TYTN 2 on 3 network

Guest thecubanboys

Guest thecubanboys

hey

im new to this game. just wondering before i fork out the cash if my 3 sim card (i've had for 2 years) will work in a tytn 2? bought a htc s710 and had 2 pass it on because it didnt have 3g. i know the tytn has 3g but is there something about the 3 sim cards being locked that they will only work in 3 approved handsets??

your help would be much appreciated,

cheers

steven

Guest Rush242
im new to this game. just wondering before i fork out the cash if my 3 sim card (i've had for 2 years) will work in a tytn 2? bought a htc s710 and had 2 pass it on because it didnt have 3g. i know the tytn has 3g but is there something about the 3 sim cards being locked that they will only work in 3 approved handsets??

Well, as usual, there's a bunch of jackasses working at the 3 stores on Oxford Street.

I walked in and asked to buy the sim, because for 5 pounds a month, it's "unlimited" internet. They said it wouldn't work since my Kaiser wasn't a 3 phone. Pfffft.

I said let me try. So he popped the SIM out of one of their tester phones, and a minute later I was surfing the web and making video phone calls. What "won't work" is simply their fiddly little button on their phones that just go to their website and give you all the details on your account automatically. Big deal, browse to their actual website or do it at home.

Since that time I've had nothing but good experiences with 3 and their SIM. It's a stellar deal as well. WAY better than I would have gotten from T-Mobile.

Either way, you'll be fine.

Guest Rush242
Woah, hang on a min, 5 quid a month unlimited internet? Is that prepay or contract? Think I missed something? ;)

Nope, 5quid. I looked everywhere. Because being as London likes to call itself the financial capital of the world, it could also be called the place with the most backwoods banking laws on earth.

I'm from the U.S., living in London, so no one would give me a monthly plan, because I "don't have a credit rating." It seems I can afford to live and go to school here and still somehow use an American Express card, but, a crappy mobile plan? No way.

Regardless, 3 was the way to go for SIM only PAYG. Use the SIM, and pick their "addons" that last a month. "Unlimited" internet 5 quid, "unlimited" international calling 15 quid, et cetera.

And no issues whatsoever with the Kaiser, connecting, et cetera.

Guest mark4130

I get the £5 Unlimited internet on my account (although Im sure its a 1gig fair use thingy).

Have to agree, I havent had any problems with 3 so far, my SPV M3100 works better on 3 than it ever did on Orange!!!

Guest Confucious

The £5/month data on 3 has been out for a while along with very cheap voice plans.

IF you live in an area where you get reception it is a good deal - unfortunatly the vast majority of people I know who have tried 3 have given up on them rapidly. A coleague in Woking uses them and says they are fine and as I'm moving to Woking in a couple of weeks it might be worth looking at for my g/f again.

To say that their network coverage isn't the best in the world is an understatement and when they were using O2 for 2G the habdover was awful - not sure what it's like now they are partnered with O but I think the problem used to be (maybe still is?) that they want you to hang on to a 3G signal even when it's not really viable as they have to pay for 2G usage.

If you have a good 3G signal with 3 then it's a good deal but everyone I know who's tried (mainly in Sussex) has given up on them as a bad deal.

Does anyone know if they have HSDPA coverage or if it's just 3G?

Guest Flubster

I'm using my kaiser on 3 payg and its fine

the £5 for a month addon works well

Add Internet Daily. For 50p you get a whole day's web surfing. There is a data limit of 120 MB which is roughly 3000 web pages! If you exceed this limit you will go back to being a Casual User at £1 per MB. But don't worry - we will send you an SMS as soon as this happens to warn you. If you purchased two Internet add-ons the second one will become active as soon as the first one has expired.

Add Internet Weekly. For £2.50, you get a whole week's web surfing, with a data limit of 500 MB

Add Internet Monthly. For £5.00, you get a whole month's web surfing, with a data limit of 2 GB

if you use the settings listed here: http://www.modaco.com/Vodafone-Live-Settings-t259142.html and fake your kaiser as a n95 all the planet3 services work fine.

Very happy, cheap as chips. £5 for internet and £5 for 80 txt's wicked.

Flubster

Edited by Flubster

Guest jimbouk

A year or two ago, a friend of mine bought a 3g handset abroad, popped her 3g sim in and a week later got a warning text saying: you are not using a 3 handset, your account will be disabled in 7 days... and they did!

Have they changed it now then?

Guest Confucious

Was it a 2100 UMTS handset? If it worked on a differend band and couldn't connect via 3G then they will, I believe, teminate the connection but they shouldn't if it can connect via 3G!

Guest jimbouk
Was it a 2100 UMTS handset? If it worked on a differend band and couldn't connect via 3G then they will, I believe, teminate the connection but they shouldn't if it can connect via 3G!

Ah... she bought it in Dubai so probably was wrong band... !

Guest Rush242
If you have a good 3G signal with 3 then it's a good deal but everyone I know who's tried (mainly in Sussex) has given up on them as a bad deal.

Does anyone know if they have HSDPA coverage or if it's just 3G?

True, but signal is always an issue, with every carrier--it just depends on too many factors.

Yes, HSDPA. I use it all the time.

Guest Neil5459
A year or two ago, a friend of mine bought a 3g handset abroad, popped her 3g sim in and a week later got a warning text saying: you are not using a 3 handset, your account will be disabled in 7 days... and they did!

Have they changed it now then?

Their T&C changed in January 2007, to allow any 3G enabled phone/PDA to be used to access 3's services. One caveat is that you are not allowed to constrain the device to GSM (3's own phones can't be band limited) as 3 have to pay Orange or O2 for GSM services.

If they detect you making use of GSM when there is a 3 3G signal available they can terminate your account, which I suppose is only fair!

Guest Confucious
True, but signal is always an issue, with every carrier--it just depends on too many factors.

Yes, HSDPA. I use it all the time.

This is true, but I believe it is worse with Three due to the fact that they don't own their 2G network. If you have full 3G coverage everywhere you go it shouldn't be a problem.