Disassemble XDA Orbit

Guest Kermit The Frog

Guest Kermit The Frog

The other week I broke the screen for my XDA Orbit, and was quoted over £140 to replace it, but with some checking on ebay I found the parts for a replacement screen to be about £40, so I wasn't going to pay someone £100 when I was sure it wasn't that difficult to open up my phone.

The following instructions I followed to open it up I took at my own risk, knowing it would invalidate my warranty, if anyone else does follow them then they will do so at there own risk.

As with taking any device apart care should be taken, and don't force it.

I used a T6 Torx screwdriver, a piece of flat strong plastic (other people have suggested old credit cards), and a small flathead screwdriver (but not essential).

1) After taking the battery out I also removed the SIM card, the memory card, and the stylus

2) This picture shows the first screws to remove (circled in red), by using the torx

post-304996-1191780813_thumb.jpg

3) I then levered the hole the stylus fits into, by prising up with the end of the stylus (to remove the back cover)

post-304996-1191780923_thumb.jpg

4) Using the plastic tool I slid it around the edge, being careful not to put to much force into it to remove the rest of the clips around the back cover.

This is a picture of the back cover off with the locations of the clips (note the camera hole for orientation)

post-304996-1191781140_thumb.jpg

5) I then removed the next set of screws (with the torx again)

post-304996-1191781225_thumb.jpg

6) I then removed the middle cover by prising against the front (the front was connected to the circuit), I found if it didn't want to release in one direction, then I would tackle it from the other way round

post-304996-1191781410_thumb.jpg

7) Then to prise off the front cover was straight forward by using the flathead to lever the two clips in red

post-304996-1191781496_thumb.jpg

** The connector circled in yellow is for the front button set, and I didn't need to remove this to change the screen **

8) I then removed the flexi circuit connecting the screen (circled in blue) - I did tear mine, but that is fine for me as the screen was broken anyway, so if I was to do it again I would take more care

This shows the front cover with the clips circled

post-304996-1191781737_thumb.jpg

9) The screen was held on with two strips of sticky tape, and I just used the flathead to prise it away

Connecting the new screen back was straight forward, as was putting the phone back together once I knew where the clips were. I did need to make sure the volume button was lined up with the connection on the circuit however.

I now have a working phone again!

Matt

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest AvieRose

Small tip: when connecting/disconnecting the screen, flip up the black bar (as in photo) as this is a lock in mechanism for the connection. Otherwise you end up forcing it and it's hard to get the connection in properly.

post-364544-1204849118_thumb.jpg

Guest krastins

i just dont understand how u conecting back this cable? i was traying to reconect first my old screen before buying a new and i cant get back this conector in picture red color. can u please tell me did i done all right so far and how to conect back this cable? :D

post-364663-1204853683_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest palah

Hi was very easy to pull apart ... had only seen instructions for a htc p3300 before and was wondering about the orbit as brought with a damaged screen (seem to be a lot of them in the UK) ... all i need now is for the screen to come :D so i can play with what looks like a good PDA... thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest palah

followed instructions and have a challenge...

Orbit will rarely will go into hibernation mode (brought two units with broken screens and exactly the same challenge when back together) and the voice mail button will work on one unit and not the other ... not really worried about the voice mail but the hibernation is a battery killer.

will 'sometimes' go into hibernation mode but on restating come up with an error messge &- asks if i want to turn off the power... if i select YES it reboots and asks the same... if i select NO it will not go back into hibernation ... all this seems to indicate the button is hard up against the motherboard switch ...

so my question is... do you need to reattach the front/rear facia in a particular order or does the mainboard need to be in a particular place?

Have taken both units apart various times with the same result ... if i take out the power button and reassemble it works.. but there is a hole in the side (i don't care but want to give the other to a friend)

Any help would be very appreciated

Guest palah

so my question is... do you need to reattach the front/rear facia in a particular order or does the mainboard need to be in a particular place?

for others .. yes, you need to be careful when putting back together ... after thinking about it more when getting the error 'power will be shut down' on startup plus the power/voicemail button would not work. figured it must of been due to the power button touching the mainboard switch and... being out of position... not touching the voicemail button.

So un-assembled both Orbits and carefully put back together making sure

1. the mainboard was centred before the case or screws were put back

2. make sure the volume slider switch 'small black nob' is in the centre of the 'pick up' slider on the mainboard

3. test that the buttons/hibernation mode is working at each assembly point (put the battery in holding with your hand or flat on table to test)... if not working, redo that stage or go right back and adjust the mainboard position again

Now... have two previously screen dead Orbits .. working fine... for 1/2 the price of a new unit (& that incl. delivery to Australia)

• 1 month later...
Guest heppie

:D

thanks for help with my orbit rebuild stripped it down with no problems slight problem on re build

put it back togetther with new screen but wouldnt light up but was working in back ground

stripped it down again messed around with connection slight pannic on

then slotted batt in while phone was stripped, tryed again and all worked ok

thanks again matt also thanks to modaco

pics really helpfull thanks again

st hepworth

ps sorry about typing skills

• 2 weeks later...
Guest northstorm

When i get to the middle section i am unable to remove this, after looking at the unit in great detail its all one unit with the silver side, its all connected?

Any help would be great.

North

Guest djmadman
The other week I broke the screen for my XDA Orbit, and was quoted over £140 to replace it, but with some checking on ebay I found the parts for a replacement screen to be about £40, so I wasn't going to pay someone £100 when I was sure it wasn't that difficult to open up my phone.

The following instructions I followed to open it up I took at my own risk, knowing it would invalidate my warranty, if anyone else does follow them then they will do so at there own risk.

I used a T6 Torx screwdriver, a piece of flat strong plastic (other people have suggested old credit cards), and a small flathead screwdriver (but not essential).

1) After taking the battery out I also removed the SIM card, the memory card, and the stylus

2) This picture shows the first screws to remove (circled in red), by using the torx

3) I then levered the hole the stylus fits into, by prising up with the end of the stylus (to remove the back cover)

4) Using the plastic tool I slid it around the edge, being careful not to put to much force into it to remove the rest of the clips around the back cover.

This is a picture of the back cover off with the locations of the clips (note the camera hole for orientation)

6) I then removed the middle cover by prising against the front (the front was connected to the circuit), I found if it didn't want to release in one direction, then I would tackle it from the other way round

7) Then to prise off the front cover was straight forward by using the flathead to lever the two clips in red

** The connector circled in yellow is for the front button set, and I didn't need to remove this to change the screen **

8) I then removed the flexi circuit connecting the screen (circled in blue) - I did tear mine, but that is fine for me as the screen was broken anyway, so if I was to do it again I would take more care

9) The screen was held on with two strips of sticky tape, and I just used the flathead to prise it away

Connecting the new screen back was straight forward, as was putting the phone back together once I knew where the clips were. I did need to make sure the volume button was lined up with the connection on the circuit however.

Matt

• 1 month later...
Guest CliveJ

Great guide, thanks - sadly I found it too late

One gotcha for anyone doing this, which I fell foul of

(due to leaving too long between taking it apart and fitting the new screen, and forgetting the order, and also missing that there were additional screws caught in the corner of my parts box)

There are 4 long screws, and 4 short screws. The long screws go into the holes in the far corner of the middle section of the case, and go through to the front, in order to hold it firmly together.

The two middle holes on the bottom, and the two half way up each side are for fitting the backplate, and use the short screws.

Do not put the long screws into these holes - they appear to fit perfectly, and procede to screw through the surface mount components that are next to the USB port, destroying them.

With hindsight, and all the parts, an obvious mistake, but I can't help but wonder if they used the same thread on screwholes adjacent to each other purely in order to ^screw^ with amateur repairers. I note that 3 out of the 4 short holes have surface mount components positioned directly under them.

I conclude:

1) I was stupid and impatient

2) These devices are either badly engineered, or spitefully engineered.

• 2 months later...
Guest mintysport
When i get to the middle section i am unable to remove this, after looking at the unit in great detail its all one unit with the silver side, its all connected?

Any help would be great.

North

I agree with this fella, ive got one and got a full housing but this guide says nothing about how to replace the silver surrounding part of the middle of the phone.

Anyone can help us with this??

Pleaaaase?

• 1 month later...
Guest bmn4711

Hi all,

I also broke the screen of my XDA Orbit accidentally and I got this one to replace it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260309424816

Then I followed the instructions of this website to mount it:

http://www.formymobile.co.uk/orbitdisassembly.php

The operation went fine and the new display looks good, but now it seems that the phone is getting hot when talking and it runs out of battery very quick! A full charge lasts just for 3-4 hours, which is pretty annoying. I think it might be overheating or something...

Anyone had this problem before? How can I fix this?? Thanks!

• 2 years later...
Guest martin-halfdan

Matt

Guest martin-halfdan

Matt

• 3 months later...
Guest the roofer

Matt

THANKS MATT THIS WAS VERY HELPFUL UR A DIAMOND GEEZER. LEE