Exclusive: nedge Previews... the Asus P750

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
@ ALEX

In the preliminary specifications a FM radio had been listed. Can you confirm that this FM radio is supported?

Thanks,

Le Bodo

I cannot confirm this at present. It most like has but the software is just not part of the ROM yet.

Guest zen123

Nice device. I used an Asus P525 happily for 8 months without any any major problems. It was as good & in some areas better than the the HTC devices available at around the same time (most notably was the superior Broadcomm bluetooth stack that did stereo over bluetooth faultlessly & with very good sound quality).

Now is the Asus P750 a Tytn II killer, more a competitor I think. Spec wise they're on par but I'd choose it over the Tytn II anyday because

- I don't like slide out keypads of any kind

- It'll probably be thinner & smaller

- More suited to one handed use

- I actually prefer the old school joystick over a joypad

As you can see its horses for courses, one mans meat is another mans poison, dadadada....

Oh one more thing for the GPS users out there, the Sirf Star III chip is much more sensitive than the Qualcomm one used in the Tytn II. I borrowed a friends Tytyn II for a week & was running it alongside my O2 Orbit in the car & the Orbit consistently picked up more satellites that the Tytn II & generally held onto the signal more reliably.

Guest david_g

Everyone seems to be overlooking the forthcoming HP Ipaq 914C. Due 31st October.

• WM6 Professional
  • 3MP auto focus camera
  • 3g/HSDPA (7.2 mbs version)
  • WIFI
  • A-GPS (with Google maps and optional HP navigation pack. Guess it takes TomTom fine also)
  • 520 mhz processor
  • Front keyboard (like Treo)
  • Blackberry style track wheel plus stylus
  • Good one handed and two handed use
  • 1840 battery (best bit imho)
  • Decent screen 320 x 240 (thank god, square treo 750 screen is a nightmare)
  • Only 16 mm thick, 146g.

What's not to like? Doesn't seem to be missing anything? ;)

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
Nice device. I used an Asus P525 happily for 8 months without any any major problems. It was as good & in some areas better than the the HTC devices available at around the same time (most notably was the superior Broadcomm bluetooth stack that did stereo over bluetooth faultlessly & with very good sound quality).

Now is the Asus P750 a Tytn II killer, more a competitor I think. Spec wise they're on par but I'd choose it over the Tytn II anyday because

- I don't like slide out keypads of any kind

- It'll probably be thinner & smaller

- More suited to one handed use

- I actually prefer the old school joystick over a joypad

As you can see its horses for courses, one mans meat is another mans poison, dadadada....

Oh one more thing for the GPS users out there, the Sirf Star III chip is much more sensitive than the Qualcomm one used in the Tytn II. I borrowed a friends Tytyn II for a week & was running it alongside my O2 Orbit in the car & the Orbit consistently picked up more satellites that the Tytn II & generally held onto the signal more reliably.

Couldn't agree more ;)

Guest howiebcn

Hi Alex,

Great preview of the P750! Now that you've been using it as your primary device for a few weeks, how's the 1300 mAh battery life holding up in daily usage??

Batter life with heavy GPS usage?

Battery life with heavy HSDPA browsing?

Battery life with normal phone usage?

Battery life with wifi/bluetooh usage?

Currently I'm looking to ditch my Samsung i600 for the Asus P750 or the iPaq 910 (1840 mAh battery). A long battery life is a major consideration for me now as I'm fed up with barely making it to the end of the day with the i600 ;)

Understandably the P750 doesn't have the final ROM but if it has a decent battery life now, it can only get better with the final release right?

Thanks for the heads up!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
Wait, so the gist of this thing being the Kaiser-killer is that you took two strikingly similar PPCs and then decided based on your personal preference for form factor?

That's hardly an effective argument. Well, unless we can call the Kaiser the P750-killer. Someone could say, oh, "Ever since the crop of Smartphone-style Pocket PC devices from Gigabyte, I've longed for feature-packed device that I could use competently with a qwerty keyboard. The Kaiser is it. It has almost every feature I could want, it's sexy looking, light, solid and I've only had to pull out the (full-size) stylus a few times in everyday use."

I'm sorry my four and a half years of experience in this area aren't good enough for you...

In my experience, most people love the idea of a Pocket PC and its functionality but are put off by poor design (i.e. ugly bricks) and the fact that most cannot be used with one hand competently. The P750 is one of the few devices that has taken the opposite approach and actually managed to pull it off. The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of the Kaiser. Oh and for what it's worth, your re-hash of my sentence make absolutely no sense. Do some research ;)

Guest richair
I'm sorry my four and a half years of experience in this area aren't good enough for you...

In my experience, most people love the idea of a Pocket PC and its functionality but are put off by poor design (i.e. ugly bricks) and the fact that most cannot be used with one hand competently. The P750 is one of the few devices that has taken the opposite approach and actually managed to pull it off. The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of the Kaiser. Oh and for what it's worth, your re-hash of my sentence make absolutely no sense. Do some research ;)

Amen, brother! The P750 is indeed what you describe, one-handed ease of use, with PPC flexibility. I almost went for an HTC s730, but I'm holding out now for a P750.

Edited by richair

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
Hi Alex,

Great preview of the P750! Now that you've been using it as your primary device for a few weeks, how's the 1300 mAh battery life holding up in daily usage??

Batter life with heavy GPS usage?

Battery life with heavy HSDPA browsing?

Battery life with normal phone usage?

Battery life with wifi/bluetooh usage?

Currently I'm looking to ditch my Samsung i600 for the Asus P750 or the iPaq 910 (1840 mAh battery). A long battery life is a major consideration for me now as I'm fed up with barely making it to the end of the day with the i600 ;)

Understandably the P750 doesn't have the final ROM but if it has a decent battery life now, it can only get better with the final release right?

Thanks for the heads up!

Unfortunately I got the device only (no car holder), so no heavy GPS usage :wub: With average use it'll last a few days and about one day with heavy hsdpa/wifi usage. I'll do some proper testing when I get the retail unit :D

Guest howiebcn
Unfortunately I got the device only (no car holder), so no heavy GPS usage ;) With average use it'll last a few days and about one day with heavy hsdpa/wifi usage. I'll do some proper testing when I get the retail unit :wub:

Wow, real time feedback...good work! Sounds promising the P750 goes a few days being a pocket pc device. Heavy hsdpa/wifi usage and lasting a day is already way better than the i600.

Btw, can you confirm if it's quadband gsm /triband hsdpa? Thanks.

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
Wow, real time feedback...good work! Sounds promising the P750 goes a few days being a pocket pc device. Heavy hsdpa/wifi usage and lasting a day is already way better than the i600.

Btw, can you confirm if it's quadband gsm /triband hsdpa? Thanks.

At the moment, no but I expect it will be.

Guest Straputsky

Hello,

I have some questions (hopefully they aren't too silly...):

What size is the display? Is it a 2,6" or a 2,8"?

What can you say about Music quality? Can the Mediaplayer handle AAC files? (I plan to use my files I recently bought from iTunes plus store)

How about the headphone connector? Do I need a special adapter or can I use a normal 2,5 to 3,5 adapter?

Is this device small enough to put it in my jeans pocket?

Thanks!

P.S. As you can see I'm not a native speaker, but I hope you can understand my questions.

Guest zen123
Hello,

I have some questions (hopefully they aren't too silly...):

What can you say about Music quality? Can the Mediaplayer handle AAC files? (I plan to use my files I recently bought from iTunes plus store)

How about the headphone connector? Do I need a special adapter or can I use a normal 2,5 to 3,5 adapter?

Thanks!

P.S. As you can see I'm not a native speaker, but I hope you can understand my questions.

Oh yeah another reason I'd get this over the Tytn II, Its got a separate headphone socket. Display size should be 2.8"

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

2.6" if my measurements are correct

Not something i've really looked in to. Will do so in the full review ;)

It has a standard 2.5mm socket

Yep! :wub:

Guest xorangefirex

I think that in most minds this will be a far, far cry from a "Kaiser Killer". Between the lack of a keyboard and no touch screen the phone becomes effectively worthless to a great majority of WM users. On top of that the key pad seems reminiscent of the Nokia N73, my last phone, (which had the the most difficult keypad to do anything on, which is especially sad since I have very thin fingers). At best its features tie that of the kaiser (that is if they upgrade the RAM), and that isn't even really true due to the lack of a qwerty keyboard, and touchscreen, which I mentioned before. Coupled with the fact that there is no guarantee that this will be a world ready (quad-band and tri-band) phone, I think this has no chance of outselling the kaiser unless its significantly cheaper, which by your estimates seems as though it isn't going to happen.

Guest Straputsky

@ Alex

Thank you very much!

@xorangefirex

Why do you claim it has no touch screen? Is that the truth? I thought a device which uses Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional must have a touch screen because this version of windows mobile is especially designed for touch screen devices.

Compared to Kaiser it has a smaller sized Display and no Querty, but offers a higher speed CPU, FM (maybe with TMC support) and a better GPS, a normal 2,5" port for Headphones (and not a special HTC ExtUSB) and a thinner size. I personally like the formfactor too, because its easier to use it as a phone.

But you are right, I wouldn't say it's a Kaiser killer too, because the devices are too different. I compare this device with the IPAQ 614c and hope there will be a review soon. ;)

Edited by Straputsky

I think that in most minds this will be a far, far cry from a "Kaiser Killer". Between the lack of a keyboard and no touch screen the phone becomes effectively worthless to a great majority of WM users. On top of that the key pad seems reminiscent of the Nokia N73, my last phone, (which had the the most difficult keypad to do anything on, which is especially sad since I have very thin fingers). At best its features tie that of the kaiser (that is if they upgrade the RAM), and that isn't even really true due to the lack of a qwerty keyboard, and touchscreen, which I mentioned before. Coupled with the fact that there is no guarantee that this will be a world ready (quad-band and tri-band) phone, I think this has no chance of outselling the kaiser unless its significantly cheaper, which by your estimates seems as though it isn't going to happen.

/cry i have just bought the Kaiser and have to say i am very impressed ;) well i cannot wait to see the final review and if it is anything like my old Asus PDA then i am sold as this never let me down and i loved the full power option rather than the auto some machines have :wub:.

I am going to keep my eye on expansys and it looks like i might have a Kaiser to sell.

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Erm...it has a touchscreen ;)

Guest HerpezP

xorangefirex, the P750 does have a touch screen. It's also running WM6 Professional just like the Kaiser.

I must agree, though, that Kaiser Killer is a little far-fetched, since it's more of a different device (better for some - me for instance ;)) than a "Killer".

Guest mikeeey

guys, check pdadb before even makign assumptions about the device:

http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=804

i personally cant stand a ppc with only a screen, i need a keyboard to do everything.

the joystick looks like itl get stuck like the sp5, does this worry anyone else? thats why i like D-pads, also some allow 8 way presses. aparently the Kaiser lets you do 8 way presses.

Guest Jazzamataz

I hope the Xt9 works better then on the ToshibaG900. It makes the device very slow and the only solution is to remove it via the registry.

Guest zen123

Definately needs 128meg program memory & its the only thing that woud stop me from buying it. I'm confident of Asus as a manufacturer of high quality computer based electronics. The only reason I sold my Asus P525 was because I need built in GPS.

I borrowed a friends Kaiser for a week while he was on vacation & found it to be a good solid device but ultimately too thick & heavy for one handed use as well the less than satisfactory GPS performance.

The new HP 614C also looks very promising so I'll wait for them both to appear & make a choice then.

My O2 Orbit although in perfect working condition is begging to be retired as I've dropped it a few times & is beginning to fall apart.

Guest richair
the joystick looks like itl get stuck like the sp5, does this worry anyone else? thats why i like D-pads, also some allow 8 way presses. aparently the Kaiser lets you do 8 way presses.

Yep, that worries me as well. I have a Qtek 8310, and the joystick still works but not very convincingly most of the time. I wouldn't consider it a deal killer though, especially if the stick turns out to be be solid (unlike the 8310-stick, way too loose from day one).

In the light, it will also be interesting to see how the touch wheel on the iPaq 614 will work. Since this phone is comparably to the P750, this might be a good alternative if the touch wheel is any good.

Anyone seen any reviews already on the iPaq 614?

Guest Spankth

I would like to see a D-ad in this but i doubt the joystick would get stuck. It looks very similar to the joystick in the Asus Jupiter ( O2 Grpahite ) which I've had for about 8 months now, and haven't had any problems with sticking or any at all for that matter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.