Set an alarm, switch off phone - phone wakes up at time of alarm

Guest Tothotspur

Guest Tothotspur

I usually switch the phone off at night but i have found the alarm does not wake the phone up at the time of alrm. is there a tweak to do this?

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I may well have missed something and be wrong, but this has never been a feature (or available?) on any WM device...

I stand awaiting to be corrected though!

Guest Tothotspur
I may well have missed something and be wrong, but this has never been a feature (or available?) on any WM device...

I stand awaiting to be corrected though!

i thought this would be a standard feature on nearly all phones but today i did this and the alarm never rang, however once i put the phone on the alarm tone started to ring. would have been late if i hadn't woken up on my own account! Is there no way of doing this then?

Edited by Tothotspur

Guest stanchion
I usually switch the phone off at night but i have found the alarm does not wake the phone up at the time of alrm. is there a tweak to do this?

I use a program called pTravelAlarm. This is a program for WM (including non-phone!) devices which will wake up your device (even from being powered off completely) to alarm at the time you specify. For non-phone or older (like PPC2003) devices, it may require a separate program called "wakeuptweak" to work properly.

stanchion

Edited by stanchion

What kind of "off" are we talking about, just to check. Standby mode (pressing the button once) or shutting it off completly (holding the power button down and pressing yes)

Guest Subliminal Aura

Interesting.

Doesn't wm5/6 allow for the setting of alarms via the > settings system time application like in the good old days of pocket PC 2000+ ?

//edit

Couple of links

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/6/professional/clock.htm

Or as my learned friend below says, you could try a commercial product.

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Guest sc0user_75

Talking of alarms, has anyone else noticed that the alarms on the Kaiser are rubbish. Even if you set your alarm to "Repeat" once the first beeps have gone off you wait a fair few seconds before the next set - by which time you most probably fallen asleep again or even worse didnt hear the beeps in the first place!!!

Guest Subliminal Aura
Talking of alarms, has anyone else noticed that the alarms on the Kaiser are rubbish.

:wub:

Nice to see that after 7 years of development they still haven't fixed the crappy alarm clock.

;) I'm already starting to stray away from buying the Kaiser . . .

BUT I need a PDA :D :D

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Guest sc0user_75

Subliminal, Im very new to the windows mobile seen. but from what I can tell from what Ive read so far is that any small problems - such as the alarm - can easily be fixed with a Cab file from 1 of he geniuses on here ;)

Guest Subliminal Aura
Subliminal, Im very new to the windows mobile seen. but from what I can tell from what Ive read so far is that any small problems - such as the alarm - can easily be fixed with a Cab file from 1 of he geniuses on here ;)

Don't worry I'm a noob too (I've been out of the loop for a while) - I got fed up with GPRS/hcd connections years back and am just coming back round to the thought as it appears that the devices and packages are *almost* up to the job of delivering what I wanted many moons back.

Guest Neil5459
SPB Time might do this, when my replacement phone arrives tomorrow I'll check for you.

DJ

There are definitely problems (still ;) ) with the built-in alarm systems of WM5 and WM6- for some people they work OK, for some they are flakey, for others they won't work at all. Totally unacceptable as it's been known since the PPC2000 days.

@Tothotspur: Putting your device into standby (power button short press) should be all you need to do- the alarm to wake the device at the requisite time. Turning it off completely (long press on power button) will never work with any program, as all processes including the internal timers are suspended, and the device soft resets when you wake it up by another long press on Power.

@DJ-Enigma: SpB Time does not work on WM6 yet. It appears to be OK, but it won't wake until you manually turn the device on, then it seems to give 2 occurrences of the same alarm. The only 3rd party alarm program I've got to work reliably is Chronos, by Activekitten. V3.5 is optimised for WM6, but V3 works fine as well.

No, but the "device" was "off" in terms of standby (a single press) rather than hard off. It's impossible to actually get anything to wake the device from "Hard off" (when you press and hold the power button and then press yes) because the devices's hardware is mainly off.

Guest awarner (MVP)

When the phone is powered off and not just in hibernation it can not wake up by itself. The reason for this is that as all alarm aplications etc require the OS to be running and the OS does not run when the power is off.

Other devices like nokia etc have a basic core system running even when the phone if in it's "off" state to wake the phone, as some supposed back up batteries on these other devices do not control the rtc.

Guest Tothotspur

i was talking about off (a long press of the off button). Thanks for the info guys still a noob at this. Will have to buy an alarm clock!

Guest DJ_Enigma
@DJ-Enigma: SpB Time does not work on WM6 yet. It appears to be OK, but it won't wake until you manually turn the device on, then it seems to give 2 occurrences of the same alarm.

Confirmed. Just tried this and it doesn't work ;)

Guest Neil5459
Confirmed. Just tried this and it doesn't work ;)

:wub: :D and no sign of a fix yet- AFAIK they're not even B testing an update.

Give Chronos a try. Cold comfort if you've already splashed out for Time, but at least it works. User Interface isn't as nice, and some features missing, but it does now have a Today plugin, and at least it works reliably (Until the end of the trial period when the alarms just stop!)

Guest Neil5459
i was talking about off (a long press of the off button). Thanks for the info guys still a noob at this. Will have to buy an alarm clock!

Why would you want to turn it fully off? This is usually just for when you won't be using it for an extended period (more than a few days), to save the battery. In standby, the battery will last up over a week with the radio in Flight Mode, and a good few days with the phone radio on.

There are other functions for using standby, or the various radio stacks power states, without resorting to the fully off state.

Guest Tothotspur
Why would you want to turn it fully off? This is usually just for when you won't be using it for an extended period (more than a few days), to save the battery. In standby, the battery will last up over a week with the radio in Flight Mode, and a good few days with the phone radio on.

There are other functions for using standby, or the various radio stacks power states, without resorting to the fully off state.

i just think its good to give the phone a rest. never use it at night so see no reason to have it on. i have always done this

Guest Neil5459

You may actually be doing it more harm than good ;) The phone doesn't need a 'rest'- flight mode is enough for the phone radio, and the rest of the electronics are better for a steady state of power.

After the 'Full Power Off' the device does a soft reset when you wake it up. Now, that is good for clearing memory errors, but does lead to many more read/write cycles in the flash memory. These have a finite number of cycles before errors occur.

So, if you keep turning it off fully, you may reduce it's life span to about 10 years :wub: :D

You may actually be doing it more harm than good ;) The phone doesn't need a 'rest'- flight mode is enough for the phone radio, and the rest of the electronics are better for a steady state of power.

After the 'Full Power Off' the device does a soft reset when you wake it up. Now, that is good for clearing memory errors, but does lead to many more read/write cycles in the flash memory. These have a finite number of cycles before errors occur.

So, if you keep turning it off fully, you may reduce it's life span to about 10 years :wub: :D

And if you keep this phone for 10 years I wanna know if the screen still works too. :D plus if you have got bored of it by then :D

Guest Tothotspur

ok thanks for the tip :D will do this

hopefully i will only need 18 months of service from it though :D