leave them zipped and unzip them on the phone. If you connect the phone to your PC using ActiveSync ( or WMDC if you have Vista) then unzip the file on the desktop and copy the individual files over

Either way get the images into a folder in, for example, My Documents

Now using Resco Explorer or Total Commander (that you already installed :wub:) browse to the files and copy them into \Windows, as I said in my post above you will probably get a warning saying they are system files, are you sure blah blah. To which of course you say yes because they are just pictures!!!

now go to Start>Settings>Today>Items and remove the HTC Home plugin, reload it again and it should be all blue ;) If not then a soft reset will sort it

Mine's a Carlsberg :D

Guest Phil Lee

I notice that there isn't a portrait version of the L_vol_off.png icon in the set for Comm Manager. When I set sound to off, and the screen set to portrait, the volume off icon still shows up as pink.

Edit: I made my own ;)

post-7007-1191487236_thumb.png

vol_off.zip

Edited by Phil Lee